Oldie 1/32 Revell F-4E in Euro 1, Spangdahlem 1985

Since a couple of guys are working on Phantoms, including me, I thought I'd post some photos of my old Revell 1/32 F-4E.  I completed this sometime around 1995, when I was living in Houston, Tx.  A guy I met just before I moved from Sacramento, CA in 1990 gave the kit to me when I told him that I used to fly the Phantom.  He had a garage full of the Revell 1/32nd kits, multiples of each.  

It's been sitting on my shelves, on display in all of my houses since then.  It's a good 6 footer so it usually sits on a high shelf to avoid close inspection and little kids.

The model depicts a jet from the 23rd TFS, 52nd TFW, Spangdahlem AB, Germany circa 1985.

1/32 F-4E 9

It carries a typical Wild Weasel training sortie loadout - 3 external tanks, the centerline being the old Royal Jet 600 Gal tank.  We had only just started using the McDonnell-Douglas "F-15" tanks and usually reserved those for jets configured for air-to-air training missions.  A Training AGM-45 Shrike on the right inboard and an empty TER on the left inboard.  We always carried the Shrike on the right side to counter some of the weight of the ALQ-131 ECM pod hung from the left forward missile well.  We didn't usually carry the AIM-9 rails on the inboard pylons for WW sorties, only for air-to-air, then maybe only one with a training AIM-9P, on the right pylon, inboard side.

This was a raised panel line kit, most of which were erased by filling and sanding.  (It was an old Revell kit.)  I redrew the major ones back on with a pencil.  I didn't know anything about rescribing back then.  I probably wouldn't have tried to anyway.  Again, it's a 6 footer.

1/32 F-4E 6

Both the 131 pod and the TAGM-45 are scratch built.  I know the 45 was a shortened AIM-7.  I think the body of the pod was balsa with thin sheet plastic panels.  The end caps were probably missile bodies and the underside housing was some reshaped piece of plastic.

1/32 F-4E 2

I added the ARN-101 external modifications such as the doghouse antenna on the fuselage spine, as well as the TISEO housing on the left wing.  (Another reason to carry the Shrike on the right side.)

1/32 F-4E 4

1/32 F-4E 1

In the close ups of the forward fuselage I tried to show how the paint would wear off, first to primer, then bare metal, on the covers to the kick steps and the ladder steps.  Also, the top edges of the left intake got worn down from the boot traffic.  The right side hardly at all.  All leading edges of the intakes, wings, pylons, and tanks were showing primer as the paint wore down from flying through rain and cloud.  One other wear area was just in front of the Air Refueling Door, on the spine behind the cockpit.  The door itself was usually pristine except for a little paint chipping on the leading edge.  But the tanker boomers would routinely knock the probe onto the jet in front of the door when trying to stab the receptacle.   We were on a night refueling once, it was a little rough (turbulence), and I could see sparks when the probe smacked the fuselage.  When we landed I looked to see if there was any damage and that little rod antenna just behind the aft canopy was hanging by the wires.  I don't remember what that antenna was for, but it didn't seem important.

I made a stencil for the shark mouth and it was hand painted with a brush.  The SP and tail numbers are from an old Micro Scale letters and numbers set.  The white shadowing on the SP is cut from a white decal sheet.  The 52nd TFW badge was drawn on with a sharpie pen.  Stencils were from the kit decal sheet.  Paints were probably Testors Model Master.  Don't remember if spray cans, airbrush, or both.  It's a big model in 1/32nd so I'm thinking it was spray can mostly.  I did use Gunship Gray 36118, rather than the correct Euro 1 Gray 36081, because at the time I thought Gunship Gray was correct.  It did look too light at the time, but age has darken it to look more correct.

Anyway, I hope you like it.  If you have any questions please ask.  

Edited by Mark V
Correct a typo
  • Like 39

Hi, I really like this paint scheme.  What a super model.  I especially like the chipping and wear marks on the outboard fuel tanks.
A 6' model !  What  does it weigh ?
I'm refurbishing a Spangdahlem F-4 at the moment, but it's a Fujimi in 1/72nd scale.

I'm encouraged to drag out an old Hasegawa F-4G Wild Weasel in 1/48th scale I bought a lifetime ago.

1 minute ago, WhiskySierraKilo said:

A 6' model !  What  does it weigh ?

I think what he's trying to say is that the model is best viewed from 6 feet away, much as I refer to most of my models as two footers. In truth, the model looks quite good close up, all the more impressive as it's an old kit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That is amazing but the scale scares me a bit!! 🤪

Got an old 1/48 Revell kit from back in the day that I'll have a crack at some time

You have inspired me! 

Love what you've achieved from the old Revell kit. Great details and 'modern'isation from scratch. Superbly done paintjob as well 👏👏👏

And c'mon be kind to yourself, it's at least a 3-footer 😄👍

Alan

• 2 weeks later...