1/32 Trumpeter P-47D as P-47D-1 42-7924 flown by Frank D. Gallion, lost November 3rd, 1943 DECALS ON

7 minutes ago, VT Red Sox Fan said:

Elger, what a great build—I don’t have much to add because I learn so much from your work—if I may, 2 quick questions and I apologize if I missed them in this catch up—what brand or mix did you use for Bronze Green and what grey did you use for the crankcase?  Amazing work and thanks for sharing—best, Erwin 

Thanks! Both are Vallejo Model Color paints; the green is 70980 Black Green and the grey is 70869 Basalt Grey.

• Thanks 1

One detail I had postponed until now was the 108 gallon fuel tank. Even though it's not great I'll be using the kit item - I think I'm going to sand down the ridges at the front and back. More importantly however I decided to add the pipes. I carefully bent some stretched clear sprue to simulate the glass pipes of the plumbing. There was a very useful thread over on LSP that I used for reference:

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/92155-anyone-have-any-decent-photos-of-p47-flat-belly-tank-plumbing/

0QJ9ldy.jpg

M9Z6ZnG.jpg

As always, thanks for looking!

• Like 4

I did not take a picture of the white ID bands, but I did snap one after priming it black with Mig One Shot:

bLcVxZU.jpg

After this coat, I'm trying something new: instead of pre-shading I'm going to see what the result is of "reverse pre-shading" in the sense that I painted all the panel and rivet lines with a light version of Olive Drab. My thinking is that when I follow this up with a thin coat of regular Olive Drab the panel lines might look elevated and the darker bits recessed, creating a bit of oil canning effect. (I think regular preshading gets it the wrong way around)

Just a little experiment:

JoCt7ro.jpg

I'll update you about the results :)

• Like 10

The underside received the same 'reverse preshading' treatment. First a coat of lightened Neutral Gray:

2mghT93.jpg

Next this was filled in with Neutral Gray mixed with clear gloss and this was misted on. The fuselage centre and the cowl was treated with the more traditional marbling.

x9iItx1.jpg

There's a couple of touch ups needed but overall the main paint job has gone rather well. This was my second use of AK Interactive Third Generation acrylics and they went on very smoothly.

vCR9UDu.jpg

Thanks for looking!!

• Like 7

Using my Silhouette Cameo cutter I created a mask for the aircraft's name, "Mike III". I'm guessing yellow paint was used.

J2JjBKp.jpg

It came out alright (hope the minor touch ups needed will fade under a coat of clear flat)

aD8JTXO.jpg

Now it's ready for decals:

vcPlvY4.jpg

Thanks for looking!

• Like 7

Decals are on :) A couple of stencils I used from the kit (the kit has stencils for the early Curtiss Electric propeller) but most are from Kits-World. I ended up needing to buy a second of their P-47 stencils and insignia sheet because 42-7924 had national insignia on both lower wings so I needed a third set. The radio code and the serial number also came from Kits-World decal sheets. I made the "F" out of another "P". The Kits-World decals are very nice to use, although the white is a little translucent.

2vle8RD.jpg

I did some more work 'restoring' the name Mike III and now it looks acceptable.

X6E5rFp.jpg

The underside with the stars on both wings:

tDrlVwR.jpg

I've already sealed the decals with a coat of clear gloss. Next up: weathering. As always, thanks for looking!

• Like 11

• elger changed the title to 1/32 Trumpeter P-47D as P-47D-1 42-7924 flown by Frank D. Gallion, lost November 3rd, 1943 DECALS ON

The pre shade has worked really well. I’m not sure if it’s because it’s different to what I’m used to but for some reason it feels odd, but I do like it.  I’ll need to have more looks at her tomorrow. Interesting that the central fuselage on the underside was more traditional as in light in the panel  centre and dark at the edges. Why did you decide to do both? Just curious and intrigued. Excellent work on all accounts though. 👌👌👌

Johnny

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

The pre shade has worked really well. I’m not sure if it’s because it’s different to what I’m used to but for some reason it feels odd, but I do like it.  I’ll need to have more looks at her tomorrow. Interesting that the central fuselage on the underside was more traditional as in light in the panel  centre and dark at the edges. Why did you decide to do both? Just curious and intrigued. Excellent work on all accounts though. 👌👌👌

Johnny

Thanks! I did the more traditional marbling and leaving the panel lines darker in areas that had large panels (like the belly underside and the cowl). The reverse preshading appears to have the most convincing effect in areas where there are small panels. But I do realize that the optical oil canning illusion that it aims to create is that the panels are recessed (that they are 'sucked' into the surface in the middle and are raised where the panel/rivet lines are) rather than that they are bulging out (being raised in the middle of the panel and the panel/rivet lines being recessed).

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, elger said:

Thanks! I did the more traditional marbling and leaving the panel lines darker in areas that had large panels (like the belly underside and the cowl). The reverse preshading appears to have the most convincing effect in areas where there are small panels. But I do realize that the optical oil canning illusion that it aims to create is that the panels are recessed (that they are 'sucked' into the surface in the middle and are raised where the panel/rivet lines are) rather than that they are bulging out (being raised in the middle of the panel and the panel/rivet lines being recessed).

Ahhhh I see what you’re doing now. I didn’t realise you were getting the panels to look indented slightly. It does work but it still messes with my mojo. Permission to carry on. 

Johnny

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi elger,        as a talking point, I never use black as a wash, not even on a recent black model. For many years I’ve used a dark brown wash for almost everything, but , another recent P-47 build saw me taking a whole different path, this time around saw me using dark green for the olive drab, and a blue-ish wash for the neutral grey. If you’ve ever been to RAF Cosford and looked at the RAF Hercules from a distance your eyes will be telling you the panel lines are dark green. Also of note is how I’d weathered the model prior to the panel line wash, I have for a long while sprayed the panel lines a weathering colour in this case faded olive drab, this then made the dark green pin wash pop out.    😉

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...