Whats the inside colour of schurzen?

Doggy

Hi. This has been discussed many times, a quick Google search will get you discussions on various armour modelling sites. I would say there’s nothing conclusive.

I do however have a link to some schurzen from a Stug, showing both sides. Perhaps it can help you make a choice.

https://relicsww2.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1648

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I suspect the answer is both, at different times.  Early in the use of Schurzen I can see the inside faces being painted.  Later on I can see them being left primed, noting the change in factory painting instructions to apply the camouflage colours directly to primer rather than over Dunkelgelb.

It would help to know the vehicle.  PzIII and StugIII I can see being painted inside as their production stopped relatively early.  Likewise Krupp and VOMAG PzIVs.  Nibelungen PzIVs perhaps started painted but ended up primed.  Stug IVs I can see being always just primed inside.  Then of course there is the question of whether it is an older vehicle re-fitted with some new or scavenged Schurzen, or vice-versa.

From the aerial reconnaissance or target-spotting perspective, leaving the insides of Schurzen in primer would further darken an area already in shadow.

• Like 1

Early production PzIV H like that were almost certainly still painted on the inside.

Yes in that time period the camouflage was still crew-applied, assuming they got the paint paste to do so.  Crews hardly ever received the spray guns so painting would be by hand unless done at a workshop where there was spray equipment.

Later in the war - Ausf J timeline in PzIV terms - camouflage became factory-applied.  In theory but not necessarily in practice or universally.  At that time overall painting in dunkelgelb was discontinued in favour of painting the 3 colours directly onto primer.

• Like 1