A Refugee from Nest Cottage - Trumpeter 1/48 Sea Hornet NF.21

2 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Nice, looking forward to this Alistair 

Chris 

I was given the Harrier with a load of after market from a friend who looked at it and decided to give up.

I've looked at it a few times but it's reputation has kind of scared me.

Might come sooner than later now though.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

As I am waiting for the protective clear coat to cook off I did a little light initial weathering to the undercarriage bits.

uoiLLem.jpg

XZv571b.jpg

P7qNXby.jpg

The legs had a careful wash with Nuln Oil, The oleos with Seraphim Sepia and the tyres got a light dusting with scraped pastels to give them a sort of dusty look.

The Arrestor Hook was picked out in Dark Iron.

XeUxqbe.jpg

Not much more I can do today as I'm turning round for the early shift tomorrow.

I detest this turn round as you need to sleep coming off the night shift but can't sleep for too long as I need to go to bed early enough to get a half decent sleep before dragging myself up at 04:15.

I normally refuse to do this turn round but we are struggling for coverage at the moment.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 6

Great work on those parts Alistair,  like the dusty tyres, wheels look good too.

Good grief  nights to earlies!!! My goodness that does sound dreadful, hope you get a good kip.

I used to worry about waking up at 0420 hrs for the first early shift and one night I woke up feeling really tired with my eyes stinging,  made a cuppa on auto pilot and got in the shower, when I got out and sat in the lounge to drink my tea , I glanced at the clock and saw it was 0030 hrs !!!

I can  only think my missus must have rolled over and kicked me in her sleep and I got up thinking it was time for work.   I was very relieved and got straight back into bed!!!🙄😄

Great worn fella

Chris

• Haha 3

20 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great work on those parts Alistair,  like the dusty tyres, wheels look good too.

Good grief  nights to earlies!!! My goodness that does sound dreadful, hope you get a good kip.

I used to worry about waking up at 0420 hrs for the first early shift and one night I woke up feeling really tired with my eyes stinging,  made a cuppa on auto pilot and got in the shower, when I got out and sat in the lounge to drink my tea , I glanced at the clock and saw it was 0030 hrs !!!

I can  only think my missus must have rolled over and kicked me in her sleep and I got up thinking it was time for work.   I was very relieved and got straight back into bed!!!🙄😄

Great worn fella

Chris

Thanks Chris,

I know that first early feeling, waking up and looking at the clock every hour.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

The main fuselage and wings got a light Dark Dirt wash and then the oil dot treatment just to add a little variety .

c0iXYlb.jpg

4Ms2107.jpg

DvWucEg.jpg

CvgMiqF.jpg

Jk9mNLY.jpg

I'll visit that again in the morning with some proper light and see if it needs knocked back a bit and looking at the photos it just might.

In other news I have a Rules Exam tomorrow so don't need to drag myself up at Dark O'clock. :D

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 5

Alistair,

All looking lovely - that wash has popped everything nicely! Now, the First Rule of Fight Club....

Cheers,

Roger

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Dunny said:

Alistair,

All looking lovely - that wash has popped everything nicely! Now, the First Rule of Fight Club....

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger,

I'm hopeful that I'll get things assembled today.

11 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

It does look good Alistair the difference is very noticeable.  This is progressing very well and quick too.

Good luck with the exam .

Chris

Thanks Chris,

It goes together fairly quickly.

11 hours ago, mark.au said:

Looking good Alistair, the weathering is bringing it to life nicely.  

Good luck with the exam!

Thanks Mark,

We get these things about every three months now.

It's all done on the computer with questions which have been translated into something other than English.

The hardest bit apart from not knowing ahead of time which sections of the Rule Book we're getting is trying not to speed read and missing the appalling grammar and regular double negatives that completely change the question.

After that it's a chat with my Line Manager or as it usually descends into a bitching session.

Still, I get a long lie out of it so win.

Cheers,

Alistair 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AliGauld said:

It's all done on the computer with questions which have been translated into something other than English.

Like Scottish?  😛😊

• Haha 3

All the flaps, hatches and doors were glued into place this morning and a Satin coat has been applied.

Tr9cYTO.jpg

soLFQMA.jpg

8xPED2d.jpg

M9UIWTX.jpg

LGgUqbP.jpg

That's me off to Stirling and by the time I get back it should all be dry enough to put it all together, fit the remaining clear parts, wheels and knock up some whip aerials and fit them.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 5

I'm back and I've been busy.

fWFCNpf.jpg

This was fun. Nice and simple with no issues other than my own making.

RFI Here.

Next up.

48w8FZr.jpg

My heartfelt thanks to all of you who took the time to react, comment and push me forward on this one.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looks absolutely stunning Alistair,  congratulations on a cracking model there.  Enjoyed tagging along too.

Ooooooo an Avenger, very exciting.

Great work

Chris

Thanks Chris,

That is very kind of you.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

Well there we are. I was all ready to sit in on another one of your builds and ended up watching the whole thing unfold before my eyes. What a joy. I’m having the same issue with my Trumpeter accuracy issues but as you say. Its’s only a model. 😇

you did a great job here. If you don’t mind me asking what was the “brown wash” you used on the cockpit and what did you use for the overall wash?  Headed for the RFI. Thanks for sharing such a great build.

Johnny 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, AliGauld said:

My heartfelt thanks to all of you who took the time to react, comment and push me forward on this one.

I've been trying to pull you back! I've barely seen the new WiP before it's finished! I dunno how you're able to produce so fast and at such a high standard.

Lovely model as always, the choice of 'clean' and satin is perfect for this subject. The control surfaces are a tad 1920s but it looks every bit the hornet to me!

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Well there we are. I was all ready to sit in on another one of your builds and ended up watching the whole thing unfold before my eyes. What a joy. I’m having the same issue with my Trumpeter accuracy issues but as you say. Its’s only a model. 😇

you did a great job here. If you don’t mind me asking what was the “brown wash” you used on the cockpit and what did you use for the overall wash?  Headed for the RFI. Thanks for sharing such a great build.

Johnny 

Thanks so much Johnny,

9 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Its’s only a model. 😇

Or should that be Patsy. ;)

The brown wash is Tamiya Brown Panel liner. The overall was Flory dark Dirt and then an oil dot filter of White and Paynes Grey to knock it back and blend it a bit.

1 hour ago, AdrianMF said:

It looks surprisingly busy and handsome folded up. Very sharp build and finish!

Regards,

Adrian

PS looking forward to that Tarvenger!

Thanks very much Adrian.

Tarvenger I like that might be forced to nick the usage. :wicked: 

1 hour ago, heloman1 said:

Well done Ali, a very net build. I enjoyed the ride.

Colin

Thanks very much Colin,

I'm glad you enjoyed it.

33 minutes ago, Ngantek said:

I've been trying to pull you back! I've barely seen the new WiP before it's finished! I dunno how you're able to produce so fast and at such a high standard.

Lovely model as always, the choice of 'clean' and satin is perfect for this subject. The control surfaces are a tad 1920s but it looks every bit the hornet to me!

Thank you so much.

I get lucky a lot. :whistle:

Cheers,

Alistair

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mark.au said:

Most of us can build well, and most of us can build quickly; not many can produce a result like this quickly.  Bravo Alistair, bravo.

Thanks so much Mark,

Too kind.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1