Alclad 'Klear Kotes' remain sticky

Rob de Bie

I been using the five different Alclad 'Klear Kotes' (ALC-310 - ALC-314) for some time now. I like them, but I do notice one problem: these clear coats remain slightly sticky. I particularly note it on an 1/48 F-84F model that I built as a solid model, to be handled to add different stores to it, that have magnets installed. Every time I hold it, I feel the stickyness. The model was painted more than a year ago, so it should be fully cured by now!

f84f-145.jpg

f84f-151.jpg

From at least two decades ago, I remember that Humbrol lacquer clears ('Gloss Cote' and 'Satin Cote') had the same problem. That makes me think that this might be an inherent problem of lacquer clears.

There must be many more users of Alclad 'Klear Kotes'. Do you have the same problem?

Rob

I can't help on the question of the clear coatings but I must say I like the model with its unfussy finish and blue cockpit. It's not at all my own style but I find it very attractive. I also love the model on a stick idea - great fun!

14 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

I can't help on the question of the clear coatings but I must say I like the model with its unfussy finish and blue cockpit. It's not at all my own style but I find it very attractive. I also love the model on a stick idea - great fun!

Thanks for your kind words! Building this 'play model' was a nice variation on building detailed models. I built it deliberately with minimal details, to make it clear that it could be handled, and avoid the impression it was a vulnerable scale model. I also filled the model with resin to give it weight. But still I find even other modellers to be reluctant to handle it.

More here, but warning: there are 14 subpages! It's my most elaborate project so far.

https://robdebie.home.xs4all.nl/models/f84f.htm

f84f-128.jpg

Rob

Edited by Rob de Bie
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, RJP said:

Does the sticky surface attract and hold dust?  

That is an excellent question! The answer is no I think, the model isn't a dust magnet. I had considered it could be the moisture of the fingers causing the stickyness, and your question reinforces that idea..

Rob

9 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

So that's where the detailing went!

Guilty as charged 🙂 But the stores are the reason for doing this project. I'm researching the stores of the RNLAF F-84F, and wanted to use this model to interview former pilots. Covid-19 largely prevented that from happening, but I still have two pilots on my list.

Rob

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rob de Bie said:

Guilty as charged 🙂 But the stores are the reason for doing this project. I'm researching the stores of the RNLAF F-84F, and wanted to use this model to interview former pilots. Covid-19 largely prevented that from happening, but I still have two pilots on my list.

Rob

I would love to see an old pilot with that model in his hands. What joy!

3 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

I would love to see an old pilot with that model in his hands. What joy!

Oh yes indeed! It feels special, definitely. They are from such a different era of military aviation.

One example is that I could not understand why most photos of RNLAF Streaks showed no weapons, just fuel tanks. One answered that they did a lot of navigation missions - they had to learn the area they would be fighting in. Whereas I was thinking in terms of inertial navigation or GPS..

Rob

• Like 1

I am a regular user of Alcad clears both the acrylic and lacquers but have not experienced that,I never really lay it on that heavy,just misting the coats on so that they never are that wet.

I received some other input. that made me remember the following: I think I once read that the moisture (sweat) from your hands is partially absorbed by acrylic paint, with the effect that the glass-rubber transition temperature (Tg for short) is lowered. Maybe it is lowered so much that it roughly equals body temperature, and that the paint becomes rubbery. AFAIK it's one of the problems that make acrylic paints unsuited to many applications. But I do not know what is the 'binder' chemical in Alclad clears is - anyone?

Triggered by this idea, I did a bit more testing. If I touch the painted surface briefly, there is no stickyness. But the longer you hold the model, the stronger the stickyness becomes, up to a certain level of course. That behaviour matches the observations that it does not attract dirt, but does feel sticky when held for a bit.

Rob