Hello Martin

Itβ€˜s been very interesting so far to watch you put this thing together! Very nice work, I am looking forward to more of it. πŸ‘πŸ½
Β 

Sam

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sam said:

Hello Martin

Itβ€˜s been very interesting so far to watch you put this thing together! Very nice work, I am looking forward to more of it. πŸ‘πŸ½
Β 

Sam

Thanks Sam. Really wanted one of these in my collection so hopefully try best with it.

Β 

MartinΒ 

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/25/2022 at 8:23 AM, RidgeRunner said:

Martin @Lightningboy2000, I meant to say that the Valom kit benefits from replacing the wing fences with card. Sorry. Great work on the jet pipes, by the way.Β 

Β 

Martin

Thanks Martin, back on the modelling wagon after a few days stint taking pics of real jets! πŸ˜‰

I really can't understand why Valom didn't include a few strips of plastic on the sprues for the wing fences??? Just this afternoon been cutting some out of plasticard for it.

On 6/25/2022 at 9:07 AM, modelling minion said:

Very nice work Martin, and thanks for sharing the pictures which show very clearly what to do for those of us that want to achieve an accurate A model Voodoo.

Β 

πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡¦

More pics coming shortly. Just been off work holiday for a fortnight, finally found one day to do something to the Voodoo.

After two weeks off work doing anything but modelling, mostly trying to find an excuse to enjoy this country & enjoying the mediterrainian sun. Actually still managed not to get sunburned, really surprised myself with that!

Anyway excuses not to enjoy the great outdoors today led to a return to the Voodoo.

Stage one from where I was last time..

glued the nose cone halves together & added some lead strip, roughly 15/20 grams ish. Packed in with the usual bluetac.

52235025430_d16e1887b7_h.jpg

Missed taking a photo but glued some sprue into the inside of the nose to help keep the nose weight in place, especially when the blutac eventually goes hard.

I then focused on the instrument panel. So, when you place the coaming over the top, you find that the IP is too tall or that the coaming doesn't sit flat against the surrounding fuselage. So I added some depth to the coaming (part 19) so that it sits properly. Also before glueing the coaming in place make sure that the IP is sitting centrally otherwise everything will set the clear windsreen skewiff. So I had to detach the IP & centralise it.

52235025405_f0ae85b254_h.jpg

52234542741_da6ac12182_h.jpg

Dry test of the canopy. Will be posing the canopy open, so the two halves are shown in this photo.

Note that the front end of the canopy where it meets the nose is completely wrong as the side windows should blend into the nose, especially at the front edge of the windscreeen.

That might have to be filled & faired in at a later stage. The old Hasegawa kit shows this correctly with the front canopy.

52234542721_638c5499fe_h.jpg

Drilled out the gun ports then after studying photos made the correct placement either side.

52234550918_ef971a941c_h.jpg

Gave up looking for underside photos of the A/C single seat version as I was looking for images of wether the glass panels were in place & to aid the rescribing. Glass camera panels have been glued in place & now sit flush. These will not be masked.

52234542666_42213544fd_h.jpg

Done rescribing.

52235025230_02fa1a89ae_h.jpg

All sanded & cleaned up & showing the coaming with it's minor adjustments. Sits well under the canopy windscreen.

52233557232_df44b4e312_h.jpg

Re scribed & cleaned up the re-enforced exhaust area.

52234550778_a8b6ab82d2_h.jpg

One of the wing fences. Really rediculous that these couldn't have been represented on the kit sprues!

52234550753_3f49259c4a_h.jpg

That's it for now, hopefully some time this weekend I'll have all the necessary parts attached then the primer will be applied.

Β 

Thanks for looking!

Martin

• Like 5

3 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Really nice work Martin, you have brought her on very nicely.

You are doing a good job of pointing out and dealing with the issues there are with this kit, including the missing wing fences, a very strange omission.

Β 

πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡¦

Strange kit with its inaccuracies considering everything, cost of the kit etc. I'm now even thinking of replacing the canopy with the Hasegawa part. My placid patience is starting to get stretched with this kit! πŸ€ͺ

I will eventually beat it into submission!

• Like 1

Canopy windscreen challenge!

I will be correcting this.

The actual thing...

52236045989_639fead45a_h.jpg

The Valom canopy...

52235764096_c66a91a26c_h.jpg

The Hasegawa canopy. It would have been easier to build the Hasegawa kit with the Airwaves resin nose!

52235778618_1382d4be84_h.jpg

I'll just be using the front half of the Hasegawa canopy.

Β 

• Like 2

Hmmm, that front canopy doesn't look right at all does it Martin, the way it joins the fuselage (and the contours ofΒ  the forward fuselage) just look wrong to me. Will be interested to see how your fair the Hasegawa canopy into the Valom fuselage.

Is that a Hasegawa kit in the background I can see?

Β 

πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡¦

• Like 1

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

Hmmm, that front canopy doesn't look right at all does it Martin, the way it joins the fuselage (and the contours ofΒ  the forward fuselage) just look wrong to me. Will be interested to see how your fair the Hasegawa canopy into the Valom fuselage.

Is that a Hasegawa kit in the background I can see?

Β 

πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡¦

That is the old Hasegawa kit in nice old fashioned hard green plastic!πŸ˜‰

Done the carving.

Hasegawa canopy sitting pretty.

52236482990_5527c82840_h.jpg

This is how the carved recess looks.

52236275994_eb705535da_h.jpg

Mostly carved & fettled with these three tools.

52235994776_f26ecbe600_h.jpg

Β 

Now all I've got to do is split the Hasegawa canopy, will still use the Valom main section.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Very nice work Michael, you've improved the look of the forward canopy fit no end.

Β 

πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡¦

Thanks Tarquin, & the names Martin, but thats all right. Just for this evening I'll tell the visiting inlaws I've just changed my name by deed poll! πŸ˜†

Yep, some therapeutic carving has resulted in a more accurate canopy.

Cheers Minion!

Michael, formerly known as Martin.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Sorry Martin, not having a very good day today, very tired and its clearly affected the noggin a bit.

Β 

πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡¦

Funny enough I've been feeling the same today. Had to pop into town where the hordes of eejuts gather en masse & I very nearly lost all sense of sanity. Thankfully we have an oasis of calm called The Model Junction! Was glad to get back to voodoo fettling this afternoon!

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

Oh yes, Friday to Sunday. Too much jet excitement & now getting withdrawal symptoms! πŸ˜†

Ah ha! I was there on Monday :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

Ah, you have them too then. I have come to refer to such gatherings as "mong-regations", I believe they "mong-regate" like this all around the world.

Β 

πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡¦

Mongregate! 🀣 Perfect! That needs to be added to the Oxford dictionary unless it's already in there! Reminds me of the Bergens in the Trolls movie!

Β 

• Haha 1