Revell 1/72 Spitfire Mk IIa

Now I'm not a spitfire expert, I just love them. The build experience was very similar to the Airfix one. But I thought Airfix did the rear landing wheel better, and better quality sprues. Revell's plastics are soft, which means I broke the antenna too many times that eventually I lost it, and I just shaved one from the sprue left. instructions are quite good, color booklet. The seat has photo-etch harness, and I had thought of leaving the canopy open. But the middle piece couldn't be placed on top of the rear piece without being too far up above. 

I really like how these tamiya colors turned out. I also tried the sausage masking technique for the camouflage. Due to me having a thicker paint than ideal, it resulted in some pooling at some of the edges. 

On the matter of markings and camouflage, it was discussed in another thread but I was hesitating whether to paint the yellow strip on the front edges of the wings. The AMO regarding new camo colors in ocean grey (among others, (sky fuselage band and spinner)) was later (July 1942) than what Revell said this plane was (April 1942). But yes they have been doing tests on these new camouflage colors since Aug 1941. So some squadrons have already painted them in this color, but the yellow strip was only mentioned in the Memo, hence they weren't on the plane. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Interesting to see this kit built. I built one back in 1978! I think Revell got the windshield a little too vertical, and they missed the Coffman starter bulge on the nose. Still looks like a Spitfire though. You managed tighter curves on the camouflage than I have in 1/48 scale. Well done.

Wlad

46 minutes ago, Wlad said:

Interesting to see this kit built. I built one back in 1978! I think Revell got the windshield a little too vertical, and they missed the Coffman starter bulge on the nose. Still looks like a Spitfire though. You managed tighter curves on the camouflage than I have in 1/48 scale. Well done.

Wlad

They provided two windshields, i read somewhere that part 27 should be the correct one based on actual photo. 

im not too sure, I thought the coffman blister is the one on the front below the cowling? 

spacer.png

I don't remember a separate part for the Coffman starter, so it may be a different kit than the one I built way back then. It's the tear drop shaped blister on the right side, below and in front of the exhausts, just behind the propeller spinner.

Cheers,

Wlad