2 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Just had a big catch up on this, rather pleased now I have the Hase kit in stock, but impressed with the job you're doing on this one. Carry on. :D

Steve.

Would like to see how the Hasegawa kit scrubs up! šŸ˜‰

27 minutes ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

Would like to see how the Hasegawa kit scrubs up! šŸ˜‰

It won't be this GB unfortunately, I still have a F-104 to wrangle into shape that I've committed to. We get back home tomorrow & I'll need to get A into G after that, one to finish for the Turning Japanese GB, the F-104 & possibly a CF-100 for the CanuckianĀ  GB. :(

SteveĀ 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

Hope you were hard at work taking loads of fine departure pics!

I was, mate. :)Ā It was rather warm that day, of course ;)

Last day of the holiday before I return to work. Found all the usual excuses not to get out in the sunshine so cracked on with the Voodoo.

Was looking at my Revell 1/72 F-101B & some of the details are pretty accurate. So I came to the etched undercarriage doors in the Valom kit. These do need sheet plastic to bring them up to thickness scale & the front doors are just sheet etch with some detail. The Revell kit represents these small details really well so I thought I would replicate them.

52237580532_8f57afe4d4_h.jpg

Here's a cheeky b&w pic of the nose gear bay doors.

52238571723_689b74eded_h.jpg

Used the photo etch folding tool on some thin sheet plastic.

52238849089_0979e91bd2_h.jpg

Completed.

52238571638_497ebdee3b_h.jpg

52237580742_694e13dad7_h.jpg

Decided to go with grey primer & some parts have already recieved paint. Cockpit - FS26231 then Zinc chromate green for the wheel bays & red for the inside of all the doors.

52238571578_eaf319c840_h.jpg

52239054035_258cea7f29_h.jpg

Might be a bit fool hardy to some, but I've also added the undercarriage. This has been my preferred method for the past couple of years when building & painting.

Also added some etch & scratch detail to the nose gear. What looks like telescopic sway braces attached to the scizzor link, which I've added.

52238623178_12dc083423_h.jpg

52238848959_b86151eb92_h.jpg

52237580612_0b11b34cb7_h.jpg

52237580612_0b11b34cb7_h.jpg

52239053865_76d829fa51_h.jpg

That's it for this evening.

• Like 9

Fell down this way for no particular reason and stumbled across one your builds Martin, not a common sight as far as I can tell. Looks like you're knocking this bird into submission. As for fitting her 'pins', madness, too many cons and not enough pros for me. I take it you have CA'd those pics to the parts? Might be done for comp night...?

Ā 

Stuart

Ā 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Fell down this way for no particular reason and stumbled across one your builds Martin, not a common sight as far as I can tell. Looks like you're knocking this bird into submission. As for fitting her 'pins', madness, too many cons and not enough pros for me. I take it you have CA'd those pics to the parts? Might be done for comp night...?

Ā 

Stuart

Ā 

Hi Stuart, you fell down this way, makes this sound like the dank cellar of britmodeller! Yes pretty uncommon for me & it's the plan to try & keep up my appearances on BM! As for the pins, theyve been glued with just tamiya cement. I've found with things like that with superglue they tend to have a far more brittle bond than ornary glue & are more likely to get knocked off. If anything gets knocked off i'll just drill & pin! It might well be finished for comp night which is.....erm....August the 10th - my birthday of all the days!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Really nice work Martin, You are doing an absolutely fantastic job on turning this kit into a superb model of the Voodoo, it really is top work mate.šŸ‘

Ā 

šŸ‡ŗšŸ‡¦

Ah, many thanks mate! This is quite a special subject for me as it's a USAFE jet based in Suffolk & I'm Suffolk born & bred, so I'm pushing the boat out on this one a little more than usual.

• Like 2

I agree with the others, this is very nice work, Martin

Ā 

Martin

1 hour ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

Would like to see your pics all the same!

Iā€™ll try to post some tomorrow :)

• Like 1

Just a few more steps done.

Wing fences added, old Hasegawa canopy seperated, glued & blended into the fuselage.

52246070544_d2156d944c_h.jpg

Some black primer to reflect the inside of the canopy before adding paint.

Also added the Valom cockpit decals which look pretty good I think.

52244810487_7b01c9edbf_h.jpg

Just one more coat of grey primer & thats it today.

52245783931_c41a33f999_h.jpg

• Like 7

Finally got some metal paint on. I was undecided for a long time as to wether to apply a light shade of aluminium alclad as I have applied it in the past to my Lightning, but this time I've gone for the Vallejo Metal Color White Aluminium.

I will mask up the exhaust area with the darker metal colours & knock back & mask up for the slightly darker aluminium areas especially around the airbrakes. There's plenty of panel areas that have a darker shade of aluminium. Will wait a day for this coat to properly dry before applying masking.

52246899333_21a8c4ba5f_h.jpg

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Looks really good Martin, a lovely smooth coat.

I find applying a coat of varnish and using tape with a lot of the stickiness removed helps to prevent the paint lifting in the masking process.

Ā 

šŸ‡ŗšŸ‡¦

I might actually do that, add a gloss tonight when I finish work.

• Like 1

Good to be working on a subject where I sort of know what I'm doing! šŸ˜‰

After some extensive masking I've added the aluminium coat. Playing safe all with Vallejo Metals.

I might still mask & tone down a few panels with a mist of white aluminium.

52254846504_ecac3bdd85_h.jpg

52254846769_813d2eda4e_h.jpg

52254580513_480dd34eaa_h.jpg

Also given it the matt black radar cone.

52255058915_6a54e3b64b_h.jpg

Ā 

• Like 6

Not much modelling done this week, just a few small steps on the Voodoo.

Wheels are now painted, as are the exhaust burner cans.

All just little bits to do.

I've started to apply a few decals, going with the Microscale decals for the individual airframe markings & a few bits from the Valom sheet here & there.

Seems that the microscale decals need a little more softener to help them settle into the surface delail.

I was thinking of masking the grey area at the wing root but then thought too much hassle. I am going to mask & paint the wing tip colors instead of using the Microscale decals as they do not fit this kit, so that's the next thing to do. White then the red yellow blue stripes. I've mixed up a blue that matches the blue on the tail markings.

Can't see this being done in time for our club competition night this wednesday! Ho hum, but got to make the most of this summer weather while I can!

52270505833_a1ddcc8f04_h.jpg

52270484766_2c64e7b926_h.jpg

52270751534_37c7e4ebc6_h.jpg

Ā 

On 8/6/2022 at 11:32 PM, Dansk said:

wow this looks spectacular!Ā šŸ¤©

Cheers Paul!

Ā 

Martin

• Like 4

She is starting to look pretty, Martin. On my Voodoos I did paint the wing walkways because the decals didnā€™t conform well. I then used black decal strip to edge it. Somehow youā€™ve worked your magic and got them to look great! :). Iā€™ve looking forward to this one being done :).

Ā 

Martin

• Like 1

She's looking fantastic Martin, and very colourful too.

I really like the various metallic shades, that has worked very well indeed, and good to know that the old Microscale decals have worked well too.

This is going to look stunning when you have finished her.

Ā 

šŸ‡ŗšŸ‡¦

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

She is starting to look pretty, Martin. On my Voodoos I did paint the wing walkways because the decals didnā€™t conform well. I then used black decal strip to edge it. Somehow youā€™ve worked your magic and got them to look great! :). Iā€™ve looking forward to this one being done :).

Ā 

Martin

Thanks Martin, these went on pretty well surprisingly. They will need some weathering to tone them down a bit.Ā 

Wish I had more time to get into it & get it finished. Hope to pop up to the big H Wednesday when I'm off & get some bits including some ladders for it.Ā 

• Like 1