Sea Harrier FRS-1 1/24th scale.

With today being the anniversary of the recapture of the Falkland Islands, I thought I would post up my Sea Harrier.

The Airfix 24th scale Harrier has been around since the early seventies.

It was re-issued with new parts to allow it to be built as the FRS-1.

For it's Size it is a basic kit, with basic detail in the cockpit, and other detail sacrificed for working features.

I decided to have a go at updating my model.

I got hold of Flightline's extensive etched set plus some resin parts from Heritage aviation.

Heritage aviation's stuff was a big disappointment!

Poor casting finish, rough surfaces, air bubbles and the mould were obviously past their best.

The Intakes and wheels were all I used.

The rest of the details were scratch built.

I completely scratch built the ejector seat and I used the 2D etched part on the airwaves set for the nose undercarriage plumbing to make a 3D version from plastic card, rod and lead wire.

The model was painted with Xtracolor enamels and the decals are the kits, representing a machine from 899 squadron which had been involved in three shoot downs during the conflict.

SeaH00.jpg

SeaH08.jpg

SeaH10.jpg

SeaH3.jpg

SeaH5.jpg

SeaH7.jpg

SeaH06.jpg

SeaH02.jpg

SeaH05.jpg

SeaH15.jpg

SeaH14.jpg

SeaH11.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Angelo :)

• Like 55
  • Thanks 1

That big bird looks like the real thing!

Congratulations

I can't imagine what it's like to tackle something in 1/24 

Very impressed!

• Like 1

Simply superb....well done!

I have the 1/24 GR3 in the stash, which as you may know is absolutely plastered with superfluous rivets. Does the Sea Harrier suffer from the same issue? I can't see them on your model so I'd be interested to know what you did to remove them, specifically which filler did you use, assuming you used one of course.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, t15dja said:

I can't see them on your model so I'd be interested to know what you did to remove them, specifically which filler did you use, assuming you used one of course.

The "rivets" are still there, but not on the new nose, Airfix didn't plaster them over that

I tried a couple of coats of Mr Surfacer to try and hide them, but it didn't totally cover them totally so they are still there though not as prominent,.

Thank you all very much for all your comments and compliments, they are greatly appreciated :)

I'm not a jet man, but I can really appreciate the work that you would have put into this one - impressive.

Regards

Dave

• Like 1

What a fantastic model. I’ve built this kit myself and can appreciate the amount of work you’ve done to get it looking this good!

I’ve just finished reading Harrier 809 by Rowland White - it’s a fantastic book covering the Falklands and the reforming and deployment of 809 Squadron. Well worth a read if you’re interested in the conflict. 

Tom

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

Is this the A/c Sharky Ward flew?

I believe Sharky Ward flew with 801Sqdn and this is an 899Sqdn machine.

Again, thank you all very much for your comments, greatly appreciated :)

• Thanks 1

Not normally a jet man but that is a superb job (unbelievable detail in the "office")!

Not sure how I'd cope with 1/24th scale.  At 5'5", I could probably get in it!

Thanks for sharing 

Best regards 

Peter 

• Like 1