Revell 1:48 Tomcat

Stu73

Hi

I just got hold of a Revel 1:48 F-14 and it'll be a return for me to aircraft modelling.

I understand from online reviews that this isn't the best kit out there for this plane but that's okay, I once did three Airfix Concordes, so I must be a masochist!

Anyway I was wondering- does anyone know if there are vendors out there who may have aftermarket detailing parts for this kit? Anyone do any electronics for this build, like nav lights, cockpit/engine stuff etc?

Any help appreciated in advance.

Thanks

When kit comes to lighting-kits, it is MUCH cheaper to buy individual components from E-Bay, when compared to buying "off-the-shelf" kits from various suppliers. I'm making the assumption that you can use a soldering-iron, here. 

Hope this helps. 

Chris. 

Is this the original Revell kit or a rebox of the Monogram one ? Revell issued both at different times during the history of the brand

If it is the original Revell kit, then the answer is easy: nothing is available ! The kit was issued at a time when aftermarket wasn't really common and the kit was quickly superceded by better kits.

If it's the Monogram kit, then for sure True Details had a cockpit set for this kit and Steel Beach made a number of sets for various areas. Not sure how any of these may be available though..

When it comes to things like wheels  sets designed for other kits can be made to fit quite easily so no problem here, although the kit wheels are not bad at all. Seats designed for other kits may or not fit

I think I can just about manage to solder up some decent looking afterburner glow for the engines, was just wondering if there had been anything available. Also I might have a bash at fibre optics for the cockpit panels... As for the rest of the stuff, that would be a tad outside my skill level at present. Anyway, I shall check the sites against my kit number and see what's what.

Cheers!

7 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

Is this the original Revell kit or a rebox of the Monogram one ? Revell issued both at different times during the history of the brand

If it is the original Revell kit, then the answer is easy: nothing is available ! The kit was issued at a time when aftermarket wasn't really common and the kit was quickly superceded by better kits.

If it's the Monogram kit, then for sure True Details had a cockpit set for this kit and Steel Beach made a number of sets for various areas. Not sure how any of these may be available though..

When it comes to things like wheels  sets designed for other kits can be made to fit quite easily so no problem here, although the kit wheels are not bad at all. Seats designed for other kits may or not fit

Giorgio,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Revell-RV03865-Tomcat-Plastic-Unpainted/dp/B083YNYB22

This is the kit in question. No idea of was a monogram or not. 

5 hours ago, tempestfan said:

Supported by a pilot in typical Mono style and the (raised) surface detail visible in the linked pics.

Probably true, but I doubt the old Revell F-14 kits had recessed panel lines either.

G'day Stu,

Go to Scalemates as suggested as that will give you the kit origins as well as any related aftermarket and potentially some reviews and build links. It won't be of your particular boxing as it is clearly timed to take advantage of the recent movie but the plastic in the box has not changed.

In terms of aftermarket, most of the stuff available will be for more recent kits but you should be able to substitute some things like seats, wheels and weapons relatively easily though wheels may require modification to accept the kit undercarriage axles and the size of some resin seats may be too wide or too tall to fit and again these may require modification if you really want to go that way.

My experience of building Monogram kits was that they always had decent cockpit and undercarriage details including moulded on belts, but  if you are a crap cockpit painter and/or  just want to take the easy way out you could consider sanding off the raised cockpit details and using pre-painted etch or the newer 3D type decals. These would not be designed to suit the old Mono kit but for some reason I think that the Academy kit bears more than a passing resemblance to the Mono kit (but engraved) shapewise. If you were to look at the available AM for the Acad kit and compare cockpit panel shapes to your kit you may be able to make them fit. The Eduard site lets you preview their PE instructions.

Ref the sounds and lights, as suggested, buying the individual items is much cheaper but if you just want to throw money at a solution, consider looking at some sci-fi AM. They include complete kits, sometimes with pre-soldered connections. Again you may be able to adapt by cutting and re-soldering  wires to get the the length of wiring required but otherwise that may be an easier solution,

good luck,

Pappy