New house, no space - so what to do?

jackroadkill

Hi all, I've resisted posting this for a few weeks but I'm starting to feel pretty frustrated by the whole scenario, and was wondering if any of you have any earth-shattering revelations that I've not thought of that might get me out of the rut.

We ('Er Indoors and our youngest) had to move recently.  We didn't want to but we had to, so that was that.  Due to the nature and layout (and lack of space) of the new place I haven't been able to set up my desk / workbench and so have had to relegate not only my stash but all of my modelling gear (paints, tools, part-built kits etc - everything) to the loft.  We've been in getting on for a month and I haven't spent a single moment on modelling.  I was hoping to set up in the utility room but there's a freezer in there now, so that's out.  There was talk of me setting up a small workbench in the kitchen but that's been vetoed pretty comprehensively, and there's no room anywhere else, despite us having chucked or given away a huge amount of stuff.  There's a shed but it's tiny, and I can't afford to build a decent workshop.

My other half has suggested I just do my kit butchery on the kitchen table and "put it away afterwards" but as we all know, that's not really an option where airbrushes, drying enamels etc is concerned.  I'm quite a tidy builder and don't like working in a state of carnage, but having to drag everything down from the loft, use it for maybe an hour or so and then replace it is going to be a major pain in the Aristotle. 

I can live without using the airbrush, if I have to, because I've only been using one for the last 18 months or so, and can brush-paint if I have to, although I was at a point where airbrushing had taken my builds up a few notches in terms of how satisfied I was with my efforts.

If you were in my situation, what would you do?  Obviously I don't mean get rid of 'Er Indoors, or take up golf or anything like that!  I'm just casting around for ideas in the short term, really.

Cheers,

JRK

Get 

a. a small fold away occasional table

61lk73ra3kL._AC_SX425_.jpg

b. a veggie storage rack thingy

8400444_R_SET?$Main768$&w=620&h=620

Work on (a) and store things on (b)

(a) can be folded up when not needed and stored. 

(b) is not very tall and can be slipped under a kitchen table

I have several of (b) for keeping models-in-progress- builds, for my casting things, for some leather working items et cetera

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I used to do most of my model building in hotel rooms whilst I was away with work. I carried my tools and the kit in a plastic tote box with a second to hold any drying parts and had to put everything away each day so feel your pain.

If clearly is not as convenient as a dedicated space but if you are tidy and disciplined (as you say you are) then it is not really a major problem.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Like @brianthemodeller I used to do a lot of my modelling while away (onboard a ship) so had my essential items required for building in a small "Really Useful" box (stuff like sanding sticks, glue, filler, paints for the interior etc). I had my own cabin so could leave it all on my desk during my trip however if I'd needed to I could pack it up quite quickly.

I guess it depends on which stage you are at with your builds as to how much space you'll need and how anti-social you'll be (smelly glue & paint etc). I'd be tempted to get a couple of the small boxes I mentioned before, one to keep the kit you're working on in and the other for those essentials and get a large tray that you can sit on your lap (I think you can actually get ones for hobby work) and you could then sit anywhere while doing the basic stuff like cutting parts off the sprue and cleaning them up etc. When it gets to the gluing and painting stage you can lift the whole tray to your kitchen table and work there without taking the bits off your tray.

Where there's a will there's a way and it sounds like you're not ready to give up plastic bashing just yet. Good luck with finding a solution and do let us know what you find works best for you as you'll not be the only person struggling with workspace.

Duncan B

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi JRK. :D  @jackroadkill 

One option could be if you invest in a mobile workstation such as this one. 
46322_rd.jpg
https://www.super-hobby.co.uk/products/Mobile-workstation-46321159.html

It's a bit expensive, but you'll only buy one in your lifetime I guess. 

This way you'll have all the necessary tools at hand, and just add a trolley for your drying space. 

Super Hobby has several others that might suit your needs better. 

See: https://www.super-hobby.co.uk/catalog/Tools-578605.html?search_keywords=mobile+workstation&inp_div_val_0=Mobile+workstation&inp_div_cat_name_0=Tools&inp_div_cat_0=7486464&inp_div_val_1=Mobile+workstation&inp_div_cat_1=0&dk_szt[46321288]=1&opinion_type=2&last_active_input=search_keywords&przedm=46321288&start_d=-1&start_p=-1&redirected_mode=cat

I'm using something similar to this one from IKEA beside my work desk. 
lennart-drawer-unit-white__0395412_pe564
https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/lennart-drawer-unit-white-30326177/

HTH 
/Bosse

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How big is the loft?

When faced with a similar problem, I was able to put down some floorboards and had my workroom up there. I wasn't stand up height but it was sit down height at the centre. I also added a Velux window for ventilation.

Cheers

Colin

You could look into a wall mounted foldaway desk? Only sticks out 4-6”, has a decent sized fold down working area you can fix a cutting mat to, and storage for tools, paints and brushes against the wall. This one is what we have. It was called LUDVIG from IKEA. It is no longer in their range, but I'm sure similar beasties are available elsewhere. Described as a "laptop workstation" if that helps the search.

bbnewstuf090921_4_198.jpg

You’d probably still have to find somewhere to park the work in progress, but you could at least have a dedicated work area and not have to take everything back up to the loft every time…

best,

M.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I have a similar problem

I use an old computer desk/cupboard

Doors open and keyboard stand slides out.

You may need to make it deeper but that's not too difficult

I have an old tray on that and all my bits are on it

When I have finished just slide tray in and close doors. 

The top can be used for anything unrelated to modelling

• Thanks 1

If you've got exterior space, a shed could be an option, maybe merging the budget with the household by creating a larger one that can be used for storage as well as modelling.  You want to get your paints & glues out of the loft ASAP if not sooner, as those kinds of temperature extreme are just not good for paints.  I've got a remote sensor in the loft of my workshop (converted garage with peaked roof), and it's currently a balmy 28oc in there at the moment.  The constant rise/fall is not good for them, and in the winter the humidity and cold is just as bad for things.  I've posted a screenshot of my thermometer below, which will give you an idea of what's going on out of sight in your loft 🥵

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In my first apartment in the 80's, I used to model in the kitchen on a folding table,but it was real hassle and impediment to modeling,if I wanted to do something,I had to drag everything out,and if my wife had something going on,then it was out of the question.

Not being sarcastic,but if modeling is s big part of your life,you must think ahead.I have bought two houses since and I never considered a house without a basement or space for a bench.

So your only real solution is to move 😄

Edited by Tojo72
  • Thanks 1

I used to do my modelling on the dining room table, unfold a newspaper and bash on.

When my youngest moved out I became the proud habitue of a nice sized room, bought a folding table and have the modelling gear in the bookshelves.

Trouble is the room is now full of guitars, amps and a keyboard! 🤣

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Black Knight said:

Get 

a. a small fold away occasional table

b. a veggie storage rack thingy

Those are definitely looking like the most likely option.  The veg rack doohdah in particular could be very handy.  I might even have space to store one, if I chuck away little set of drawers I have in the utility room.

9 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

Is there a shed option?

Possibly; our landlord muttered something about possibly letting me use part of his workshop, but nothing else has been mentioned since then.  I'd take it if it was offered, but I'd rather work at home if possible.

8 hours ago, Duncan B said:

Where there's a will there's a way and it sounds like you're not ready to give up plastic bashing just yet. Good luck with finding a solution and do let us know what you find works best for you as you'll not be the only person struggling with workspace.

I will keep you posted; I'm not ready to throw the towel in yet (I still seem to be buying kits, at any rate!).

7 hours ago, Marlin said:

Hi JRK. :D  @jackroadkill 

One option could be if you invest in a mobile workstation

That looks very smart, to be fair.  I have an drawer-type organiser that's great for paints, small parts etc but it's not at the same level as the one you posted.

7 hours ago, ckw said:

How big is the loft?

Not quite big enough, I'm afraid, Colin.  The house is a converted stone agricultural building and there's not much space above the ceilings, and what space there is is full of trusses and masses of insulation.  If it was absolutely imperative I could perhaps build up there to prove that it could be done but, unlike your loft, I doubt it would be very comfortable!

5 hours ago, Mike said:

If you've got exterior space, a shed could be an option

You want to get your paints & glues out of the loft ASAP if not sooner,

You're not wrong; the loft is ridiculously insulated so temps are never very low in there but at the moment it's beyond sweltering.  We do have a good sized storage cupboard built into our bedroom, but somebody has filled it with gun cabinets and has perhaps pushed his luck a little too far to announce to 'Er Indoors that he's going to evict even more of her stuff to put his paints in there!  As such, getting myself sorted sooner rather than later is important because I don't want to ruin all of those paints.

5 hours ago, Neil.C said:

When my youngest moved out I became the proud habitue of a nice sized room, bought a folding table and have the modelling gear in the bookshelves.

Trouble is the room is now full of guitars, amps and a keyboard! 🤣

I keep hoping our last rugrat will fly the nest and then I can take over her room; so far that's not happened!

Thanks very much for your suggestions, folks, they're much appreciated.  I'll let you know how I get on.

• Like 3

• jackroadkill changed the title to New house, no space - so what to do?
9 hours ago, Tojo72 said:

Not being sarcastic,but if modeling is s big part of your life,you must think ahead.I have bought two houses since...

...one for modelling in and a spare for living in the rest of the time

• Haha 3

Hi

I work on my kitchen table .if it helps here's a photo.

spacer.png

Everything is stored on shelves in utility room. The Macalister box is from B&Q (no affiliation). It's tall enough for microsol and valejjo bottles. I tend to fill it with the paints I'm going to need for a particular build. The box on the right has been partionned with cardboard 🙂 to make it easier to store tools,etc (sorry bit of a mess at the mo)

I am fortunate to have a workbench in the garage but given it is not heated I tend to work in the kitchen. I only used acrylics. Any lacquer spraying is done in the garage when it's not too cold.

Hope this helps

Nick 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Have you ever been interested in figure painting? Realistic or fantasy figure painting is a huge part of our hobby and takes up very little room. It's definitely something that can be put away when you've finished for the day.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Have you ever been interested in figure painting? Realistic or fantasy figure painting is a huge part of our hobby and takes up very little room. It's definitely something that can be put away when you've finished for the day.

When I was a young 'un I painted Warhammer 40k miniatures but it doesn't float my boat like aircraft do.  However, I'll bear it in mind for the future, because it might be an option further down the line.

2 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

It will also equip you with new skills and knowledge for when you are able to return to whatever it is you really want to do. And I hope that happens for you soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

And I hope that happens for you soon.

Thanks Bertie, much appreciated.  I know that it's not a big deal when compared to problems faced by other folks in the world, so I don't want to moan too much, but I would like to get back to it soon.

For many years I modelled from a board placed across the arms of an armchair.  A piece of plywood with Formica on one side to provide a hard surface and two polystyrene ceiling tiles on the underside for a soft contact with the chair arms.   (Formica and polystyrene ceiling tiles - how '70s!  but it worked.)   I definitely advise taking it to the kitchen table for painting, though.  There are times when simple answers are all that are needed.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GrahamS said:

Sell the youngest, use their room as your workshop and use the money to buy more kits.

Graham

Sadly this is also out of the question - something about the UDHR, or something.  Either way, it looks like she's staying!

1 hour ago, Graham Boak said:

For many years I modelled from a board placed across the arms of an armchair.  A piece of plywood with Formica on one side to provide a hard surface and two polystyrene ceiling tiles on the underside for a soft contact with the chair arms.   (Formica and polystyrene ceiling tiles - how '70s!  but it worked.)   I definitely advise taking it to the kitchen table for painting, though.  There are times when simple answers are all that are needed.

I'm thinking that in the immediate term at least the kitchen table might feature quite heavily, unfortunately.

I suppose I could break my maximum-of-three-kits-being-built-at-a-time rule and crack open a small kit and try that, using the suggestions made above.  In the old house I was spoiled really, as my desk / bench was 180x100cm and had a shelf at the back, to say nothing of three drawers on each side.  I've still got it, dismantled, in the (tiny)shed, but I'm thinking it'll have to go, because there's no way it's fitting into this new place without causing some serious domestic friction.

• Like 1