Tamiya 1/35 Sherman

I've got another old build here that I've been practicing/improving my weathering skills on. I built this Tamiya Sherman a few years ago and I was never really happy with it (I think I overdid the painting a little), so this felt like a good candidate for a first attempt at some crude chipping. It's ok for a first go - a bit overdone round the cupola and a couple of other places and a little on the shiny side as well. I've spent some time looking at some more youtube resources since doing it and think this has empowered me to do a better job next time - I've got an M-10 tank destroyer to liven up which can be the next canvas. I have managed to tone down the painting I was unhappy with so I'll call this one a mixed success now. Maybe I'll feel brave enough to have another go at it after a few more are under the belt - although if that's the case, I'll probably just try to build another one ;) 

mRvzpR0sPZTbTPY8zGzx3hl1UkUVnV-CHj-gpmhb

YIyRrsT9GjRz9EXL1S9PZoKC2xf2ZPSA3ZLieM05

MpdiyGJJMF06iracOCLn8fbAoN_rhSlTahhYYOYZ

Q9mZ6MpWdPBwhhGS8ZtVxFO8dz8QjB9Kj_Oc2lnh

dX_H_F7qhiKw426Hcd0--ly6jxzoq3rgFajjJ-eV

SIOjdrOtEGj55YI-aOTv7_ZcKL19LKmblNeYrs-T

• Like 17

I think it's very useful to recycle old models as training aids like this. With no worries about messing it all up we can be more creative I think.

Can I suggest trying chip in dark grey rather than shiny metallics? It's something I've picked up from Night Shift on YouTube and I think it looks very effective. It's far easier to paint with than silver, as a bonus. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bertie Psmith said:

I think it's very useful to recycle old models as training aids like this. With no worries about messing it all up we can be more creative I think.

Can I suggest trying chip in dark grey rather than shiny metallics? It's something I've picked up from Night Shift on YouTube and I think it looks very effective. It's far easier to paint with than silver, as a bonus. 

That's interesting because I was watching some Night Shift videos a couple of days ago, I'm going to use some inspiration from there for the next attempt 😉

10 hours ago, MRMRL said:

and a little on the shiny side as well.

as has been noted by @Das Abteilung armour plate does is not not bright metal,  

"Another point on the chipping.  The native colour of steel armour plate, whether face-hardened or rolled homogenous, is a dark chocolate brown.  There would not be bright silver wear or chipping on the armoured parts.  But there might be on the sheet metal parts if the damage was fresh: it would rust up in days.  Armour plate on the other hand rusts only very slowly compared to milder steels."

And a tank that chipped up would be very faded,  US OD was I think baked on, and was tough paint.  For example, a Sherman in NW Europe would not be very old,  dirty yes, chipped. no

11 hours ago, MRMRL said:

I've spent some time looking at some more youtube resources

If you can, look at the real thing.  I'm sure there are some good youtube vids, but too often modellers refer to models/modellers, not the real thing.

Tip, see how youtube vids approach tracks..  if they show them covered in rust..... they are wrong,  again, something I learned on here,  they are Manganese steel.  They don't rust.

"Same as any other WW2 track. Manganese steel alloy for tracks is a pale goldy brown colour something like a light bronze. Initial oxidation is a milky coffee or milk chocolate shade, darkening to a dark coffee/dark chocolate shade over time. By which I mean years.  They don't rust to orangey shades. Covered in mud, dust etc of course."

On final point,  stowage.   I once got a very brief ride in a tank.   Anything in the engine deck needs to be tied down, or it would just vibrate off. 

There are some great resources on youtube of the color film shot by George Stevens, (he was a Hollywod director attached to the US Army, and shot almost all in color)  for example,  if you pause and screen shot, you can get an excellent idea of dust and fading, this is link to a Sherman,  there are others 

more Shermans

https://youtu.be/VS5O9I5AUXI?t=2780

black camo added Shermans

https://youtu.be/LCipbUt-nK4?list=RDCMUCFn1ROV1cysLXMkS53Aw6PQ&t=142

note how the stowage is often tarp wrapped, as well as the air ID panels, let alone detail of uniforms and general diorama ideas. 

Plenty more in the under Chronos media. 

if you are curious,  I did a M-16 Half  Track, and was quite pleased with the weathering,  description is here

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235104634-pk-78-m16-half-tracknow-with-an-added-p5002-american-infantry-figure/

Hope of interest/use.  

cheers

T

• Thanks 3

• 7 months later...

Nice job!  I've read the comments about the colours of the steel and will take this on board myself .... 

I'm finding that working out what is realistic is an art itself, but I think you're getting there  ...... keep practising! 

Keith  😁

• Thanks 1