Tamiya 1/48 Brewster F2A-2 Buffalo - Finished

Well, Buffalo is on hold for a little while whilst I wait for some X-11 to turn up as I unfortunately ran out and my local hobbycraft didn't have any in stock.. 🙁 Joy of hardly any brick and mortar model shops near to me.. 

Decided to kill some time and paint the pilot.. 

Brewster-F2-A-2-Buffalo-21.jpg

• Like 5

I know.. it's an odd pose as majority of Pilot Figures are posed with either hands on stick and throttle or just sitting with hands outstretched... 

I'm still awaiting some paints without which I can't progress this build.. Typical would run out halfway through. D'oh....

• Like 1

Lovely little catch up. I see you have found the trials of “getting it the right colour” I found I got a little stressed at times about getting everything correct and ended up almost scared to paint anything.  That’s why I always go for “accurate enough” on my builds. 😇

The engine and cockpit look great. You’rea brave mean painting those dials. 👏👏👏

Love the pilot. he looks like he’s just seen the cutest puppy in the world. 🤩

fingers crossed for a speedy paint delivery. 

Johnny

• Thanks 1

Finally a bit more of a substative update as E-Models delivered my tin of Tamiya X-11 Silver I was missing.. amongst other things lol.

Control stick Painted

Brewster-F2-A-2-Buffalo-22.jpg

Undercarriage Linkage arms painted

Brewster-F2-A-2-Buffalo-23.jpg

Wings added and dry-fitted.. now glued into place

Brewster-F2-A-2-Buffalo-24.jpg

And last not least tailplanes glued into place, Next up will be assembling the rear of the cockpit with the Life Raft container and the roll bar, ready for the canopy to be installed prior to masking fuselage for priming and then spraying. (Will be fun as am planning on using rattle can... 😬)

Brewster-F2-A-2-Buffalo-25.jpg

Thanks for looking 🙂

• Like 8

Thanks Johnny, She no longer has a black dress having had a coat of Tamiya XF-16 Aluminium now. I was going to spray it with the Rattle can I bought but am not sure as I've almost always brushed my models.. will sleep on it and see. The canopy is on now, masked and waiting for paint. 

• Like 1

Brewster-F2-A-2-Buffalo-29.jpg

Here we are, think may need at least another coat of this brush painted or a spray coat from the rattle can.. Can then start masking the Wings for painting. 

• Like 8

I’m pretty sure that the ‘ yellow wing ‘ Buffalos were finished with aluminium lacquer rather than natural metal so a coat of gloss varnish might sort out any unevenness. I often use Tamiya AS 12 ‘ Bare Metal Silver ‘ for a painted aluminium finish

John. 🇺🇦

Yes, have seen photos of the F4F-3 which is currently on display at the Naval Air Museum at Pensacola and its more grey than metal in its finish and as you say definitely a glossy finish. I can't recall whether i had bought AS-11 or AS-12 shall have to go check 🙂

Hardly, roasted all week... 🥵 and still melting now... shall be getting back on with the Buffalo this week coming before I start my Canadian Group Build project.. 🇨🇦

• 11 months later...

Wow, well life certainly throws you curve balls... things happened in real life which needed my attention so modelling went on the back burner..

Anyways - am back now. Gave the Buffalo a coat of TS-30 Silver Leaf as per the instructions. 

Brewster-F2-A-2-Buffalo-30.jpg

Here's some more progress - 1st Picture shows the 1st coat of yellow on the wings 

Brewster-F2-A-2-Buffalo-31.jpg

2nd Picture then has the 2nd coat of yellow on the wings, the white markings on the tail and the black on the cowling

20230618-155008.jpg

Finally masking off on the cowling, and wheels installed

20230618-164041.jpg

• Like 2

Nice 3-F-11 coming there, but please remember the 12 inch wide anti-glare panel running from the windscreen to the cowling....

• Like 1

Aha.. thought there was something amiss from the Tamiya Instruction sheet... Need to do the wing walkways too so shall add it to the top of the fuselage. Many thanks Jim.

Aargh...... Have spent a frustrating evening with the Tamiya Decals.. ultimately they have shown their age and 2 of the wing stars disintegrated, the others were very difficult to get off the backing paper.. 

20230621-230417.jpg

F2A-2 decal fell apart as did the black stripe which between the hand hold and the foot step on the left hand side of the fuselage... 

20230621-230432.jpg

20230621-230448.jpg

Took the masking off the canopy... mostly successful however on the left hand side some spray got through the opening for the telescope and inside the canopy... 😞

20230621-232307.jpg

Underside of the aircraft with the masking off the underside glazing.

20230621-232327.jpg

Some touchups will be required on the paintwork and the canopy before a further varnish coat.

Edited by Mattp7999
  • Like 2

Second coat of gloss varnish done... just need to rig the aerial wire and consider some weathering, from looking at pictures these aircraft seem really really clean.. guess they didn't spend that long in Yellow Wings and Silver before they were painted Neutrality Grey in 1941... 

Brewster-F2-A-2-Buffalo-34.jpg

• Like 2

Lovely! 

You can’t beat a yellow wing Buffalo, the camouflaged version just doesn’t have the same appeal.

The decals were always the weak point of Tamiya kits, especially after a few years in the box. I always try to find alternatives when possible.

John

• Thanks 1