Kübelwagen Type 82, Tamiya, 1/35

8 hours ago, ColonelKrypton said:

I too like the crinkly damaged parts. Try as I might, I just can't get plastic to look that nicely crinkled - but I keep on trying.

In fact, this is not difficult, the main thing is to understand that there should be a large bulge next to a large cavity, and if the cavity has a smooth outline, then the bulge should be sharp, and vice versa.

In real life, this is not always the case, but on a small scale, it is acceptable.

If the thickness of the plastic does not allow for a deep cavity or high bulge, you can glue a piece of additional plastic. I did this with the fender.

6 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

You're doing a great job on this Vytautas. And to think that the little Beetle which I drove in Germany in the '60s is a descendant of one of these.🚗

Thanks, John. Yes, Porsche made great cars!

Vytautas

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ned said:

Looks great Vytautas. It almost looks ready to go on the shelf already.

Yes, of course! You're absolutely right. But there is a problem - at the moment I don't have a new box... :rofl:

Vytautas

23 minutes ago, vytautas said:

Yes, of course! You're absolutely right. But there is a problem - at the moment I don't have a new box... :rofl:

Vytautas

You know what you need to do.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ned said:

You know what you need to do.

Just for the record, I want to state here and now that I do NOT own the model shop in Vytautas' town. I am not a bad person :)

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, vytautas said:

If the thickness of the plastic does not allow for a deep cavity or high bulge, you can glue a piece of additional plastic. I did this with the fender.

Interesting idea, never thought of doing that. I will give it a try.

cheers, Graham

• Like 1

On 6/24/2022 at 9:14 AM, ColonelKrypton said:
On 6/23/2022 at 4:38 PM, vytautas said:

Interesting idea, never thought of doing that. I will give it a try.

cheers, Graham

Sometime the obvious isn't all that obvious ;)

cheers

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

A couple of months ago I closed the model in a box and left it in a secluded place.

A couple of days ago I opened the box and was surprised: nothing happened, the model itself did not stick itself together!
This strange phenomenon made me start making the engine myself.

So, I have started making an engine from scratch (plastic card 0.5 and 0.3 mm, sprue). This is just the start...

spacer.png

Prepared a place for the engine:

spacer.png

Another detail of the engine: I started making a generator from the sprue (a long sprue is more convenient to hold in hands, the generator itself, of course, will be short):

spacer.png

Not finished engine. There are no details yet - a fuel pump, a generator, pipes, wires, etc.

spacer.png

cheers, Vytautas

• Like 15
  • Haha 2

Hi vytautus,

I’m liking this build a lot. I know it was a while back but I’m interested in how you did the crumpled rim/wheel cover? I’ve tried this before and used a lighter to make the plastic  flexible but in the end it just looks like burnt plastic where you’d looks like a car that’s hit something!! How’d you get it to look so good?

Thanks,

Paul

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Muchmirth said:

I’ve tried this before and used a lighter to make the plastic  flexible but in the end it just looks like burnt plastic

Hi, Paul!
No offense, but you sound like a sadist. Alright alright, I hate plastic sometimes too, especially when things don't go my way, but my hatred is not strong enough to destroy it with fire.  I more like to mercilessly mutilate plastic with a knife.

:rofl:

Vytautas

P.S.

Hot water, pliers, lighters, hair dryer, etc. - are technologies that I do not use because it is impossible to control the final result. I use a simple carving - in this case, I can make exactly what I want.
I explained my method here

In the case of the wheel, to work near the wheel rim, I used a small and spiky blade.

Edited by vytautas
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

yeah I’m pretty much a modelling sadist… I build tanks and like to beat and generally mistreat them! Got a challenger tied to a basement radiator at the moment!!😂😂

Great tip on the carving. I’ll take a look at your guide… does make sense because, as you say, I’ll have more control that way. 
thank you,

Paul.

Edited by Muchmirth
Typo
  • Like 1

I started detailing the engine. If I had known what awaited me, I probably would not have started. This engine is too small for me, so the small parts are a little oversized. So far, there is a lack of a carburetor, three pipes (one for supplying a combustible mixture from the carburetor to the cylinders, another for heating, and, a third for wires from the distributor to the spark plugs) and wires.

spacer.png

Vytautas

• Like 16

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

After a short break (only three months), another detail for the engine. I started from scratch to make a carburetor with a cylindrical air filter. 

Usually, in this modification of the Kubelwagen, a pot-shaped air filter was used, but I like this one more, and it looks more interesting to me. 

Imitation of rubber connecting hoses made of masking tape. There are no pipes, levers, or rods on the carburetor yet.

spacer.png

Vytautas

Edited by vytautas
  • Like 10

Great work Vytautas - a lovely piece of scratch building 👍

I always thought an 'engine out' Kübelwagen would make an interesting diorama. Go on, go on, you know you want to! :wink:

kengine1.jpg

kengine2.jpg

kengine3.jpg

Paul.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hi Paul,

Very interesting photos, thanks. Btw, the first and second photos are mirrored.

It's already too late to make a diorama with an engine separately from the car. It's already impossible to pull the engine out of my Kubelvagen. But the idea is very interesting, maybe I will implement it later with another car.

Vytautas

• Like 1

Great work vytautas. The detail on the scratch built engine is really good. 

Perhaps your diorama could be of an unfinished Kubelwagen ..... then you'll have an excuse to leave it unfinished! 🤣

Keith

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Keeff said:

Perhaps your diorama could be of an unfinished Kubelwagen ..... then you'll have an excuse to leave it unfinished! 🤣

Exactly! You can even say that my diorama is ready. Now my diorama is placed in a closed box. No more paints, glue, and other nasty and dirty things. The main concept of this diorama is a tightly closed box lid. :rofl:

Vytautas

Edited by vytautas
  • Haha 5

On 1/7/2023 at 1:03 AM, vytautas said:
On 1/6/2023 at 10:59 PM, Keeff said:

Exactly! You can even say that my diorama is ready. Now my diorama is placed in a closed box. No more paints, glue, and other nasty and dirty things. The main concept of this diorama is a tightly closed box lid. :rofl:

Vytautas

Only now it suddenly dawned on me that I have a lot of such ready-boxy-unfinished, but tightly-closed (what a luxury speech construct!) dioramas!

Now it remains only to photograph them all and place them in the Dioramas, Vignettes & Scenery section. To make it easier, I think to photograph them all in one frame, since they can be stacked one on top of the other.

I think that one frame will really be enough, since shooting from different angles in this case does not make any sense.

This will be a new and fresh trend in the diorama modeling business! I am very proud and already feel like Neil Alden Armstrong taking the first step on the moon. 

Yes, it will be another Big Step for all mankind!

:rofl:

Vytautas

Edited by vytautas
  • Haha 2