Moynet LM 75, Le Mans 24h 1975

First I decided what the plausible size of the cut in the screen would be and marked it out with tape.

LM75_78.jpg

Then I moved the screen to a suitable support surface and started with the cut. After the first light pass I removed the tape and then worked through a few more passes.

LM75_79.jpg

A piece of 0,2 mm aluminium was folded into a U-shape fitting the cut, then I cut material off until I had this part.

LM75_80.jpg

A square from the screen cut was also removed.

LM75_81.jpg

The aluminium piece was then sprayed semi gloss black.

LM75_82.jpg

When the paint had dried the piece was inserted into the screen with the floor sloping downward and glued with thin lines of Kristal Klear. When this has dried I hope some additional semi gloss black detail painting will complete the look.

LM75_83.jpg

While messing around with that the wheels have also come together.

LM75_84.jpg

• Like 14

14 hours ago, keefr22 said:

I wish my 'messing around' would just once result in such neat work! Excellent stuff! 👍

Keith

Thanks a lot Keith. It's all about messing around 😎

2 hours ago, klubman01 said:

Nice work with intake in the rear screen.

Trevor

Thanks a lot Trevor. Air intakes, vents and such in plastic screens are always cool details on race cars.

• Like 1

With the last finishing touches this morning the added air scoop looks like this. I'm quite happy with that.

LM75_85.jpg

LM75_86.jpg

LM75_87.jpg

Work has started to put the brakes and wheels on. The rear end was glued so the epoxy could cure during breakfast.

LM75_88.jpg

• Like 12

Then the front wheels were glued and aligned while drying.

LM75_89.jpg

All smaller exterior parts where then installed and touched in with paint where needed. This will now need some drying time, especially the front lights before I fit their covers.

LM75_90.jpg

LM75_91.jpg

LM75_92.jpg

LM75_93.jpg

LM75_94.jpg

What's left to do I think is flattening/levelling the tyres, fit the headlight covers, windows and the wiper and ad some black tape (decal strips).

• Like 12

With the tyres flattened and the car sitting nice and evenly with some bite to a flat surface, the work on fitting the windows started. They are positioned and held down with strategic small pieces of tape, and then Kristal Klear is carefully applied with a 00 brush in the joint line, but not so close to the tape that it gets sucked in there. When this has dried out the tape is carefully removed and the joint line completed.

LM75_95.jpg

LM75_96.jpg

LM75_97.jpg

LM75_98.jpg

I thought I was getting this finished tonight, but the photo etched wiper supplied in the kit is too short and dead straight, not fitting well on the curved windscreen. This won't do.

LM75_99.jpg

I found another longer blade that I cut the top section from and curved to fit the windscreen.

LM75_100.jpg

The top section of the original blade was cut off and glued to the new blade. Then I took a longer arm from a scrap sheet, reshaped it and cut it to suitable length

LM75_101.jpg

Glued together and shaped after some trial fitting I had this thing.

LM75_102.jpg

This then needed some paint, so here we are right now.

LM75_103.jpg

• Like 13

An absolutely stunning replica - you have most definitely raised the bar with this one 

Stay safe           Roger

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Hamden said:

An absolutely stunning replica - you have most definitely raised the bar with this one 

I do agree with you, Roger 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, CrazyCrank said:

Utterly gorgeous 😲

12 hours ago, Hamden said:

12 hours ago, CrazyCrank said:

I do agree with you, Roger 👍

12 hours ago, Toftdale said:

I'd be over the moon, unbelievably clean work - Andy 

Thanks a lot for your kind praise gentlemen, I'm very grateful.

• Like 1

The black tape has been applied. As was customary at Le Mans the headlight covers were taped off at the start of the race, to keep them protected and clean until the dark hours, in this case with transparent plastic and rather heavily applied black tape. I have however loosely based my taping on a photo after the finish, with the drivers posing on the car, where a somewhat finer line of tape was still present.

LM75_106.jpg

I think that was the last thing, I'm probably done now.

LM75_107.jpg

LM75_108.jpg

• Like 11

I fully agree with Ron - absoutely stunning model car - and built so quickly! It would take me 4 or 5 months to get a nowhere near as nice result! 

Really superb modelling Jörgen, with so many lovely details to keep looking at!

Keith

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bengalensis said:

I'm probably done now

Really? You sure there are not some more details you could add? 😄

Really enjoyed watching this build come together.

3 hours ago, Bengalensis said:

As was customary at Le Mans the headlight covers were taped off at the start of the race

Funnily enough I watched the Le Mans film with Steve McQueen yesterday and did wonder what on earth was around the headlights until there was a close up where you could see the plastic film! 

Nick

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, silver911 said:

An absolutely stunning piece of work...beautifully realised and implemented...bravo 👏

Ron

Thanks a lot Ron, means a lot when you think so.

6 hours ago, keefr22 said:

I fully agree with Ron - absoutely stunning model car - and built so quickly! It would take me 4 or 5 months to get a nowhere near as nice result! 

Really superb modelling Jörgen, with so many lovely details to keep looking at!

Keith

Thanks a lot Keith. I've had almost all my time during this build free at my disposal, that does speed things up a bit, and I also enjoy this type of resin kit a lot.

4 hours ago, Fnick said:

Really? You sure there are not some more details you could add? 😄

Really enjoyed watching this build come together.

Funnily enough I watched the Le Mans film with Steve McQueen yesterday and did wonder what on earth was around the headlights until there was a close up where you could see the plastic film! 

Nick

Haha, there are lots of things one could add, but I'll use that time on the next model 😎 Seriously, thanks a lot Nick and I'm happy you have anjoyed the build.

Ahh, Le Mans the movie, it's a fantastic film, a master piece, I have it on DVD and watch it every now and then, superb atmosphere! Yes, this was the typical way of protecting the lights until they were really needed. Some teams used plain tape, other teams have even used plastic film coloured according to their internal identy colour of the cars, in multi car teams. Makes for a lot of ineteresting modelling details.

2 hours ago, JeroenS said:

Beautiful work Jörgen, wow. 

Thanks a lot Jeroen!

• Like 1

On 6/24/2022 at 11:03 AM, Bengalensis said:

With the last finishing touches this morning the added air scoop looks like this. I'm quite happy with that.

What a beautiful model you created. So many nicely executed details on this small scale. Well done Jörgen!

• Thanks 1