IDF M50.

A little over five years ago, I post a thread in which I showed my 1/48th collection of Shermans. Well, thanks to Village Photos, none of those are available any more. But I looked at the M50 and decided that it needed dusting off, and while I was at it, I added some more pigments, mainly Carr's.

So, briefly, the story behind this one is that the lower hull is completely scratch built with Hobbyboss HVSS units added. The upper hull is a combination of the front half of a Tamiya M4 (which is more akin to an A4 glacis), married up to the rear half of a Hobbyboss M4A3, suitably stretched to take into account the greater length of an A4 hull. The turret came from Hobbyboss with a scratch built mantlet and rear bustle made from card and Milliput. The main gun is an aluminium Panther barrel from Aber, with a scratch built muzzle brake, made from card. The engine deck is scratch built from card. 50 cal MG is RB Models, the etched brass is a mixture, and the decals were custom made by Peddinghaus.

RntDlTy.jpg

FGEKmIH.jpg

NoEzsvQ.jpg

oalwEHw.jpg

kWAPfbJ.jpg

JfbkvxE.jpg

twcjC2g.jpg

a2B9oFn.jpg

nPZLNnp.jpg

The figure is an Airfix one with a suitable bandage added to his head.

Although this was built around 15 years ago, I'm still pleased with the outcome. So much so that I intend making another M50 before too long, only his time it will be on a VVSS lower hull with a hybrid/composite upper hull. I've got a resin one tucked away somewhere, so It's just a case of getting together all of the relevant pieces and the enthusiasm.

Thanks for looking and any comments.

John.

• Like 38
  • Thanks 1

An excellent example of scratchbuilding and kitbashing Bullbasket. Really like it.

Shame about that Village Photos site. I am not able to access my photos from my Sherman Vignette on there either.

• Thanks 1

HI John,

Despite the passage of time that you mention, it is an excellent model, I understand that at 1/48, and above all, being a scratch for the most part, with pieces created by yourself...magnificent.
A simple base but that enriches the presentation.
Cheers and TC
Francis.👍

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Gordon J said:

An excellent example of scratchbuilding and kitbashing Bullbasket. Really like it.

Shame about that Village Photos site. I am not able to access my photos from my Sherman Vignette on there either.

Thanks Gordon. Yes, I'm afraid that VP have swallowed up hundreds of my photos. Most of them, fortunately, I have backed up on a USB stick.

17 hours ago, Muchmirth said:

Wow to think you scratchbuilt a good chunk of this is amazing. Kudos on the muzzle breach especially as must have been really difficult to shape. Fantastic finish on overall! Top job!

Many thanks for your comments MM. The scratch building is the part that I enjoy the most, and actually, that muzzle brake wasn't that difficult, just fiddly.

16 hours ago, Carius said:

Another suberb job like always my friend.

Cheers John :cheers:

Thanks a lot Cesar. Always good to hear from you.

John.

Good morning John. I hope you and yours are keeping well. I am just back from a short holiday and this is greeted me on my return! What a treat is is too! Absolutely stunning modelling/scratch building and in 1/48!! Very, very impressive! I'm delighted you decided to upgrade it a little and re-post it! :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

HI John,

Despite the passage of time that you mention, it is an excellent model, I understand that at 1/48, and above all, being a scratch for the most part, with pieces created by yourself...magnificent.
A simple base but that enriches the presentation.
Cheers and TC
Francis.👍

Hi Francis, thank you very much for your comments. I like to keep my bases simple, otherwise they turn into a vignette.

17 hours ago, Stef N. said:

Glad you dusted it off and showed us your creation. It's a cracker. Nice one.👏👍

Thanks Stef. Much appreciated. I should imagine that a lot of people on here could do the same, thanks to Village Photos.

12 hours ago, vytautas said:

Hi John,
You did an amazing job as everyone said already.

Vytautas

Thank you Vytautas. Nice of you to say. so.

John.

• Like 1

Wow, I just spent a few minutes looking at the photos and assumed it was 1/35. Then I read much of it was scratch-built...

An absolute stunner! 

Ian

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, echen said:

Excellent work!

Many thanks Echen.

3 hours ago, robgizlu said:

That is a cracker, like everything about it👍

Thanks Rob, appreciate it.

3 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Good morning John. I hope you and yours are keeping well. I am just back from a short holiday and this is greeted me on my return! What a treat is is too! Absolutely stunning modelling/scratch building and in 1/48!! Very, very impressive! I'm delighted you decided to upgrade it a little and re-post it! :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix

'Afternoon Stix. I'm well thank you, and I hope that you are also. Many thanks, and I'm glad that you like it. I'll probably upload a couple more that were lost when VP went belly up.

John.

• Like 1

At first look I thought it was 1/35!  Very nicely done.

If any of you have tickets for Tankfest at Bovington later this month, Eden Camp's restored running M50 will be there in SLA blue.  Alongside Wheatcroft's running M51.  Both rocking the V8 Cummins power.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Nenad Ilijic said:

Wow, what a brilliant model! And 1/48? Just stunning. :worthy:

Nenad

Thanks Nenad. I appreciate your comments as always.

John.