Victor prototype conversion

This started life as the old Matchbox HP Victor K2 as re-boxed by Revell and I added the Flightpath Victor B1 conversion, took lots of bits away and made a new fin and cockpit transparency. Lots of fun with filling and sanding but it wasn't a difficult conversion.

The Work In Progress is here as part of the Big and British GB.

The silver is from a Halfords rattle-can, the black and the red stripe are Humbrol gloss enamel. After an overall coat of gloss the home printed decals were added before an overall coat of matt varnish .

Back in the early 1950s the Victor must have looked very futuristic compared with the Lincolns and Washingtons in service with the RAF. I think the colour scheme makes it look very menacing as well but was probably chosen to hide a few details from the prying eyes to the East. 

O9aqs2rt_o.jpg
YFtT5vr8_o.jpg
bvB3lygd_o.jpg

I couldn't resist a photo with my Valiant prototype from a few years back - the build for that one is here

RiJ0aVtT_o.jpg

Also a photo with the HP88 which was built to test the Victor's crescent wing - some more photos of the HP88 here 

CUgPLq3q_o.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Steve

• Like 66
  • Thanks 2

Very nice.  Always like the prototype colour scheme.  Very menacing indeed.  Is that the one that could have done with another bolt in the tail?  Did you have a lot of work to do on the outer wings?

Thanks guys.

21 hours ago, bar side said:

Very nice.  Always like the prototype colour scheme.  Very menacing indeed.  Is that the one that could have done with another bolt in the tail?  Did you have a lot of work to do on the outer wings?

Yes there was an extra bolt added to the production Victors to hold the tail on. The outer wings needed the pods, vortex generators and the wingtips removing, also the leading edge had to be removed, narrowed and put back.

20 hours ago, Mike N said:

This looks fantastic! A flawless finish, especially good given the amount of surgery involved. Now you just need to do the Vulcan prototype to complete the trio...

Once the silver went on I could see a couple of areas that needed a bit more work but the parts fitted together well despite being a combination of Matchbox, Flightpath and scratchbuilt. Do I have to do the Vulcan myself or can I have yours? You do need the room for that 'beautiful' new Nimrod.....

20 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

This looks fantastic! Now you need to build VX770 and you'll have the three (all ill-fated) first prototypes. Maybe add VX158 for the fourth not quite V Bomber

The Vulcan prototype is on the list and will complete the set. When I was taking the photos it crossed my mind that they all had very short lives. I did the Sperrin back in 2015, a lot of the photo links have died but the build is here

A couple of the finished model

K4fECQoy_o.jpg
MWTZbO1E_o.jpg

Steve

• Like 10

Thats nice, and my favourite Victor scheme. As a young aircraft mad boy growing up in St Albans we lived under the approach path to Radlett.

The Victor captured my imagination then and is still my favourite military design. It looked pretty futuristic to a small boy, and six decades later looks pretty futuristic to this old man!

• Like 1

Thanks.

21 hours ago, Hook said:

Exemplary!, she just oozes Flash Gordon. 

It really does look like something from science fiction. There must have been a few gasps when it was first shown in public.

11 hours ago, Kiwidave4 said:

Thats nice, and my favourite Victor scheme. As a young aircraft mad boy growing up in St Albans we lived under the approach path to Radlett.

The Victor captured my imagination then and is still my favourite military design. It looked pretty futuristic to a small boy, and six decades later looks pretty futuristic to this old man!

A very interesting area to live in back then with DH at Hatfield and HP at Radlett. Victors going in and out of the small airfield at Radlett must have been quite a sight. Such a shame those airfields are gone now.

Steve

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Stunning work Steve , great modelling- I agree with you the Victor prototype looks really menacing.  The Youtube Farnborough video of the early 50s makes it look centuries ahead of many of its contemporaries.🙂Colin