F-86 Sabre - Hasegawa 1/48

Here’s my completed F-86 from the Hasegawa kit. The paint scheme on this turned into a bit of a mission - turns out Alclad chrome is v delicate and would chip easily so I spent a huge amount of time doing spot repairs and touch ups throughout the build. Masking and painting yellow on top of that made things even more difficult- I got there in the end but wouldn’t consider it one of my best builds. There are a few issues with the model including decal film showing and minor seams.  That said it’s still nice to have a shiny Sabre in the collection. 

The kit is okay for its age and probably the best option for a Sabre in this scale.  I used aftermarket decals some eduard photoetch in the cockpit and a resin seat replacement. 

X6Jkswb.jpg
n3qnpdj.jpg

vF7Z8An.jpg
OAYQxbJ.jpg

6ohvHo3.jpg

l6wBSWv.jpg

o3nmQTe.jpg

aYRYtH6.jpg

0PpYIU7.jpg

xCV4cpW.jpg

TZGNGuc.jpg

yoDzNwY.jpg

VhikcEN.jpg

• Like 59
  • Thanks 3

Love the chrome;  but afraid to use it.  Could you share your secret for the interior green of the cockpit. It' captures the look. Thank you. 

Edited by 28ZComeback
  • Like 1

That's a nice Sabre!

I like the metal effect and the weathering on it👍 

I have the same project now in Greek version F-86E(M) and you gave me more inspiration for my project.

Keep up your good job...

Giannis Doxas

• Like 1

22 hours ago, 28ZComeback said:

Love the chrome;  but afraid to use it.  Could you share your secret for the interior green of the cockpit. It' captures the look. Thank you. 

the cockpit appears to be painted grey, not green, however Korean era F-86E cockpits were black.

Kitchen Modeler;

Love the NMF finish and the subtle tonal variations,  great work !

Tony

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/16/2022 at 4:22 PM, 28ZComeback said:

Thanks - the colour is mr color interior green C27 with a little zinc chromite mixed in. 

On 6/17/2022 at 2:30 PM, Tony Edmundson said:

the cockpit appears to be painted grey, not green, however Korean era F-86E cockpits were black.

Kitchen Modeler;

Love the NMF finish and the subtle tonal variations,  great work !

Tony

Thanks Tony. I did dig into this some what - An American friend who’s Dad flew Sabres in Korea said that 3 colours were used during the war - black, green and grey - so I went with grey as it was apparently more common mid war. But I wouldn’t bet my life on it or anything. It seems to be a ‘what color were spitfire wheel wells’ kind of situation- everyone has their own opinion 😊

Absolutely spectacular!!!
Getting a realistic dirt look on a metallic painted aircraft is hard, really hard, but you have achieved a simply perfect result. I suppose that it was done with oils, which you master so well.
I like your models more and more, you reach an impressive degree of realism.

Andrés.

• Like 1