White metal ejector seats ID wanted (sorted... ish!)

AlexB

Hello all! 

I have acquired a small number of white metal ejection seats in 1/72nd, second hand. I believe they're a 1960s/70s Martin Baker design, but can't quite figure out which model.

spacer.png

Any idea?

Ta very much!

Edit: As of 17th June '22 we have an idea what these are, probably one of the seemingly endless MB Mk.4 variants - would still like to know exactly what they are, but they'll suffice for improving ancient Frog/Airfix kits.

Edited by AlexB
update info

Cheers Chris!

I've got some resin seats for a Lightning in a box somewhere, but comparing photos they're close enough for me!

They'll pass as "good enough" for the Mk4, which was fitted in loads of other aircraft too, including;

·         Canberra

·         Hunter

·         Jaguar

·         Alpha Jet

·         Sea Venom

·         Lightning

·         Buccaneer

·         Jet Provost

·         Gnat

Thanks again

1 hour ago, AlexB said:

Cheers Chris!

I've got some resin seats for a Lightning in a box somewhere, but comparing photos they're close enough for me!

They'll pass as "good enough" for the Mk4, which was fitted in loads of other aircraft too, including;

·         Canberra

·         Hunter

·         Jaguar

·         Alpha Jet

·         Sea Venom

·         Lightning

·         Buccaneer

·         Jet Provost

·         Gnat

Thanks again

Bucc seat had canopy breakers on them as for the Jag that was a seat pan firing handle only also the jag had rocket assistance to.  

Edited by tweeky
additional info
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, tweeky said:

face screen firing handle (top handel0 is wrong for the Lightning. The Lightning seat was a double D type. 

34 minutes ago, tweeky said:

Bucc seat had canopy breakers on them as for the Jag that was a seat pan firing handle only also the jag had rocket assistance to.  

A few tweaks with a needle file, plastic strip, and some fuse wire will sort those little issues.

These will be used on some ancient Frog/Matchbox/Airfix kits - I recon no one will much notice under a 1970's kit fishbowl canopy 😂

They're a better representation than the rubbish seats that come in the old kits. 

Cheers All

23 minutes ago, AlexB said:

A few tweaks with a needle file, plastic strip, and some fuse wire will sort those little issues.

These will be used on some ancient Frog/Matchbox/Airfix kits - I recon no one will much notice under a 1970's kit fishbowl canopy 😂

They're a better representation than the rubbish seats that come in the old kits. 

Cheers All

I think you've just plucked various british 50's/60's jets out of the air. have a look at the Foland Gnat seat and see its nothing like the seat in question. 

26 minutes ago, tweeky said:

I think you've just plucked various british 50's/60's jets out of the air. have a look at the Foland Gnat seat and see its nothing like the seat in question. 

I just Googled what Mk.4s were fitted to, and got a much longer list. I distilled it to the things I'm interested in.

7 hours ago, Tony Edmundson said:

They are definitely NOT Aeroclub seats, but they do appear close to a Mk4BS seat

Tony

You're right Tony, not Aeroclub, should have checked my stash and not relied on poor interweb photo's. One or two of John's early seats were single part castings but EJ002 is 2 part.

The parts shown are close but not identical to those provided in some of the Maintrack prototype multi media kits (Supermarine 508 & 525 checked)

• Like 1

On 6/13/2022 at 5:07 PM, AlexB said:

Cheers Chris!

·        

·         Gnat

Thanks again

The Gnat had a Folland lightweight seat which IIRC was a development of a SAAB design. I have a dim recollection the Douglas and Vought lightweight seats as fitted to very early Skyhawks and Crusaders are also related to some extent.

23 hours ago, tweeky said:

face screen firing handle (top handel) is wrong for the Lightning. The Lightning seat was a double D type. 

I guess there's enough material in that firing ring to drill and file it to any desired shape, even Tour Eiffel ;-).

I have a couple of different Aeroclub seats, and I don't think @John Aero cast firing rings onto any of them. The Mk 2 (?) I just looked at that crews my Sea Hawk (or rather only the backrest of it) was cast in 2 parts, as all the others I can think of were.

• Like 1

• AlexB changed the title to White metal ejector seats ID wanted (sorted... ish!)