F-4J Phantom

Ray S

• Ray S changed the title to F-4J Phantom
8 hours ago, Duncan B said:

To answer the OP, yes the FM F-4J should be able to be made into an F-4J(UK) with the addition of the slime lights (there are many kits out there that use decals to represent these and in 1/72 scale that would suffice for me). I would wait for a little while and see if FM will release an F-4J(UK) as they usually make the most of their moulds and produce as many variants as they can. They will certainly produce a standard F-4J kit which will include everything needed other than the decals and lights.

Currently they have only produced a Ltd Ed US Marines version which may not have the additional AN/ALQ-126 antenna on the intakes (several of 74 Sqn's a/c didn't have them fitted either. As the RAF didn't use that RWR system the fairings were empty anyway).

Duncan B

Thanks for that Duncan, I think I may well wait and see if they do issue one properly. I have to admit I do get rather confused with all the technical nomenclature that has been mentioned very kindly by everyone and, for me anyway, it would be simpler as a dedicated kit.

7 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

Eff-dash-four-jay (F-4J) or sometimes eff-four-jay-you-kay (F-4J(UK)).  Use of hyphens etc is important, especially when you need to know if we're talking Wildcats or Phantoms.

Dear Sabrejet, please accept my humblest apologies for my absolutely shocking errors, that terrible first post has now been edited. Before I did edit it though, I re-read it through and I think I used just about every option of hyphen/space that I could (not) think of! Thanks for putting me on the one true road my friend!

5 hours ago, junglierating said:

Which sheet is that?

Ive got an Italeri F4J needs using

Links to the next quote @junglierating

4 hours ago, Hook said:

This one, methinks.

Cheers,

Andre

That is the one! I even still have the handwritten receipt from Modeltoys with that sheet - purchased 7th April 1986 for £1.95 with 25p postage! The sheet still looks in very good condition too. I used the 'G' codes on an Esci F-4J which cost me £3.50 and took between May 1986 and April 1987 to build. How sad is it that I know these things?

Thanks for all the responses and help, and those photographs are brilliant!

Ray

13 hours ago, Ray S said:

How sad is it that I know these things?

Are you sure you're not Dutch? ;)

I have these in the stash as well:

https://www.scalemates.com/nl/kits/fujimi-g17-mcdonnell-douglas-raf-phantom-ii-f3-tiger--160473

Plus Microscale 72-486, which does not seem to have a Scalemates listing but features all 74 Squadron F-4J's. 

Cheers,

Andre

• Thanks 1

On 17/06/2022 at 11:01, Sabrejet said:

Eff-dash-four-jay (F-4J) or sometimes eff-four-jay-you-kay (F-4J(UK)).  Use of hyphens etc is important, especially when you need to know if we're talking Wildcats or Phantoms.

Friendly modellers web site or correctional pedantic English site.......... 

On 6/17/2022 at 10:05 AM, Duncan B said:

To answer the OP, yes the FM F-4J should be able to be made into an F-4J(UK) with the addition of the slime lights (there are many kits out there that use decals to represent these and in 1/72 scale that would suffice for me). I would wait for a little while and see if FM will release an F-4J(UK) as they usually make the most of their moulds and produce as many variants as they can. They will certainly produce a standard F-4J kit which will include everything needed other than the decals and lights.

Currently they have only produced a Ltd Ed US Marines version which may not have the additional AN/ALQ-126 antenna on the intakes (several of 74 Sqn's a/c didn't have them fitted either. As the RAF didn't use that RWR system the fairings were empty anyway).

Duncan B

The Marines boxing has all the same sprues as the Navy boxing and seems to contain all the AN/ALQ-126 fairings, for the J anyway. Although they only seemed to have included the smaller right lower intake fairing and not the larger one, though with my extremely limited Phantom knowledge, I have know idea which J's used the larger type. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, iainpeden said:

IIRC the B/N a/c had the longer fairing while the J/S a/c had the shorter one.

I read that the longer ones were only on the N, though that maybe incorrect. But what I was referring to is the fairings on the underside of the intakes either side.