1/48 Airfix Spitfire Vb, 'Buck' McNair, Malta

I've finished the third of my triple Malta builds. "Buck" McNair's Spitfire Vb.  The Airfix kit is a great build, requiring only the removal of the reinforcing strips over the wheel wells, Ultracast exhaust, entry door and seat. 

AB264 was a Vickers built Mk Vb, originally finished in the Tropical land scheme (with Sky lowers), and delivered on operation 'Spotter'. After arrival, the Sand color only was oversprayed with a locally mixed Grey and the serials reapplied in White. 

My kit was finished in the same way, desert scheme oversprayed with Grey using Tamiya acrylics, and weathered with pastels and oils.

Build logs here:

part 1

part 2

Hope you like, thanks for looking,

Colin

GNH 1 GNH 2 GNH 3 GNH 5

GNH

GNH 6 GNH 7 GNH 8 GNH 10 GNH 9 GNH 13 GNH 14

Edited by Tail-Dragon
more details
  • Like 45
  • Thanks 3

24 minutes ago, Tail-Dragon said:

I've finished the third of my triple Malta builds. "Buck" McNair's Spitfire Vb.  The Airfix kit is a great build, requiring only the removal of the reinforcing strips over the wheel wells, Ultracast exhaust, entry door and seat. 

AB264 was a Vickers built Mk Vb, originally finished in the Tropical land scheme (with Sky lowers), and delivered on operation 'Spotter'. After arrival, the Sand color only was oversprayed with a locally mixed Grey and the serials reapplied in White. 

My kit was finished in the same way, desert scheme oversprayed with Grey using Tamiya acrylics, and weathered with pastels and oils.

Build logs here:

part 1

part 2

Hope you like, thanks for looking,

Colin

GNH 1 GNH 2 GNH 3 GNH 5

GNH

GNH 6 GNH 7 GNH 8 GNH 10 GNH 9 GNH 13 GNH 14

Welcome in the Malta club.

Alain

• Tail-Dragon changed the title to 1/48 Airfix Spitfire Vb, 'Buck' McNair, Malta
2 hours ago, Paulaero said:

Very nice finish, I must get round to a Malta Spit , having been there previously  but the problem is which one as it seems they were all different ........

Thanks!  That's what make Malta's aircraft such an interesting topic, you could build dozens of aircraft from the same tiny island and the same time frame and never repeat yourself once.  The Paul Lucas 'Color conundrum' articles and the Brian Caucchi book have so many unique and colorful schemes.

Edited by Tail-Dragon
  • Like 1