Academy F-86E Gabreski 1/72

So here's my 5th kit, part two of Academy's Gabreski kit, the F-86. Build was quick, but after that has been a bit of a mess.

1) I struggled with painting bright colors (chrome silver in this case), because each time i realise there are spots that still needed touch ups. In the end i put at least 7 full coats on it. I have since refined my method by using even thinner coats on my F5E. And results so far are good. 

2) As per the P47D earlier, a lot of panel lines were missed out, particularly on the slats and fuselage. And I suspect this is a scaled down model from larger kits because there were so many stencil decals. They are nice, but without the panel lines as reference points its hard to pin point the exact location for the decals. Generally good decals, I did mess up 3 though. i'm hopeless on long line decals. 

3) Instruction sheet called for the cockpit pressure regulator/ antenna piece (behind the seat) to be attached to the canopy and put onto it. It is impossible because the space reserved for that piece is actually inside the fuselage. I found out too late when I referred to another of their F86 kit instruction, that the piece needs to be put in place before joining the fuselage. 

4) It wont stand on its own! The engine part is hollow. So I had to "make the engine" by rolling up some copper wires and stuffed them inside. 

I was quite pleased that the kit has the option of air brakes in open condition. And they even pre cut the decals if we wanted to build it in open condition. But again like the P47D kit, the hardpoints should only be installed after decals. I was also originally a bit skeptical because I only had chrome silver instead of aluminum silver. But I saw the result from another post here in BM that I thought chrome silver looks ok too. And oh, one more final thought, I learned that the slats are actually more accurate for a Canadian Sabre. 

So thats how I fared for my first ever jet. hoping to get more advise from fellow forum members.. thanks 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 17