Hasegawa 1/48 P-47D Thunderbolt "Angie"

This P-47 is my first finalized build in about 23 years or so. I've tried a lot of new techniques on this one and mostly it went well, although the final finish left a little to whish for.  Hasegawa's model itself is nice with the fitting and surface finish you can expect from more modern Hasegawas (modern and modern, I think this kit origins from 1988...). When it comes to details it left a little to the builder - I think this one should be considered an up-scaled 1/72 rather than a down-scaled 1/32 in this respect. I've improved some of the parts, especially around the landing gear area (the landing gear struts are for example new brass turnings with some details added from the kit part), but also the cockpit area and engine.  

Build thread:

I took the kit out in the sun for some photos in natural light. Thanks for watching!

52152056684_2e3c11059f_c.jpg

52152307515_4269395c8f_c.jpg

52151821933_61ed965019_c.jpg

52151821973_dd379acf43_c.jpg

52150804992_9f0d985eb8_c.jpg

52150804967_3692ae6811_c.jpg

• Like 21

1 hour ago, franky boy said:

Great work. 

That’s a great finish on the natural metal. Which paints did you use?

James 

Thanks! The NMF is Alclad polished aluminium which was partially oversprayed with Alclad Aiframe aluminium, mostly because I run out of the polished one... The belly tank was painted, after all the lessons were learned, with Alclad Polished Aluminium over a light gray base coat (Humbrol 40). I believe that should have been the way to go for the airframe as well. The parts around the cockpit, including the hood, is Alclad polished aluminum over a black base coat (as it should be done by the book), but I think this combination ends up way too shiny to be convincing. 

• Like 1

Looks lovely 😊 In my opinion. 

I think the paint you used and the undercoat worked in both cases. I think these aircraft emerged from the factory in mirror like shinky bare metal finish but soon oxidised in the ETO. 

Im really a fan of Jugs and yours looks great!