Dutch Red Lancer

• 3 weeks later...

Cheers lads. The way I approach horses has changed over time. Early on was was given this advice:

Ā 

Lots of modellers prefer to use oil paints due to their richness and that they dry with a slight sheen, but this is not essential and acrylic paints are just as useful.

On large-scale horses a series of dry brushes can give an effective result. Start with an undercoat to the horse with the appropriate colour. Paint the base coat, putting down the brush-stokes in the direction of the hair growth.

A realistic effect can be achieved with an airbrush. I tend to use three or four shades, starting with the lightest on the horseā€™s belly, ribs, neck, head, and legs. I work towards the darkest shades on the haunches, tail and mane. Of course, you should select the colours that look most realistic to your eye, and this will vary for blacks, chestnuts, bays and greys or even piebald and other horse colourings depending upon your choice.

Horses are rarely uniform in colour - basically the undercoat is lighter and the upper is obviously darker and richer. Any distinctive markings like a blaze on the face or socks are added after the basic colours. Hoofs with white socks should be light greyish-yellow, whereas un-socked ones should be dark grey or brown. Hardly any white should be seen in the eyes. Muzzle skin is hairless, as are the lips and nostrils, and pinkish grey is suitable.

Ā 

I started with oils, and while the long drying time allowed much manipulation, I found it tedious. When I switched to acrylics I'd lay down an undercoat, then dry brush over it. Nowadays I airbrush three or four shades to get the tonal variations.

• Like 2

This looks very good indeed to me. As previous posters have said, the horse's colours look very convincing and life-like (the figure is eye-catching, too). As it's often said, if you can paint a figure well, you can paint just about anything.Ā 

Ā 

Thanks for sharing with us.

Ā 

Cheers.Ā 

Ā 

Chris.Ā Ā 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, spruecutter96 said:

This looks very good indeed to me. As previous posters have said, the horse's colours look very convincing and life-like (the figure is eye-catching, too). As it's often said, if you can paint a figure well, you can paint just about anything.Ā 

Ā 

Thanks for sharing with us.

Thanks very much ChrisĀ :D

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Nicely done on that Ratch, the angles on the lance have got me a bit mystified, is his right arm movable? it is not obvious looking at it.

Steve.

Thank you too Steve. The arms are poseable (not moveable) and this one has two right arms to position the lance differently.

• Like 2

Looks really niceĀ  addedĀ  by the baseĀ  - love the coloursĀ  in it, and I agreeĀ  with the othersĀ  - the horse'sĀ  shadesĀ  and colours lookĀ  bang on.

Ā 

Erk.

• Thanks 1

Just saw this. Very nice it is too. An Airfix Polish Lancer conversion if I'mĀ  not mistaken. The horse is nicely done. It's a real art to paint horses. The AirfixĀ  horses wereĀ  always better than Historex horses.Ā 

Ā 

The Airfix kits always lent themselves to conversions. I modified one PolishĀ  lancer kit into a WW1 German Uhlan complete wit gas mask.

Ā 

Nicely done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1