Tamiya A34 Comet 1/35

IT_Man

Having built one Bronco kit and abandoning one 80% built, I think I might forget about the Bronco Comet in the stash and take a chance on this one.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 1

Having built the Bronco Comet and found it to be a good kit I wonder how much better the Tamiya one could be.

I completed my apprenticeship in the factory where they were built (now an Argos outlet!) so I guess I'll have to buy one and find out

• Like 3

On 6/18/2022 at 9:45 PM, B_Bogus said:

Having built the Bronco Comet and found it to be a good kit I wonder how much better the Tamiya one could be.

I completed my apprenticeship in the factory where they were built (now an Argos outlet!) so I guess I'll have to buy one and find out

Having built the Bronco Comet kit when it first came out and making a reasonable job of it apart from the tracks, I welcome this kit from Tamiya. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 18/06/2022 at 21:45, B_Bogus said:

The Bronco kit has roadwheels that are far too flat in their structure.  The distinctive canvas mantlet cover is missing and there is a distinct lack of detail.

None of this is uncorrectable as Accurate Armour provide resin replacements/updates for all of the issues.  However, they pretty much double the cost of the model.   Given that the Tamiya kit is priced at a fiver more than the Bronco kit, I think it will be better value for money.

It will be interesting to see if a post-war vehicle can be built from the Tamiya kit.

• Like 2

Sprue shots on 'the other site'

http://www.missing-lynx.com/reviews/britain/tamiya35380reviewbg_1.html

No question that the Tamiya kit is an improvement on the Bronco: The mantlet cover and tracks put it firmly ahead.

I'm still grateful to Bronco for getting one to market when they did, and I won't throw it away when I build the Tamiya one

Edited by B_Bogus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 18/10/2022 at 19:45, Enzo Matrix said:

It will be interesting to see if a post-war vehicle can be built from the Tamiya kit.

Looking at the sprue photos and the instruction leaflet in the video, it is clear that there are no post-war fishtail exhausts in this kit.  However, that doesn't mean that a post-war Comet cannot be built.  Some of the early Comet 1B vehicles retained the 1A type exhausts and had the fishtail exhaust mountings plated over.  These plates are provided as part A13 in the kit.  As always, check your references.  If you are building a wartime Comet 1A, do not fit parts A13 and fill their mounting holes. 

It shouldn't be too difficult for some enterprising aftermarket manufacturer to provide resin replacements for parts A13 with the fishtail exhausts.  These would be needed for Finnish and Irish vehicles.  Many post-war vehicles also carried smoke dispensers on the turret which are also not included in the kit.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1