Hello

Toxophilos

In my late 70s and getting back to modelling after a loooooong layoff.  Thinking of starting with plastic - it's changed a lot since my early days.  I'm going to sit in the background for a while and soak up 'the knowledge' - new (to me) stuff like add-on wooden decks and photo edge component parts look fascinating - paints have evolved as well. 

You have some outstanding modellers contributing to the forums here - so, thanks guys, your kindness in sharing what you know is going to be well appreciated.

Grateful thanks to all.

• Like 1

Welcome aboard. You do indeed have a lot of catching up to do, but, as you say, The knowledge is here and it's freely available.

Feel free to ask questions as it's common to abbreviate product names on here, 'Extra thin' refers to a Tamiya glue, for example.

Dig in and enjoy yourself. Buy some 'cheap mule' models to practice on from ebay before you go for the expensive stuff.

Cheers, Pete

Late seventies ? , welcome from an eighty- seven year old , still modelling , still asking questions .

Don .

• Like 2

Welcome indeed to the site! I'm afraid I'm not much help if you build ships, but if you ever wish to know about Soviet aircraft, I know a bit.

Best Regards,

Jason

Gidday and welcome aboard. You and Don make me feel very young, at a mere 65 (and 1/2 🙂). Your wording of your opening post would suggest to me you're into model ships. Me too but mine are mainly Airfix 1/600 kits, not as detailed as many others but they suit my limited skill and budget (also limited 😥).

Since you've had a long break from modeling I think Pete's idea is a good one, start cheap for practice. (Having said that, quite a few have said - "This is my first ever ship model..." - and turn out museum quality models. Don't worry, there's no chance of me doing that).

This is a rather long-winded way of saying "Hello". Regards, Jeff.