Westland Wasp HAS 1: 'Ambuscade Flight: XT778'

Part 6:  TORPEDO CRUTCHES

Stbd crutch  (rear to the left & pointing forwards to the right of image)

Unobstructed

yoCScL.jpg

Measurements

b7icOR.jpg

Unobstructed

PcK8JB.jpg

With measurements

NuDCPr.jpg

giPYwB.jpg

Darn I just realised I didnt get the width of the crutch/stabilizer.  I will see if someone ca do that who lives closer than me

Edited by Anthony in NZ
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

OK 

Part 7: FLOTATION GEAR

This will be long

Port forward mount looking forward

rgLc6Q.jpg

looking at the side

8nOa2A.jpg

It's just as easy to take a photo of my sketch with measurements. The 1280 measurement is tube mount centres

SXLvRQ.jpg

Pics of the unit itself

J1ui63.jpg

4auFVt.jpg

Stbd side from rear

led4Be.jpg

0Sv6T9.jpg

GhPuGx.jpg

tFqM6i.jpg

UZ7mW3.jpg

bDy54e.jpg

VONT4j.jpg

More to follow, stay tuned

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

As much as I hate to have to follow @Anthony in NZ’s wonderful reference photographs with my simple appreciation and congratulatory message concerning this ‘ere ‘elicopter what you’re making.

A rare quiet fourty five minutes catch up has left me in awe and wondering at what angle I would print all of that lovely detail. I always seem to find islands even where I thought there were none. You are however a lot more experienced in the art of the resin so I will watch and learn. 
very much looking forward to the next set of prints. 

Johnny.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Part 8:  FRONT STAY's

sJLRgu.jpg

Unobstructed

ArkoGD.jpg

Overall

ofXCqB.jpg

This is where I goofed up and realised later on.  I thought the mounting tubes for the flotation gear mounted to the rollover beam structure running around the ('B' pillar at rear of rear of door frame), but it actually mounts to the fuse structure...duh!

This is what I got

gZ43mQ.jpg

Without all the writing

DUnpS5.jpg

As you can see.....

gHpPgj.jpg

Hope you can rescue something from that...sorry

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Part 9: MISC

F1Y00z.jpg

i0F57n.jpg

G5Nodh.jpg

yGFZSA.jpg

pIesLI.jpg

5yahKE.jpg

YrjlGj.jpg

CdpXMc.jpg

PPPNQv.jpg

ycoTdp.jpg

DmDx8r.jpg

NINgXg.jpg

cBsBdq.jpg

rNqP8t.jpg

3EkEcC.jpg

kMyNZN.jpg

wKz7Ho.jpg

ot5tvu.jpg

334HvY.jpg

And after all that I just realised I didnt measure the rear mounting tube lengths....I blame it on the museum guy talking to me the whole time LOL

That's all I got for now

Cheers

Anthony

Edited by Anthony in NZ
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, perdu said:

Wonderful picturising Anthony, I think I could build one better after seeing these beauties.

As Bill says Anthony @Anthony in NZ a simply wonderful and incredibly well documented set of photos and dimensions. 

But wait ............ what thickness is the pile on those sheepskin seat covers?

😁

Terry

• Haha 10

Detail pictures don't get much more comprehensive than that. Well done Anthony. You deserve a lie down.

1 hour ago, Terry1954 said:

But wait ............ what thickness is the pile on those sheepskin seat covers?

Who left a pile on the sheepskin seatcovers? I was nowhere near them Guv.

Didn't someone on here model these covers from dried teabags? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Awwww thanks guys, I’m so pleased ya’all like them, took me a long time  but you’re comments and Tony’s PM make it all worthwhile 

I’m passing the help forward as I’ve been the recipient of such help with the conversion of my 1/32 Tamiya Phantom into an RAF FG.1….speaking of which I best see if I can get some done before the weekend is out.

cheers guys 

Anthony

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Good evening everyone.

As it's Samhain eve,  I must make you aware that Cthulhu has risen:

52465596053_8e3842f82f_b.jpg

Well, it's really a distressed victim of the Ash dieback that's rife here in Ireland but when you drive past it in the half-light, it does indeed appear to be waiting, dreaming....

I can not start tonight's post without marking the level of altruism that the Wasp seems brought out in so many people since I began this build/psychiatric condition -  @Anthony in NZ's remarkably generous pilgrimage at the weekend is but the latest evidence that this little whirligig of a helicopter seems to enjoy such enduring affection. Blessings upon  all who have contributed to what is rapidly becoming a community project...! 🙏

On 24/10/2022 at 20:55, keefr22 said:

h 'eck, I know I'm always late, but page 11....

:rofl:I'll type slower Keith.

On 25/10/2022 at 05:39, Pete in Lincs said:

Great spaceship. Well it is to my fevered mind anyway.

Great minds Pete - I'm thinking Rendezvous with Rama?

On 25/10/2022 at 06:09, Terry1954 said:

Excellent news on the Ambascude Wasp loadout. What were the chances of finding such a shot! 

One did not dare 'ope but one were mightily chuffed at that find Terry. 😁

On 25/10/2022 at 06:09, Terry1954 said:

Always liked the lines of the Type 21 frigates and I recall how futuristic they looked to my eye when they first appeared. I think I built my way through a couple of the old Airfix Amazons.

I know what you mean. For me the sleek Leander has the same appeal, having made this on several occasions as a lad in the 70s:

Type%204%20HMS%20Leander.jpg

Wouldn't be at all put out to make one again either!

On 25/10/2022 at 06:41, corsaircorp said:

I must stay out of this 3D wizardries, I'm far too mad for that

No you're not. :rofl2:

On 25/10/2022 at 06:50, Fritag said:

More masterful CAD.

A comma after that 'more' and it would have been a whole different sentence...😁

On 25/10/2022 at 07:46, giemme said:

At any rate, that engine is looking mighty impressive already, Tony! 

Most kind G, though I have to say that new bits seem to appear on the Nimbus the longer you stare at it! 😆

On 25/10/2022 at 08:32, perdu said:

I found a smashing shot of the coupler with a metal data plate wrapped round it

Superb Bill.

In fact both those references have found their way into my image boards now - my thanks. I read in The Royal Navy Wasp: An Operational & Retirement History that the rotor brake on the Wasp was one of several differences with the Scout, the Mk. 103/503 engine on the RN Wasp having a twin caliper brake (instead of a single one) to slow the blades more effectively in high winds at sea.

On 27/10/2022 at 07:16, Anthony in NZ said:

Oops double post

You seem to have posted a lot of photos of something as well... :worthy::thumbsup: 🤝

On 29/10/2022 at 05:29, Anthony in NZ said:

Phew, still lots more to go but I gotta have a break and a cuppa!

Aha! Think I know what to send you now... 😁

On 29/10/2022 at 11:13, Terry1954 said:

Those numbers are listed in the Buttock Management section of the PN for the Wasp iirc.

On 29/10/2022 at 12:28, Pete in Lincs said:

Didn't someone on here model these covers from dried teabags? 

My neighbour Martin put sheep out in the field next door last week: I might ask him if I can cut a couple of squares off one of them.

On 29/10/2022 at 14:13, Brandy said:

Fantastic photos, job well done and a perfect example of the spirit of BM!

Summed up perfectly Ian.

I've a few pictures of a single component to show you this evening as spare time last week was utterly dominated by trying to build the exhaust fork ar the rear of the Nimbus. As both Bill and Alan can attest from their own Waspistry, these are the Devil's Own Nostrils when it comes to describing the way that shape and profile change,flow and bend along and around their extents.

Also worth noting that there are two types of exhaust to consider with this subject- the stubbier, more barrel like (in side aspect) one of the kind that XT778 has in Ambuscade-era photographs, and the other type with a more conical side aspect. As these seem to have been common between both Wasp and Scout, I've no idea whether one might be an  earlier or later variant, or why as to why one and not the other might be fitted.

I'm learning that at 1/24, not only is a lot more detail visible (in terms of components) but that shape information is similarly visible in greater detail than the 1/72 I've been used to in the past. Obvious you might think and of course it is, but it has proven to be a good example over the course of the last week that such differences will sometimes require a change in methodology.

Much of what I do is involves 'standard' drawing and lofting processes in Fusion and that was exactly how I began this time around for the exhaust:

52465286344_a08d5ef48e_b.jpg

(Harking back to Pete's spacecraft mention earlier, that image has a certain Gemini-Agena rendezvous vibe...)

The stubbier version of this item starts out circular in cross section at the rear before gradually narrowing at the sides to become more and more oblate as it moves forward to curve inward at a shoulder like feature and then blend into the circular rear of the turbine drum. Lest that be too easy there is a circular opening in the centre of it up front as welto proved a nest for  the reduction gearbox and its asociated gubbins.

Trying to draw and loft that set of profiles and cross sections in a convincing manner at this scale just didn't work for me: yes you could build the main exhaust tunnel and then the inward curve and the central opening as separate elements and combine them together, but then adding fillets to blend the sections together it just looked like, well, a series of discontinuous shapes filleted together. At 1/72 it wouldn't have mattered as a lot of that shape information would have been lost, but here, it's absence would be present for all to see.

If you see what I mean.

A classic case of tunnel vision when it comes to habitually using certain tools, so I had to have a rethink. Eventually I concluded that the only feasible method at this scale of creating the exhaust as a series of continuous surfaces was to move from the standard design workspace in Fusion, into the use of T-Splines in the 'Forms' work area (basically ditching drawing in favour of straightforward scultping).

This was one of several initial trials to give you an idea of some of the formal problems involved up at the front where it starts to get really messy:

52465467210_611e7c7a3a_b.jpg

The shape's still wrong there in several respects but it gives you the idea of the problems involved in trying to 'morph' a cylindrical feature through 90° into teo smaller cylinders split around an opening. Each version got slightly better as I tried eliminate detail down to the essence of the forms involved. By this morning I had this - a single continuous form incorporating exhaust tunnel, opening and turbine mounting:

52464505582_3e10cfaf76_b.jpg

Mirrored and stitched:

52465554208_7b3d792750_b.jpg

Further tweaking needed but it was getting there. Impossible to simply thicken that convoluted shape to give a wall thickness for printing of course, so the reliable workaround of patching and stitching separeate surfaces to produce a solid form was used (to be hollowed out later at the print stage):

52465554218_6b1127cbfa_b.jpg

That 'shoulder' is too abrupt at this stage still, but a good view of where the work was needed belnding the return of the shoulder into the cylindrical form that mates withthe turbine drum. Not forgetting the tight tolerances necessary for tit to clear the lower cradle feature:

52465001521_555715dbac_b.jpg

As a compromise between strength and visual fidelity, the wal thickness of the exhuast forks is 0.7mm, withthe final 2-3mm bevelling down from that to give a 0.2mm thickness to the lip:

52465467265_43d2176de5_b.jpg

Some final renders then of the finished result, ith shoulders calmed down to give a better 'flow' through 90° from exhaust to turbine, ribs and thermocouples added to rear of exhausts:

52464505662_8b7cb0a84f_b.jpg

From below, AKA: 'What the totor brake saw':

52465554298_ed89cf78e1_b.jpg

52465554323_c8970e3b2a_b.jpg

Side aspects:

52464505677_147b7f0463_b.jpg

52465554363_04ba7606cc_b.jpg

Overhead/obliques:

52465554378_2deb245db7_b.jpg

52465467310_10785b32f6_b.jpg

52465286534_e5cb3e5671_b.jpg

Ensemble:

52465467320_c31b354e14_b.jpg

52465286549_3faed1d7fd_b.jpg

That reduction gearbox which sits inside the exhausts is up next - impossible to see the essential profile of the casing due to all the encroaching structure, but not for the first time the Great Wasp God of Karma has posted a spare part up on E'by as a quality reference:

s-l1600.jpg

I've run out of pictures. Probably just as well....

:bye:

Tony

• Like 17

16 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

I'm thinking Rendezvous with Rama?

I discovered the artwork of Chris Foss et al in the early seventies. Previously on the covers of Sci Fi paperbacks, but around 1973 a monthly Sci Fi appeared with 

large reproductions of the original pictures. The stuff of dreams. I still love them, so I know what you mean. With the exhaust in place it looks even better!

21 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

listed in the Buttock Management section of the PN

Available in a plain brown envelope, I assume?

26 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

I might ask him if I can cut a couple of squares off one of them.

You might be better off with an albino Gerbil in this scale.

Yet another lovely update and a fabulous bifurcated exhaust. Have a great week!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I discovered the artwork of Chris Foss et al in the early seventies.

I had a large format book of his artwork - wonder where it is? Really loved his work - he also did some lovely pencil drawings illustrating Frederick Forsyth's 'The Shepherd' - one of my favourite novellas, a Christmas ghost story involving a Vampire and Mosquito. Who could ask for more?! :)

And talking of artwork, those renderings are splendiferous Tony!

Keith

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I have a small hardback copy of The Shepherd on one of my bookshelves. I've had it for many years now. To be read again in a month or so...

Same here - although I was thinking of reading it again tonight - but I can't find it either!! :doh: (probably in the same place as the artwork book! :rolleyes:)

K

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Good evening everyone.

As it's Samhain eve,  I must make you aware that Cthulhu has risen:

"Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn."

"And also with you, Father."

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Eventually I concluded that the only feasible method at this scale of creating the exhaust as a series of continuous surfaces was to move from the standard design workspace in Fusion, into the use of T-Splines in the 'Forms' work area (basically ditching drawing in favour of straightforward scultping).

“Straightforward” he says, with the intellectual insouciance of a member of the academic high table :winkgrin:

Course, I might be speaking from the depth of ignorance and envy of one yet to grapple with sculpting in Fusion; but even if I knew owt I bet it would still be bloomin impressive…

• Haha 8