Airfix 1:72 De Havilland Mosquito B.XVI

Thought I'd have a bash on this kit I bought from a nice little model shop whilst on my hols. Looks like it goes together quite nicely according to reports, so let's see how I get on.

spacer.png

• Like 5

Well given the weather, I'm going to be firing through this today. Totally in the zone.

Cockpit assembled and a quick grey undercoat, ready for a little paint detail later.

spacer.png

• Like 11

1 minute ago, Gondor44 said:

I don't know if your aware of the fact that Airfix scanned a Target Tug variant so the fairing at the rear of the bomb bay is wrong.

Gondor

Yeah I did read about that. I understand that the raised detail on the doors are incorrect as well. I'll make a decision on what to do later in the build.

• Like 1

Well a pretty productive day on the whole. A lot of back and forth through the instructions for painting purposes but looking reasonably good so far. I particularly like the "jig" method for the undercarriage - I'm definitely one of those models it was designed for.

spacer.png

spacer.png

As mentioned I may have to attempt filling in and creating a wider rear bay cowling.

spacer.png

I particularly like the "jig" method for the undercarriage - I'm definitely one of those modellers it was designed for.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Time now to add some colour to the wheel wells and call it a day I think.

• Like 11

Well I've had a bash at that bomb bay rear cowling with some milliput. Seems to have turned out okay ... time will tell after the undercoat.

spacer.png

• Like 11

Well fuselage all painted now and varnished. A day to two to dry then decals. Most of the other bits are done  (including the sanded bay doors) as well so shouldn't be too long before completion. Trying not to rush but sadly I just can't help myself.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 14

It's coming together nicely now. Didn't use all the decals as they were too small and could hardly be seen. Weathering didn't turn out too bad although when I varnished to seal it in some of it ran and spoilt the stbd wing. I think I'll get away with it.

Masking the transparencies now then just the bombs and props to fit and I should be all done all being well.

spacer.png

• Like 3

Clear parts didn't turn out great, in particular the LH porthole type window that I had to scratch build from the clear sprue number tab. The original fired out of my tweezers 4 feet into the air and never came back down. Lost the mojo after that so I'm calling it done.

spacer.png

• Like 5