Airfix 54mm 10th Hussar- help needed

Yorkshire man

I have the above kit without instructions but can access an on-line copy, all I need is the length of strap 'A' on the instruction sheet for the straps so I can down load and print out to scale this template, many thanks.

Reading this has made me ponder something.  I made most of these Airfix 54mm figures in my teenage years when they first released.

When I built these I chose to use paper for the straps instead of the plasticard that was provided.  Just intrigued what made me do that, there was no internet at that time, I wasn’t in a model club, didn’t have friends in the hobby and didn’t buy magazines (couldn’t afford them).

So somehow, I must have come up with the idea on my own - just wondering what made me do it, was it a sensible thing to do, was it a common thing to do, anyone else do it?

Cheers,

Nigel

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/06/2022 at 07:21, nheather said:

So somehow, I must have come up with the idea on my own - just wondering what made me do it, was it a sensible thing to do, was it a common thing to do, anyone else do it?

I did, as it was easy to cut the straps directly out of the instruction sheet, perhaps that was why?  

I also used the plastic card.  In some ways the paper was a better option, as the card was stiff, even though it was very thin. 

5 minutes ago, Ratch said:

the foil from wine bottles

used to be great.   Decent win may still have proper metal sheet, most of it is now plastic coated.   You often get decent foil on better brands of whiskey

Tuaca used to some lovely metal seals in their bottles.....   

I'm not a raging alcoholic, but work in a pub.... which is how I know this, and why I have lots of Tuaca foil stashed ;) 

18 hours ago, Black Knight said:

I generally use either painted Tamiya masking tape or coloured plastic electrical tape. Brown electrical is excellent for 'leather' horse harness

This conversion uses Tamiya tape and electrical tape. Generally, electrical tape for the horse harness and all other straps are painted Tamiya masking tape. Superglue hold them in place. Just a drop is needed. Even the rider's puttees are made of thin strips of masking tape carefully wound around the leg and painted

(btw, an aside, did you know there are numerous variations on how the puttees are wound, each regiment has its own way of doing it)

WW1%20British%20Cavalry,%206th%20Inniski

• Like 1