1917 Model T Ambulance, RPM Models 1:72

Well, that didn't work out very well.

I don't normally thin Vallejo paints, but for some reason I did this time....

52257061710_bdaef5391a_c.jpg

It hasn't covered well for some reason, so I won't thin these paints next time. In addition to that, it's also far too dark for my liking, and too brown. (The pic doesn't show it as dark as it is) This is Vallejo Khaki 3. I've ordered some Tamiya XF-49 Khaki and will see how that looks.

There's also a little more filling to be done on the canopy.

52256595548_8b0e09e13c_c.jpg

This is the same colour as the above pic, but looks far greener for some reason. I may leave the canopy in this colour just for a bit of contrast between the painted wood and the canvass. We'll see later whether I stay with that plan!

Ian

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Pleased I found my way here from the Battle thread, worrying how I seem to miss these at times, I'll put it down to my, at the time, impending retirement. Now I'm retired, its catch up time & a great catch up, some mind boggling work going on here, I'm well impressed. Nice going Ian.

Steve.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/14/2022 at 4:30 AM, stevehnz said:

Pleased I found my way here from the Battle thread, worrying how I seem to miss these at times, I'll put it down to my, at the time, impending retirement. Now I'm retired, its catch up time & a great catch up, some mind boggling work going on here, I'm well impressed. Nice going Ian.

Steve.

Thanks Steve, welcome aboard!

I had a good day at this today, and have been doing little bits and pieces during the week too. The result is that it is now almost ready for assembly. I have made up some little extras to give it a bit more life. Those include the radiator filler cap, rear view mirror, starting handle, handbrake, exhaust, foot pedals, (yes, I know, they are tiny. But with such an open cab at least some sort of representation needs to be added), front and rear suspension braces, and steering rack. The headlights and lanterns have been drilled out too.

Those have all been painted so this is the state of play at pub time tonight.

Lanterns with added brackets

52302200987_2a49005db5_c.jpg

Steering wheel. It still needs a small piece of aluminium rod for the levers, but now painted

52303179926_fdf1619d34_c.jpg

Exhaust (it will stay black, I can't be bothered to paint it up more accurately as it really won't be seen anyway!)

52303195863_c2751a5378_c.jpg

I'm rather pleased with the wheels...

52303179896_efa8c7f82c_c.jpg

The radiator got a black wash to give it a bit more realism. It's a bit glossy at the moment but will get a coat of matt clear.

52303454859_10654873f2_c.jpg

Just for the heck of it I slipped the two main pieces together to see how it looked. Not too bad, though I do say so myself!

52303195758_0d8d2a898a_c.jpg

52303454799_03957667e5_c.jpg

Once all the extras are attached it should look reasonably busy!

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

• Like 14

Stunning work and all your extra additions take this to the next level, got to keep reminding myself that this is only 1/72 scale

Stay safe                     Roger

• Like 1

On 8/26/2022 at 1:18 AM, TheBaron said:

I miss this build when it's not around - lovely progress Ian. The steering wheel a particular favourite! :clap2:

Many thanks Tony, I do hope you're recovering from the dreaded lurgy and will be back on form soon!

As far as this one goes, I wasn't really happy with the rear panelling, particularly the kit supplied lower part. To help matters, I watched a couple of You-tube vids on surface modelling and took a  crack at that today. All went reasonably well. I added a new lower pane to the existing upper panel I'd already done, then tried my hand at lofting in surface mode to try to replicate the canvass covers which allowed for the stretcher handles.

Not perfect by any means but I'm happy with the result in this scale.

The only real problem I had was in thickening the surfaces. Fusion would not allow me to thicken on the inside on all the faces, which meant that some of the surfaces then protuded slightly to the outside. Not really an issue in this scale as a quick swipe with a file took care of that, but I'd like to figure out how to do it properly!

The surface lofting could also come in handy for the engine block on my Taube so progress made!

52315223330_8a058fb1e5_c.jpg

52315093313_e447d7869b_c.jpg

We'll see if the gap between lower and upper panels shows up under paint. If not I'll have to enlarge it a bit.

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

• Like 7

Your surface detailing on that piece looks superb even before paint Ian. :clap:

2 hours ago, Brandy said:

The only real problem I had was in thickening the surfaces. Fusion would not allow me to thicken on the inside on all the faces,

You're not alone in this issue Ian - I had it in a number of instances on the Vixen. The only way I can recall fixing such a matter off the top of my head was to thicken different surfaces without stitching them together in the 'Surfaces' workspace , so that once they'd turned into bodies, you could use the 'Combine' tool on them in the 'Solids' workspace. Depended very much in the shape and proximity to other irregularly shaped surfaces though. Other times I had to build the shape as a solid to begin with, and use the 'Shell' function to create a wall thickness.

• Like 3

Oh my. So glad that I stumbled across this little gem. 🤩 soooo tiny❤️
A nice mix of old school scratch building / mending and new school 3D design and printing. Exactly what you’d expect from your run of the mill OOB build. 😂🤣

I think this is my favorite bit of printing.

On 22/08/2022 at 13:38, Brandy said:

now painted

52303179926_fdf1619d34_c.jpg

I think it shows just how useful 3D printing can be to our lovely hobby. ❤️

I’ll be tagging along if that’s ok. I need more of this in my life.

Alas I can’t help with the window cover as I don’t use fusion. I know how I would do it in 3D Studio but that wouldn’t help.

Seems like you have it in the bag though as it looks splendid already.

Looking forward to more of this tiny wonder.

Johnny.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Your surface detailing on that piece looks superb even before paint Ian. :clap:

You're not alone in this issue Ian - I had it in a number of instances on the Vixen. The only way I can recall fixing such a matter off the top of my head was to thicken different surfaces without stitching them together in the 'Surfaces' workspace , so that once they'd turned into bodies, you could use the 'Combine' tool on them in the 'Solids' workspace. Depended very much in the shape and proximity to other irregularly shaped surfaces though. Other times I had to build the shape as a solid to begin with, and use the 'Shell' function to create a wall thickness.

Many thanks Tony.  The video I watched also mentioned deliberately extending the surfaces beyond each other then trimming them back with the CUT function, but I totally forgot about that!

2 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Oh my. So glad that I stumbled across this little gem. 🤩 soooo tiny❤️
A nice mix of old school scratch building / mending and new school 3D design and printing. Exactly what you’d expect from your run of the mill OOB build. 😂🤣

I think this is my favorite bit of printing.

I’ll be tagging along if that’s ok. I need more of this in my life.

Alas I can’t help with the window cover as I don’t use fusion. I know how I would do it in 3D Studio but that wouldn’t help.

Seems like you have it in the bag though as it looks splendid already.

Looking forward to more of this tiny wonder.

Johnny.

Thanks Johnny, welcome aboard! I must admit I am rather pleased with the steering wheel myself! I just hope I can fit it securely/accurately!

I got some paint on the new rear panels today after giving the the canvas bag a bit of a clean up with a jeweler's file. I rounded off the corners a bit and made the outline a bit less sharp. I'm happy with it now.

52316606768_f18c2f6346_c.jpg

I'm not going to reprint it but may take a micro saw to the joint between the two panels so that it is obvious that there are 2 panels.

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

• Like 9

On 8/28/2022 at 2:11 PM, Bengalensis said:

The tiny size of this is almost beyond comprehension when you see the parts alone. Fantastic!

Thanks Jörgen, much appreciated!

Well, I lied in my last post. I did reprint the rear panels. I did try to open them up but the part split so I widened the gap and reprinted.

52324240228_a25eea5d57_c.jpg

That's much better! It's also before I took a file to the edges to smooth the bag part out a little. Today it got painted, and along with the roof, got fitted.

The fit of the roof is not great so I've clamped it and will go for a beer to let it harden properly. The tailgate part was attached with GG and then I ran some thin plastic glue along the joint to help fill it. It sems to have worked, but we'll see when I remove the clamp tomorrow!

52324493060_77e8579cff_c.jpg

52323253507_b675d1bd49_c.jpg

52324494145_8fd8a609d8_c.jpg

Once it's dry it'll get a bit of filler and a sand down to tidy up the edges. I think I'll paint the canvass parts a slightly different colour to give it a bit more visual interest, but not sure what colour to use. The body is Tamiya Khaki XF49. Should I lighten that a little or use or more tan colour?

Feedback welcome!

Thanks for looking in,

Ian

• Like 10

26 minutes ago, Brandy said:

The body is Tamiya Khaki XF49. Should I lighten that a little or use or more tan colour?

I think I'd start with white and add khaki until satisfied with the lighter shade, sort of sun bleached.

• Like 2

No weathering for me, I like my models clean!

Besides, it would mean I have to spend a small fortune on weathering products and I'm too tight!

Ian

• Confused 1

On 8/27/2022 at 10:00 PM, TheBaron said:

Me too (or three?) I had the odd (seemingly random) failures when thickening surfaces with the various hawk canopy sections.  Curiously there would be times when I couldn't thicken a surface but could shell the equivalent solid (per Tony) and other times when I couldn't shell a solid but it would permit thickening the equivalent surface.  Maddening at times :D

On 8/28/2022 at 8:25 AM, The Spadgent said:

Agreed.  A gem of a build.

• Like 4

Ian, one thing I learned when thickening from a surface as opposed to shelling a solid was to be aware how the edges/outline of the resultant thickened/shelled solid can differ.

This will be obvious to them as is brighter than me - and apologies for the thread drift - but for them as don't know, this is what I mean.

This is a lofted surface of a hawk windscreen:

895AB87A-8376-445A-A62A-1C7762783E48

7817A016-CC05-437D-899C-09BFE3FE8185

And the equivalent lofted solid:

54DA8BC3-5CB4-414C-AB51-8E41448C026E

7ADF3583-6291-413F-8BF3-6BE8AD81CF5E

The surface internally thickening by 0.5mm gives this solid:

A1B5055A-5AC3-4E74-9666-EBAFB24D60E7

74EBA931-D9A3-4C5A-97E4-48ABD3908E28

Whereas the solid shelled to 0.5mm gives this:

D7D02132-689F-4859-9FAD-D23570FF5602

939A578E-681C-4964-90C9-8AE6A48892D0

The contours of the edges are different towards the the front of the two windscreens, where (and because) the curve of the surface doesn't end with a vertical tangent.

It's logical why the algorithms for thickening and shelling will lead to different outcomes with shapes like this - but I at least hadn't anticipated it.

Note; in this particular case it would be easy enough to use a cut extrude from a side profile to trim the thickened surface to match the same shape/profile as the shelled solid (a technique I used on the hawk canopy frames).

Anyways thread drift over and apologies for any grandmother and sucked eggs scenario  :D:blush:

Edited by Fritag
typo
  • Like 5

Thanks Steve, that makes sense. However, the only reason I used surface modelling here was because I couldn't figure out how to do it as a solid and get the look I wanted. The thickness is only 0.2mm and you can clearly see how thin that is on the first pick of my last post. The light areas have been painted on the reverse side!

I will take a pic of the spares that were printed held up to the light and post that when I get home to show it more clearly.

I guess it all comes down to playing around with it and experimenting to see which approach can be made to work best for the result we want.

Ian

• Like 2

Right then, paint has been (carefully) thrown at this and I'm pretty pleased with the result. I mixed the Khaki with XF 55 Deck Tan to give it a lighter, but also slightly browner, shade. The masking took a couple of hours but was worth the effort.

52336069653_08d0a0a53a_c.jpg

52336129224_0deef5f523_c.jpg

Definitely an improvement over the kit part and original 3d printed piece.

52334878077_628d926c9c_c.jpg

I think with that I'm about ready to start adding cab details. I do need to add the windows from Kristal Klear before adding the body to the chassis, but the cab needs doing first. Everything is painted so it should just be a case of gluing it all in. Only problem is it's so small!

Ian

ps touch ups of the overspray have already been done!

• Like 12

On 9/5/2022 at 6:06 PM, hendie said:

Lovely micro modeling Ian.  That's looking rather tasty

Thanks Alan!

22 hours ago, Spiny said:

This whole thing looks so small, I have to keep reminding myself it's 1/72 as it's so well done. And then you're talking about adding detail... 😲

See below for added detail!

"Detail" added! Although the pics look pretty rough it doesn't look that bad to the naked eye. Foot pedals, steering wheel, and handbrake done.

52339384475_17fe44ec14_c.jpg

52338000662_cd1bdece7e_c.jpg

Some touching up to do, but nothing major. Windows and headlight/lantern lenses have also been added with Kristal Klear. So that basically means it's almost time to add the rear body to the chassis. Then decals and undercarriage and done.

Well, not quite that simple but on the way to getting done soon!

Ian

• Like 7