Kübelwagen Type 82, Tamiya, 1/35

Recently I looked at how many unfinished models I have on my shelf. At first glance, there are a lot of them. But I made a disappointing conclusion that they are still not enough if I want to become the absolute champion in unfinished models. It turned out that this hard sport has a lot of competition, so I start a new model - Kübelwagen Type 82 from Tamiya. I hope that this will be another gem on my shelf with unfinished models :D

Vytautas

Edited by vytautas
  • Haha 8

So, the model Kübelwagen Type 82, Africa Corps, from Tamiya No. 35238, scale 1:35:

spacer.png
I started this model because I came up with the idea of making an empty tire. The model from Tamiya itself is quite old, but nevertheless good. I could choose from two models - Kübelwagen from Tamiya, the other from Hero. The model from Hero, despite the fact that it is new, seemed to be much worse than Tamiya's.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The left rear wheel will be with an empty tire. I cut the bottom of the wheel down to the rim,  then glued a piece of extra plastic, wider than the wheel, and cut out the rubber folds.

Vytautas

Edited by vytautas
  • Like 21

3 hours ago, Stef N. said:

Good to see you putting knife to plastic Vytautas. I will follow along to see what you get up to.👍👏

Thanks, @Stef N.! It's nice to see you in the audience, but I want to warn you that there will most likely be no rapid progress with the model because I have to finish a couple of models.

2 hours ago, StephMarb said:

Excellent work on the tire, it looks spot on. How did you make the folds in the rubber? Just by carving them with a knife? If so I'm even more impressed, the sculpting is 💯

Thanks a lot @StephMarb!
Yes, I carved them with а knife and an obliquely sharpened needle, it's not difficult, the main thing is to stop in time, while there is a little bit of plastic left :)
Some time ago I wrote about my method: 

Vytautas

Edited by vytautas
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, StuartH said:

I want to see it to completion!

Thank you @StuartH!
I understand you, I myself would like this very much!
But I'm constantly coming up with different nonsense, so many of my projects become too long-term.
Unfortunately, the situation with Kubelwagen is similar. I came up with the idea to make the engine as well, since the engine compartment can be made open.

:D

Vytautas

16 hours ago, vytautas said:

Recently I looked at how many unfinished models I have on my shelf. At first glance, there are a lot of them. But I made a disappointing conclusion that they are still not enough if I want to become the absolute champion in unfinished models. It turned out that this hard sport has a lot of competition, so I start a new model - Kübelwagen Type 82 from Tamiya. I hope that this will be another gem on my shelf with unfinished models :D

Vytautas, we could be twins who were separated at birth:giggle:. I've got about ten models in various stages of unfinished, and my IDF M1 is the first time in a long time that I've started to work on a shelf queen. But will my next one be another shelf queen, or something new?:hmmm:

Good start on the Kubel, and I like that flat tyre very much. Nice work.

John.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bullbasket said:

Vytautas, we could be twins who were separated at birth:giggle:. I've got about ten models in various stages of unfinished, and my IDF M1 is the first time in a long time that I've started to work on a shelf queen. But will my next one be another shelf queen, or something new?:hmmm:

Hi, John! It's good to have like-minded people nearby.

I think this funny phenomenon is underdeveloped, people know too little about it. We need to make sure that the culture of started and unfinished models becomes as popular as possible.

To begin with, I propose to arrange a group build, in which the main rule would be to start as many models as possible in a set time. You and I cannot participate in it, because it would be unfair - we have too much experience in this matter. But we could be referees.

And yet, it is necessary to abolish the section on ready-for inspection models on this site, because it is very annoying. I'm sure that in the future people will understand that the finished model is a bad taste. 
:rofl:

Vytautas

• Haha 8

That intro was HILARIOUS!!! Couldn't stop smiling for a good 5 minutes!

How about the exact opposite type of challenge?

How about buying a brand new  model kit and resisting the temptation to break open any seals to look inside the box?

It's been an extreme challenge but i have never unsealed a box unless i am actually about to build the kit inside.Do i have any contenders for my throne out there?

As for your kubel, you've got me confused: i don't know if i want to see one this help you become champion or if i actually want to see this one make it to the finish line!

• Haha 2

57 minutes ago, Melchy1914 said:

How about the exact opposite type of challenge?

How about buying a brand new  model kit and resisting the temptation to break open any seals to look inside the box?

Forgive me, but anyone can do it, it's absolutely simple. What could be easier than buying a new model and hiding it in a closet without opening the box? This does not require any effort.
It is quite another thing to buy a new model and immediately start it, regardless of all the started and unfinished models. Yes, I know it's not easy. Yes, it requires a long preparation and an iron will. But trust me, it's worth it. Having conquered yourself and starting a new model, you feel a well-deserved pride in yourself. This feeling completely atones for all difficulties and hardships.

And one more thing: we should not forget that now is the twenty-first century, we should forget about the twentieth. The world has changed, it has become different and will never be the same again. Therefore, I firmly know that the future belongs to unfinished models.

Vytautas

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Model Mate said:

I always finish a scratchbuild, but always fail to finish (at about 99.99% complete) a kit build - no idea why…..

You intuitively know what is right and what is wrong. You feel with your heart that the unfinished model is kindness, order, and justice.

Vytautas

Reckless driving leads to a bitter consequences...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Only in the photos, did I notice a couple of defects, which I will fix later.

Vytautas

Edited by vytautas
  • Like 15

It looks like I have some serious competition in the unfinished model stakes!   And there's me thinking it was just me holding the flag!  I don't have anything against finished models per say..................I think they are wonderful things.........it's just they don't keep you on your toes quite so much as all the ones demanding to be finished.  I hide them away in little plastic boxes, but they are watching me. They call out every now and then and occasionally I do here them. I open the box and think, wow, you just need a little bit of attention, and we can whip you in the spray booth.  But then then another one calls out, and then another one, and it all becomes a bit too much. And then a shiny unopened box in the corner catches my eye!

Sadly, what I would consider my best work sits unfinished and all it really needs is a little push to make the finishing line.  I've tried many things to address the issue but alas it is my lot.  It's not that I don't enjoy the hobby or that I get frustrated and give up on projects. I am simply too easily distracted and that’s just the way it is.  Once in a very strange, coloured moon a finished product does emerge, and I am thankful for that.

I raise a glass to your new project Vytautas🍻   The crinkly bottom metal damage looks cool

Edited by Kelscale
  • Like 2

On 6/22/2022 at 1:32 PM, Kelscale said:

It looks like I have some serious competition in the unfinished model stakes!   And there's me thinking it was just me holding the flag!  I don't have anything against finished models per say..................I think they are wonderful things.........it's just they don't keep you on your toes quite so much as all the ones demanding to be finished.  I hide them away in little plastic boxes, but they are watching me. They call out every now and then and occasionally I do here them. I open the box and think, wow, you just need a little bit of attention, and we can whip you in the spray booth.  But then then another one calls out, and then another one, and it all becomes a bit too much. And then a shiny unopened box in the corner catches my eye!

Sadly, what I would consider my best work sits unfinished and all it really needs is a little push to make the finishing line.  I've tried many things to address the issue but alas it is my lot.  It's not that I don't enjoy the hobby or that I get frustrated and give up on projects. I am simply too easily distracted and that’s just the way it is.  Once in a very strange, coloured moon a finished product does emerge, and I am thankful for that.

I raise a glass to your new project Vytautas🍻   The crinkly bottom metal damage looks cool

In all this, I see the accurately described my own portrait. Absolutely precise! :D 
I used to worry about unfinished models. But then I realized that this is not a job that must be done without fail, but a hobby, that is, an activity for pleasure. After I realized this, I no longer worry about unfinished models. I realized that my hobby is making unfinished models :D

And a small update: 

I reworked the rear and filled the gaps inside the engine bay.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And I redid one spotlight - thinned the plastic and polished the inside. I want to make this spotlight with broken glass.
It looks like a trifle, but it took more than an hour!

spacer.png

Vytautas

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, vytautas said:
On 6/22/2022 at 6:32 AM, Kelscale said:

Expand  

In all this, I see the accurately described my own portrait. Absolutely precise! :D 
I used to worry about unfinished models. But then I realized that this is not a job that must be done without fail, but a hobby, that is, an activity for pleasure. After I realized this, I no longer worry about unfinished models. I realized that my hobby is making unfinished models :D

Spot on.

Embrace the journey, follow your muse wherever it may take you.

I too like the crinkly damaged parts. Try as I might, I just can't get plastic to look that nicely crinkled - but I keep on trying.

cheers, Graham

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, ColonelKrypton said:

but I keep on trying

Words like curve, steep and learning come to mind.......................

I find the same when I try some of the techniques demonstrated here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vytautas said:

It looks like a trifle, but it took more than an hour!

To quote Sybil Fawlty in Fawlty Towers, "Oh I know, I know". It's always the little items which take up all of the time, but sometimes those items stand out. You're doing a great job on this Vytautas. And to think that the little Beetle which I drove in Germany in the '60s is a descendant of one of these.🚗

John. 

• Like 3