It's been a while since my last attempt at the Valom Voodoo. Had an absolute disaster with my attempts at applying Alclad & it ended up being binned, so here's my second attempt. Hopefully I can complete this pig of a kit without it going earth bound!

Included in the box is some remnants from the other binned kit. A painted resin seat & the modified exhausts that had the extended tubing.

If i remember rightly I've got to modify the tail fin.

52141511168_8b2465d143_h.jpg

The older kit had a horrible light brown plastic which seemed quite brittle & didn't respond to plastic cement that well, unlike this example which comes in the pretty normal grey plastic.

Assembled the basic cockpit which I'll just paint up & add the adequate cockpit decals. The width of the cockpit tub isn't quite wide enough but seems pretty solid once in location. Some plasticard used as spacers between the wheel bay roof & the floor keep everything in place.

52141978100_39380524b4_h.jpg

52141728814_8b6f7b7692_h.jpg

Had to add this block of plastic to keep the IP upright. There's no location points anywhere on this kit which keeps you dry fitting everything.

Built up the wing section including the wheel bays which went together OK, but when marrying up to the fuselage, you have to make sure the wheel bay side walls don't interfere with the fuselage as everything's butt joined.

Not looking forward to joining it all up!

52140476927_2898eddfa5_h.jpg

52141501841_be7eb7f896_h.jpg

That's that with the Voodoo whilst I recover some sanity!

Thanks for looking

Martin

• Like 8

Welcome to the GB Martin, very happy to have another Voodoo in the GB, especially as you're building one from Bentwaters.

I know that this kit has caused modellers a few headaches but I have also seen some outstanding models made from it.

You have made a great start already and I am looking forward to seeing the rest of the build.

🇺🇦

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Welcome to the GB Martin, very happy to have another Voodoo in the GB, especially as you're building one from Bentwaters.

I know that this kit has caused modellers a few headaches but I have also seen some outstanding models made from it.

You have made a great start already and I am looking forward to seeing the rest of the build.

🇺🇦

Thanks mate, just always wanted to have one of these from Bentwaters birds in my collection. I eventually beat the last model into submission about five years ago but the alclad decided to completely come away from the primer. So I attempted to strip the primer off which failed catastrophically! 

I did successfully paint a Lightning with alclad so hopefully this attempt will go well. Hopefully I'll get some extra guidance on an as accurate paint rendition as I can manage.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

Yes, very nice to see you here, Martin. Good luck with it! :)

Cheers Martin, I think the build will go OK. I'm just hoping the painting stage will go ok.

Wheel bay wall will catch on fuselage, so top of wing won't contact the fuselage side. This will need to be sanded back. Main fuselage will need a spreader bar to widen & make contact with the wing.

52142480310_8494c0175f_h.jpg

Plastic filler added to outside of wing joints as it's a stronger filler.

52140970032_6abe115512_h.jpg

Used perfect plastic putty to smooth off the inside of the intake wall. Still need to insert the resin engine ducts.

52141994066_dad9bf078a_h.jpg

Plastic reinforcement plate glued inside the flat underside of one half. This will make for a strong joint & act as a tab for the wing underside.

52142011823_93364da1ed_h.jpg

• Like 9

11 hours ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

Wheel bay wall will catch on fuselage, so top of wing won't contact the fuselage side. This will need to be sanded back. Main fuselage will need a spreader bar to widen & make contact with the wing.

As I remember, Martin, the fuselage part sits on the wheel bay wall. My memory could be wrong, though!

12 minutes ago, Dansk said:

This pos kit requires a proper good modelmaker and you're the man, showing it who's boss Martin.
Great modelling.

Haha, that still remains to be seen! Now I'm under scrutiny I think I better up my game. Oh & it is a pos! 💩 Should have re-scribed the old Hasegawa kit, would have been easier. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, RidgeRunner said:

Paul @Dansk and Martin @Lightningboy2000, I wouldn’t be so hard on that poor kit. Certainly I trashed one along the way but that was my fault and slipping modelling. It will build up to being a nice model :)

Martin

The power of positivity! Yeah! I will win this time!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Back to the Voodoo.

Started off this afternoon with inserting the resin "handed" intakes. These have the injection plastic engine compressor faces attached. Will blast some paint down the orifices once everything is fixed together. Even shining a lamp down it & even I can't see them.

52166308971_c0fd1e4c0b_h.jpg

Both of the etched intake splitter plates are the same size, but for some reason the left hand one wasn't tall enough to touch the ceiling of the intake so I cut out another from thin sheet plasticard.

52166544464_8f70ecae03_h.jpg

Cockpit isn't quite wide enough to fit, so added some plasticard to help it touch the fuselage side.

52166298611_9eaf70a3d4_h.jpg

I found that this helped perfectly with the wing topsides butting up to the fuselage. 32.5mm wooden spreader bar superglued in. I actually lined it up with the double panel lines that go across the top of the fuselage fuselage strengthening panel? Also added a length of sprue to strengthen the spine joint.

52166780235_6151a0bff4_h.jpg

Had to be extra careful to line the fuselage top halves together so as not to get a step. Note, with spreader bar in place, the tops of the wings touch the fuselage. Probably the trickiest part of the kit.

52166300493_0b842ca2f5_h.jpg

52166300473_6615c0fb57_h.jpg

Taped wrapped & beaten into submission!

52165271282_04f7e0e300_h.jpg

The plate plasticard inside the front fuselage was essential to both hold each half level & for the wing section to sit against.

52166298561_dbeb6fb865_h.jpg

That's the first major stage of Valom Voodoo madness completed, next stage will be cleaning up & loads of filling to make that spine joint invisible!

I've had enough of that for one day!

• Like 10

Hi Martin, your latest post is a very familiar tale. The kit is ill-fitting, driving frustration, but eventually builds in to good representation of the One-O-Wonder. Keep going,  you are doing well with her :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Hi Martin, your latest post is a very familiar tale. The kit is ill-fitting, driving frustration, but eventually builds in to good representation of the One-O-Wonder. Keep going,  you are doing well with her :)

Thanks Martin, seems to be going together better than my last binned attempt!

3 hours ago, modelling minion said:

I have to say Martin that I think you're doing a fantastic job on this kit, there are fit issues with it but I have seen some excellent models built from it and I am in no doubt that yours will be just as good.

🇺🇦

Cheers modelling minion! 😊

The main issue for me will be getting the metal painting right. I might go down the alclad route like with my Lightning from a couple of years ago or it will be the easy option of Vallejo Metal paints. My previous attempt at alclad on a voodoo ended up in total disaster!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

Cheers modelling minion! 😊

The main issue for me will be getting the metal painting right. I might go down the alclad route like with my Lightning from a couple of years ago or it will be the easy option of Vallejo Metal paints. My previous attempt at alclad on a voodoo ended up in total disaster!

I've just used Vallejo metal paints on my F-100 (pics to follow soon) and am very happy with the results, and no nasty smells either, apart from my own and the dog's that is.😁

🇺🇦

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

I've just used Vallejo metal paints on my F-100 (pics to follow soon) and am very happy with the results, and no nasty smells either, apart from my own and the dog's that is.😁

🇺🇦

They are pretty reliable paints. Luckily I only have three cats, never had problems with nasty smells from them! 😆

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Hi Martin,

Which a/c are you modelling? Makes a difference to some bits.

Hi Frank, it's from the microscale decal sheet, can't remember off hand the serial. I remember you helped me out with my last attempt regards the nav light on the tail fin. I'll get back to you this evening cheers. I've already corrected the exhaust tubes.

4 hours ago, modelling minion said:

🇺🇦

Yes, I believe it's happened occasionally when I've been working on a model that someone walks into the room and says 'What is that awful smell? You've been painting again...', when all I've been doing is sanding and dry-fitting parts. Lightningboy2000, nice work on the Voodoo - always one of my favourite jets! I'm tempted to get this kit, despite the problems (or perhaps because of them?). I've built dozens of limited-run kits so I'm well-acquainted with their 'charms'.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Thanks to Frank for your help with the detail changes.

Hope you don't mind me posting that photo you sent me as it descibes perfectly what needs to be done to the exhaust area.

52169528111_c920ffa077_b.jpg

Just a little bit of fettling today.

52169771974_3308c7243a_h.jpg

52170004810_3e5a2e1116_h.jpg

This is one of the burner cans from my previous model. I had made up the exhaust tubing that's exposed by the cutaway fuselage panel.

52168522412_3ac29a3b20_h.jpg

This is the other un painted exhaust & burner just held in place with blutac.

52169527391_eb968bfacf_h.jpg

• Like 13