Are Kinetic airplane kits of good quality for detail and especially fit?

SallysDad

I have been looking at these kits for some subjects, such as the F-18 in 1/48, 

and I wonder if people who have built any of the Kinetic kits could talk about fit quality and detail quality.

Thanks.

R

In general, the newer their kits are, the better. Especially their Gold range in the black/gold boxes are pretty good. I've built a few Kinetic kits and they were all buildable, their F-104 being the best of the bunch. The Hornets are very nice too, with a few minor fit issues, but this seems to be a Hornet thing in general.

As above, detail is always good  perfect  fit depends and varies.

Shape is good, apart from the F-16 kits' nose iterations... -stay tuned for, Kinetic announced  a totally retooled Viper for later this year! :thumbsup:

Decals are usually excellent, in content, detail and print quality 

Instructions are usually a bit of a mess and difficult  to read  and understand, especially  if the kit offers several  versions/ variants. 

The Hornet is said to be rather good, fit is tricky at times though! ( but this is true for the Hasegawa kit as well...)

As the others have said , the newer the kit the better the fit. The F-104 is pretty good fit wise. The F-104 detail is also pretty good.  I've built the F-104J , Mirage III and Sea Harrier FRS-1.

All were buildable, detail wise they are about average or above average. Panel lines on the F-104 are definitely better than the Mirage and Sea Harrier. Decals are excellent.  Worst features are the instructions and that there is nothing for the nice detail on the IP, not even decals.

Pricewise, if you look at Lucky Model, they are excellent.

IMHO Kinetic has the best F-104, Mirage III , Mirage 2000 and Classic Hornet in 1/48.  That doesn't include kits no one else does like the E-2, Greyhound etc.  I'd avoid their F-16's and wait til the new tooled F-16s' come along.  I'm looking forward to them redoing all the exotic F-16's to their current standard.

• Like 1