Panavia Tornado in 1/72

Alan W

I've got a Revell Panavia Tornado on order - the ASSTA 1/72 model. I want to do it as an RAF 617 squadron aircraft. I'm not sure just how much this aircraft differs from RAF versions in appearance (I think it may be mostly/purely electronic systems from what I've read)

I've found a good set of decals from Kits-World which also include all the aircraft identification markings for the RAF Dambusters raid as well as for the Tornado Commemorative scheme of 2013. (Handy as I have the Airfix Dambusters Lancaster to build)

Alternatively there is a set by Xtradecal, but these appear to be under two references and I'm not sure whether they are exactly the same or not - X01372 and X72013 (and do not provide the Dambusters ID markings anyway)

Presumably I would also need a stencil set as well? Or are these provided for in the Revell kit?

You will need a GR4 conversion set for the undernose fairing, also one of the gun ports needs to be filled in. I believe the cockpit displays are also different.

The only available GR4 stencilling I know of was by Combat Decals 'Libya at War' set which as far as I know is out of print.

You will also need new ECM pods for the GR4.

15 hours ago, tonywood said:

You will need a GR4 conversion set for the undernose fairing, also one of the gun ports needs to be filled in. I believe the cockpit displays are also different.

The only available GR4 stencilling I know of was by Combat Decals 'Libya at War' set which as far as I know is out of print.

You will also need new ECM pods for the GR4.

14 hours ago, Planebuilder62 said:

Stencil set from FantasyPrint Shop, they are brilliant

Thanks guys.

But the basic airframe is the same? The cockpit displays I can live with - it's 1/72 and I can never see the detail inside the cockpits anyway. There's no chopping required?

Looks like I need Kits-world and FantasyPrint shop for my decals.

Ok, thanks.

Alternate - Is there any RAF squadron that I could badge this aircraft for?

I didn't realise until after buying the kit that it only came with Luftwaffe markings and it simply won't look right with all my other aircraft being RAF or FAA. (the one exception being the Phantom that I bought back in the 1980s/90s)