Last place in a beauty contest... Nimrod AEW3

That's an impressive model. Well done!

The comparision between the clean-shaped late-1940s airliner and the 1980s AEW-plane is very instructive. They really streched the basic design to the limits. On the other hand, I think the Nimrod AEW looks still quite elegant when compared to the similar-configured IAI Phalcon / Condor.

• Like 1

I think you did a beautiful job on a very , uh, unique looking aircraft. On a personal note, I am so embarrassed at the number of years it took for me to realize the Nimrod was based on the Comet. I'm talking decades.....it's very shameful. 

• Like 1

Fantastic result and well worth the effort of all the conversion work. Not a looker but impressive. An MRA4 would go nicely in the line-up - that would be a lot of work!

Steve

• Like 1

Wonderful work on the Nimrod Mike, it looks.........really well done, couldn't bring myself to say beautiful. ;) :D The Comet though is beautiful & seeing the two together is a real eye opener.

Steve.

• Like 1

Excellent model - well done!

I'm gonna go against the crowd a bit. I think that version of the Nimrod actually looked pretty awesome. I know (from what I've read) that the project itself was a bit of a mess, but the plane looks very purposeful to my eyes.

Great work on what must have been a tricky build!

• Like 2

Brilliant! So good to see this made, I’m determined to get one of those conversion kits one day if I can ever find one for a decent price! 

Very nostalgic seeing XZ286, I remember this circuit bashing over my school most days in and out of Woodford, in these colours and later on hemp.

This is such a beautiful model, very well finished.

• Like 1

Thank you to everyone who's commented and said nice things, it's very much appreciated :)

On 6/17/2022 at 3:20 PM, Doc72 said:

That's an impressive model. Well done!

The comparision between the clean-shaped late-1940s airliner and the 1980s AEW-plane is very instructive. They really streched the basic design to the limits. On the other hand, I think the Nimrod AEW looks still quite elegant when compared to the similar-configured IAI Phalcon / Condor.

Thank you! I don't think I've seen the Condor before, but having looked it up, I agree: the Nimrod possibly does come ahead of that in a beauty contest! I now also have an urge to model that too...

On 6/17/2022 at 4:50 PM, BritJet said:

Fantastic result and well worth the effort of all the conversion work. Not a looker but impressive. An MRA4 would go nicely in the line-up - that would be a lot of work!

Thanks, Steve. I agree about an MRA4 - on both counts!

On 6/17/2022 at 8:58 PM, SAT69 said:

Excellent work on the Nimrod. I confess your Comet takes me breath away. What a beautiful airplane!

The Comet, particularly the early (unstretched) versions, is a really beautiful design! Shame there isn't a mainstream kit of it.

On 6/18/2022 at 12:41 AM, stevehnz said:

Wonderful work on the Nimrod Mike, it looks.........really well done, couldn't bring myself to say beautiful. ;) :D The Comet though is beautiful & seeing the two together is a real eye opener.

Steve.

Thanks, Steve! Really does show one evolutionary path, albeit a dead end.

19 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

Brilliant! So good to see this made, I’m determined to get one of those conversion kits one day if I can ever find one for a decent price! 

Very nostalgic seeing XZ286, I remember this circuit bashing over my school most days in and out of Woodford, in these colours and later on hemp.

This is such a beautiful model, very well finished.

Thanks very much! If you can get hold of the conversion, it is surprisingly easy to do. I would've loved to have seen one of these flying, must've been quite a sight!

Mike