Old school Badger 150 - pot feed issue

Vapouriser

Morning all :) 

About 2 months ago a very nice acquaintance started me off on my airbrush journey by giving me his old AB setup - totally unexpected and without any ‘warning’
I had only recently met this chap and I am still genuinely touched by the act of generosity. He is a fellow modeller but not sure if he is a member, but in the incredibly unlikely probability he is and that you stumble over this post Gordon - thank you again :) 

Fast forward a bit and I have been fully bitten and bought some new bits to add on. However this question is about the Badger 150 he gave me.

It’s a bottom fed brush and it came with a chrome topped ‘lid’ with feeder pipe, a glass jar and a metal cup. 
The metal cup is the 7ml one and that feeds well. The problem comes when I try using the jar and the metal lid as the feed just spits and sputters. 
So I ordered a couple of HC-BA50208 Badger 33mm Fast Blast jar adaptors, but I’m not sure how to use them ? The tails are too long for the glass jar and I struggled to get the pipe to fit into the airbrush connection. 
Any tips would be greatly appreciated, as when it is running with the metal paint cup it sprays well !!

This is my Badger 150 IL. Bought it in the late 80's but have only really used it a few times, a couple years ago.

30939782028_be637c0f31_b.jpg

I have only used the small metal cup and the smaller glass jar. Both worked fine. I wonder if your plastic tube that runs from the metal cap to the bottom of the jar is connected tight enough into the cap?

50181276116_ff7ea800a0_b.jpg

Chris

• Like 1

Chris - thank You for going to all that effort 👍🏻- much appreciated.

I tried using it again tonight and I’m still struggling with flow. The jar and tube just doesn’t pull and the cup is either ‘on’ or ‘off’ 

My cup is just like the one you have at the left of your second image and my lid is the same as the lid in the second image at the top - just more used !! 

To add - I spray very well thinned  (between 60 and 70 percent thinner with alcohol based paints) and with 

Tamiya Acrylic

Mr Hobby Aqueous 

AK Real Color

Vallejo Metal 

in that order of frequency. 

Edited by Vapouriser

I would try upping the pressure.

Unlike the gravity fed airbrushes the bottom syphon fed brushes need a bit of "oompffff" to to create enough low pressure lift the paint up the tube and into the nozzle.

• Like 1

When I used mine, with Tamiya paint, thinned at about 45% paint, 55% X20A thinner with a few drops of Retarder, the pressure on my compressor gauge was around 12-15 psi.

I also used Gunze-Sangyo and Mr. Color Leveling Thinner at about the same ratio. Both sprayed fine. I know I used the small jar for either the Tamiya Flat Aluminum on the underside of the Hurricane or for the top side Dark Earth. I can't remember which.

Why your's is sputtering I cannot say, as my experience is very limited. Hopefully, others will know more.

Chris

• Like 1

Based on the above it very much sounds like an upping of the pressure is perhaps required. It’s actually my birthday as well and I think that the birthday fairy is buying me a new toy - so I could try with that 😜 

• Like 1

Also with the jars check that the air hole is clear.  If it is blocked you shouldn’t get any paint through but if it is partially obscured it may spray problematically.

Cheers,

Nigel