Airfix Swift FR5, how to convert into an F1

phat trev

Without using any resin addons or conversion sets, I am interested in backdating the 1/72 Airfix Supermarine Swift to show an early production example of the fighter. I have some pieces of an old Swift F.1 Hawk kit to provide a very basic example of what to change on the more modern Airfix version, but does anyone save any recommendation on what needs changing. Maybe some have already undertaken the conversion? 

“Jack up windscreen, insert new aeroplane, lower windscreen.”

It’s not quite that extensive but there’s a lot of work.  In no particular order:

shorten nose ahead of windscreen, deleting camera provision and reshaping nose profile in the process,

replace cockpit canopy with more heavily-framed type with “solid” rear section,

remove more sharply-swept inboard section of wing leading edge and outboard “dog-tooth” producing a straight leading edge from root to tip,

delete upper fuselage auxiliary intakes,

reduce height of fin by deleting section below bottom line of rudder,

modify tailplanes back from all-moving to fixed forward section with conventional elevators,

delete variable-area reheat nozzle and shorten rear fuselage by approx. 1 scale  foot.

Both the Swift F. Mk. 1 and FR. Mk. 5 were fitted with two ADEN 30mm cannon but I can’t remember if the weapons in the F. Mk. 1 were in the inboard or outboard positions and my copy of Nigel Walpole’s Swift Justice is presently inaccessible in the Loft of Doom.

On 6/15/2022 at 9:55 PM, phat trev said:

Without using any resin addons or conversion sets, I am interested in backdating the 1/72 Airfix Supermarine Swift to show an early production example of the fighter. I have some pieces of an old Swift F.1 Hawk kit to provide a very basic example of what to change on the more modern Airfix version, but does anyone save any recommendation on what needs changing. Maybe some have already undertaken the conversion? 

Might want to ask the mods to move this into cold war for some additional answers, the swift was definitely not a pre war aircraft!😉

Selwyn

AlleyCat do conversions for the F1, F2/F4 & F7 - https://www.alleycatmodels.co.uk/alleycat-aircraft-sets-172-scale-233-c.asp - at the bottom of the list.

If you don't want to get a conversion then the photos will show what needs to be changed, as Stever219 said, there are a lot of changes.

11 minutes ago, Selwyn said:

Might want to ask the mods to move this into cold war for some additional answers, the swift was definitely not a pre war aircraft!😉

Selwyn

.....and probably not as good!

Steve

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, BritJet said:

AlleyCat do conversions for the F1, F2/F4 & F7 - https://www.alleycatmodels.co.uk/alleycat-aircraft-sets-172-scale-233-c.asp - at the bottom of the list.

If you don't want to get a conversion then the photos will show what needs to be changed, as Stever219 said, there are a lot of changes.

.....and probably not as good!

Steve

OOH! you sound all bitter and twisted!  🤪

Selwyn

58 minutes ago, Selwyn said:

OOH! you sound all bitter and twisted!  🤪

Selwyn

A missed opportunity caused by rushing it into service well before all the problems had been ironed out. The FR5 was a decent aircraft but only in a very different role from originally intended.