Revell 1/32 Tornado Gr.I: A Tribute to Dad

Here's the next entry for my back catalogue, this is a 2020 build and a fairly emotive one for me. My Dad passed away the year before and my Mum had passed me his RAF veterans pin to look after, I just needed a suitable home for it as I didn't feel right wearing it myself having never been in any of the services. So I decided that since it's Dad's "fault" I got into modelling, incorporating it into the hobby somewhere would make more sense. I've been having nameplates engraved for my models, so I decided to do an extra large one to fit the pin onto. Choice of model, well an RAF pin can't go on a ship or tank can it, so that narrowed it down. Dad never really had a "favourite" aircraft, but was more fond of those that were around when he was in the RAF, Tornado, Harrier, Jaguar, Bucaneer, Victor and of course the Vulcan being described most often when I was younger. Since I'm a 1/32 builder, that narrows things down more for me, kits only exist for two of those at the moment and the Tornado is one of the kits I remember of Dad's that goes back as far as I do (there's only a few in his collection that were built before I had any interest in them). So having the Revell Gr.I in the stash, I went with that - as the scheme is the same as Dad's version. I enjoyed building this one, Revell kits aren't always super detailed, but I've never struggled to build a good looking model out of them (at least not the newer moulds anyway). Hope you enjoy.

6lMU9RR33kor_8Hch9fpvJlYNqldQhrfdYejk8Io

yIJckjiMCdOlql_zEpX_jOhRcsQ9ah98wsGJ-QOO

_M5ij5HEGqhxEkd9oqZofY-CXlfoco7rX6Od_KYk

9KYLtDAH5BnBZZQJKujLWSTRKayBR9PfMRlKUTSd

TtejHWT9HhlywelZRt2wHV6zlPKX7UetLNkN5Btd

rudJdBqR3FLGXF-En_nsx9l-cAA4Dt44VGRpB18u

8zRtgXJJqMOnuGs9uFXa92dpcZzRHDLwRNdUDCwp

RpW_APEJne1GVBP3RTsf6b-Bu0CuDZeNWv5QMpFh

And the most important shot, with the nameplate and pin - apologies that the bottom line is a bit fuzzy, it lost it's clarity when I reduced the image size - it reads "For Dad and our shared hobby". I'll need to take another photo of it with it's little brother soon, Mum's packed away Dad's collection other than a few that are coming to live among mine, so I'll add a picture of the two together when it arrives.

tNMUNl-xB49loA32uAdJiWy__mFh2w-ApXnSE_l1

• Like 44
  • Thanks 1

The Tonka in wraparound camo is the aircraft which sparked my interest all those years ago, and it holds a very dear place in my heart due to that.  Your build is a cracker, and a fitting tribute you your Dad.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, binbrook87 said:

Very very nice indeed. A fitting tribute to your Dad. I bet that's a very large model in 1/32 scale?

Thanks all. And yes it's a good solid 60cm or so. Fills a shelf width very thoroughly 😄

• 3 weeks later...