Westland Wasp HAS 1: 'Ambuscade Flight: XT778'

Even I dont look for all the pipes Tony.

Nice to see that sophisticated Rotoflex coupling on the drive shaft, wish I'd had those for my various Imps that developed driveshaft coupling failure...

More stupendous work Tony.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TheBaron said:

.Mesozoic period top notes, with a fruity, almost Cenozoic aftertaste...'

And the Mother of all hangovers. 

Thanks for the typo correction. Politics. Thankfully Mike banned the subject. I'm sick of it all. Bunch of egomaiacs.

Nice renderings as always. 

Judy Tzuke. Stay with me till Dawn. It was on the radio yesterday. Always loved it. 'Lush with yearning' Perfect summation.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, giemme said:
18 hours ago, TheBaron said:

That'll be a triple espresso then.

A well deserved one! :clap:  :clap:

Just having a rather less well deserved double espresso myself.  And finding it an inadequate aid to comprehension; given up trying to understand what you’re doing and resolved to just be thankful that you’re doing it and letting us in on the process…. 

• Haha 6

• TheBaron changed the title to Westland Wasp HAS 1: 'Ambuscade Flight: XT778'

I finally settled on a fitting subject for the build last night:

309505226_457420896418520_5652977317594168386_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=09cbfe&_nc_ohc=CgHITqAORU0AX91Z1vN&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub5-1.fna&oh=00_AT8PLJLtS7ZeiqhFJIgQo-7jPiOHmzutfbvhWBW-_rUlng&oe=635C74A6

More in a moment....answerphone messages first.

On 21/10/2022 at 13:54, perdu said:

Even I dont look for all the pipes Tony.

Outrageous! :laugh:

Next you'll be telling us them hosses of yours don't have the correct number of hairs in their tails Bill....

On 21/10/2022 at 16:05, giemme said:

A well deserved one!

😁 

All good coffee is well-deserved in my book G. 

And tea.

And, well, any thing containing caffeine really!

On 21/10/2022 at 18:06, Pete in Lincs said:

And the Mother of all hangovers. 

On the plus side you could start helicopters with your breath.

On 21/10/2022 at 19:37, bigbadbadge said:

antastic renderings and loving the fact it even creates shadows. 

Often just where you don't want them Chris! :rofl:

(You can turn them off but it looks odd....)

On 21/10/2022 at 21:48, mark.au said:

Come for the modelling, stay for the poetry.

Also available for obscene limericks, although you find me cruelly deprived of anything to rhyme with Wasp at present... 🤔

On 22/10/2022 at 07:44, Fritag said:

ust having a rather less well deserved double espresso myself.  And finding it an inadequate aid to comprehension; given up trying to understand what you’re doing and resolved to just be thankful that you’re doing it and letting us in on the process…. 

I think I know what I'm doing (with the Wasp, not life in general, just to be clear), but as to the why, well, that's a source of constant speculation.

I may have been deprived of helicopters as a child?

You'll recall me bleating about wanting to build a torpedo-toting version of the Wasp whilst ruing the necessary exclusion of the missile sight. Well, there I was last evening disconsolately leafing through the webpages of the HMS Ambuscade Association (we've all done it) when I found a photo of their Wasp running with torpedo, flares and APX/BEZU sight all clearly fitted together at the same time. I can't embed the photo as their albums are protected but the image in question is this one:

http://www.ambuscade.org.uk/Images/Slideshows/David Marchant/album/slides/scan0025_jpg.html

In fact David Marchant's crew page from which it is drawn is a treasury of period 1970s photography, almost bordering on photojournalism/social history in the way he captures people and events:

http://www.ambuscade.org.uk/Images/Slideshows/David Marchant/album/index.html

As well as his excellent description of Ambuscade's helicopter operations here:

http://www.ambuscade.org.uk/am_sea_ops_Flight.htm

You never know what you're going to find do you? So glad to have discovered David's references buried away in the Association's pages like that, making this now officially Wasp XT778 ('323' in the period 1976-80). 😄

Nimbus update to follow later this evening.....

• Like 9

Result! I'm really happy that you now have a definite 'target' so to speak. Looking forward to more, and I'll have a butchers at those links.

22 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

I may have been deprived of helicopters as a child?

54F45uaZHF_5aP8LJ3yjAuR7Gtcrszrqx8ll1yBx

Whereas I have a memory of playing with the Scalecraft Wessex. Wish I knew what happened to it.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Figuring there were too many other features of the engine deck that have to line up with another it was time to take the plunge and begin work on the Nmbus itself.

The main 'core' - as it were - from urbine, forwards through the bulge of the combustion chamber and axial compressor up to the forward intake was a relatively straightforward matter of using a dimensioned drawing to revolve a profile from:

52449202420_7976171817_b.jpg

- which in turn (no pun intended...) lead to a relatively straightforward panic attack upon realizing that the wide mouth of the air intake up front then completely buries the three couplings sticking out the rear of the MRGB! 

That is, until you belatedly check your references for yet another instance of not seeing what was staring you in the face the whole time, which is that the intake does indeed cover up the oil and hydraulic pumps on either side unless you cut the required sections out of it on either side like the real thing:

spacer.png

Image credit: Graeme Molineux

Lacking any manual for the Nimbus but posessing a digital copy of RR's brochure for the engine (which contains some excellent technical drawings and a table of dimensions) was also most useful in confirming those cutouts to the lower qudrants of the intake:

52448237332_20cff41564_b.jpg

If I bung the MRGB back in for a moment you can see the kind of clearances we're talking about under there:

52448237317_b5a616dba3_b.jpg

Pretty tight!

I haven't worked out yet what some of these fittings are for around the rear of the intake but that long feature mounted at an angle halfway up appears to be a level gauge - perhaps for engine oil?

52449033344_689e0dc32c_b.jpg

Tucked away under all the components bolted around the Nimbus are a ribcage around the compressor up front and a trio of rectangular features around the the turbine drum down at the rear:

52448762896_98bfb1b95f_b.jpg

That and a whole shed load of bolts....

52448762906_4f92a54575_b.jpg

I see I've missed a ring of them in that shot. Bugger.

The Westland lads went a bid mad with the ruler and compass on this bit to be honest:

52451235245_72a594e7de_b.jpg

Bolted to the turbine drum, this cradle provides moubting points for the reduction gearing and output unit that sits below the exhaust:

52451309683_5462859eac_b.jpg

I've just blocked those latter units in temporarily here with some basic cylinders to aid the design work on that cradle; there'll doubtless be some back and forth involved when tweaking the relationship between those two structures in terms of aligning specific details later.

52451749539_719c858807_b.jpg

52451474681_bcee94a161_b.jpg

52451923890_cea43a3927_b.jpg

52451474706_9cf9c6fc9a_b.jpg

52 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Whereas I have a memory of playing with the Scalecraft Wessex. Wish I knew what happened to it

Lovely graphic Pete!

:bye:

Tony

• Like 21

Great choice of scheme and load out...Gonna look amazing!

I am hearing back from the Museums collection manager today as to a time to do some measuring for you.  How are you off for the flotation devices, need anything measured etc there?

Another great update, you deserve a brew for that....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Great choice of scheme and load out...Gonna look amazing!

Thanks Anthony! At least this way I get to keep the sight so a decent compromise.... 😁

1 hour ago, Anthony in NZ said:

I am hearing back from the Museums collection manager today as to a time to do some measuring for you.  How are you off for the flotation devices, need anything measured etc there?

Oh you sweet man!

If your tape were able to drape over any of the following areas, that would be enormously helpful:

• Rotor blade breadth/width (tail & main)
  • Width/length for that big floation gear lozenge and struts would be most helpful.
  • Wheel hub diameter
  • Width of tailplane
  • Width/height of pilot seat/back
  • Any dimensions you can get for the torpedo mounts...

Now all I have to do is work out what to get you for Christmas....

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Glad you have picked a prototype to model.

It was getting a bit late in the day - especially as the engine exhaust is imminent and I needed to know which of the two kinds to do.... 😄

• Like 6

Excellent news on the Ambascude Wasp loadout. What were the chances of finding such a shot! 

Always liked the lines of the Type 21 frigates and I recall how futuristic they looked to my eye when they first appeared. I think I built my way through a couple of the old Airfix Amazons.

Very nice work indeed on the Nimbus. A masterpiece in its own right.

Terry

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Amazing turbine Tony....

And great choice of model...

Mmmmh I go to get my Large Latte Macchiatto with Nocchiolla syrup in it...

I must stay out of this 3D wizardries, I'm far too mad for that.....:whistle:

:mike:

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

55 minutes ago, Fritag said:

You must be fluent and fast in Fusion now; either that or chained to the computer 24/7.  More masterful CAD.

Must be a combination of both... :D  

At any rate, that engine is looking mighty impressive already, Tony!  :worthy:  :clap:  :clap: 

Ciao

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Masterful it is, isn't it?

Have a delighted wow from me.

This image has me almost drooling, so detailed already

52451474706_9cf9c6fc9a_b.jpg

Saved already for my nefarious purposes

I did wonder if you were going to do as much to the drive shaft then I realised you had stopped it in the right place to add the coupler sleeve to the rear bearing.

Studying that in my set of archive Scout photos (same device children!) I found a smashing shot of the coupler with a metal data plate wrapped round it

westland-scout-ah1-xt626-23-of-54.jpg

Bugger, means I have to try that in 72th scale for my next Scout. Yup next!

Found this and a few other relevant pics in said archive if it is any help.

aafx19.jpg

Let me know if they'd help Tony

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Oh you sweet man!

If your tape were able to drape over any of the following areas, that would be enormously helpful:

• Rotor blade breadth/width (tail & main)
  • Width/length for that big floation gear lozenge and struts would be most helpful.
  • Wheel hub diameter
  • Width of tailplane
  • Width/height of pilot seat/back
  • Any dimensions you can get for the torpedo mounts...

Now all I have to do is work out what to get you for Christmas....

Hahaha, my pleasure buddy!  I can get all that stuff for you. You dont need blade length?  I guess plans tell you the rotor dia.

Watching this come together is gift enough for xmas, thoroughly enjoying the journey :wub:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Those errant bolts never stood a chance. Looking good so far Tony!

It's amazing what "a good looking at" can achieve. I'm still discovering details on the Taube, usually extra rigging ...

Ian

• Haha 5

OK I've just got back and am trying to make sense of my scribblings so will do this in several parts...

WHEEL

Hub dia =200mm

Tyre dia =375mm

Tyre width = 120mm

Fork width =225mm

This is outer face of wheel

ZPDqO4.jpg

Inner face

c6ioRC.jpg

Inner on other side of fork

WEDc6Y.jpg

hMkJ7d.jpg

VISsqw.jpg

Ok, on to decipher next load.  Hope this is ok and I havent missed anything?

Cheers Anthony

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1