Wildcat vs Martlet colours

shatters

Having nearly completed my Airfix Gruman Wildcat, I decided to drag the Martlet out of the stash, when comparing thd instructions I noticed the Wildcat suggest U.S. gull gray for the insides of the engine bay and undercarriage legs ( makes sense). But in the Martlet they suggest RAF sky to match the undersides. 

My question is why would they change the interior colour on the production line fir British supplies ? Would they not just change exterior colours ?

Many thanks in advance

Phil

I'll @iang  @Grey Beema @Seahawk  @85sqn @Tailspin Turtle may know more

This may help

4000380691_2b02230f82_b.jpgGrumman Martlet by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

3780466009_a597b0b349_b.jpgGrumman Martlet. by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

38153519804_f470ce66e4_b.jpgGrumman Martlet Mk. IV, 1944. by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

There may also be some variation with Wildcat V and VI, which were built by Eastern, not Grumman.   Grumman were building aircraft fro the British pre Lend Lease, and used colours specified by the British. 

This is I think a Wildcat V

15898717092_de30b5e0d4_c.jpgFAA Grumman Martlet, Burma? by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

if nothing else may help get a feel of the airframe you don't get from B/W pics.

HTH

• Like 5

The second photo above, is a group of Mk IV's (Cyclone engine, 6-gun wing). The other three shots - including the one labeled as a Mk IV - are Mk V's (late Twin Wasp cowl, 4-gun wing).

Edited by MDriskill
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @Troy Smith, I’m in the ha’penny place of knowledge compared with the others you name but here goes anyway.

I’m going to start with this link to @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies Colourcoats web site, which gives a handy guide to interior colours.

https://www.sovereignhobbies.co.uk/pages/us-navy-usmc-aircraft-colours-around-ww2

I don’t see why there would be much deviation from the list above.  Frequently you see the light grey of the cowling interior and U/C area referred to as Grumman Grey.  I am not sure if the Cockpit Bronze Green was replaced by MAP Interior green, perhaps one of the others can confirm.

The Grumman exterior colour match exactly to the Air Ministry colours so no equivalent colours required UNLESS you are building a Wildcat V or VI which as Troy stated were built by Eastern (Except for the first few (I’m not sure of the number) MkVs built by Grumman).  The exterior paint matches are due to Grumman having a contract for Wildcat provision before the US entry into the war and MAP specifying the colour match.  

I assume that MkV & MkVI production was moved to Eastern to allow Grumman to concentrate on Hellcat production.  Eastern aircraft used equivalent colours for their aircraft which, I understand was Olive Drab, Sea Grey, Sky (not MAP sky), I think these are the same as you would use on a Corsair.

Grumman Hellcat MkI & MkII continue to be supplied to the FAA in colours matching TSS until the move to GSB in 1945..

I hope I’ve managed to help..

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I take back part of my earlier statement! These two might be Mk II's: smaller cowl opening; different, smaller magneto slightly angled; no oil sump (which was on the back cylinder row of the Twin Wasp)and the telltale intercooler bulge on "P" (the single-stage supercharged Mk II had no intercoolers, but many had the bumps anyway, in common with the two-stage USN variants built simultaneously).

29292-A65-64-F4-4-E31-83-E3-D858388-F014

Edited by MDriskill
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MDriskill said:

I take back part of my earlier statement! These two might be Mk II's: smaller cowl opening; different, smaller magneto slightly angled; no oil sump (which was on the back cylinder row of the Twin Wasp)and the telltale intercooler bulge on "P" (single-stage supercharged Mk II had no intercoolers, but most late ones had the little bumps for it in common with the two-stage USN variants simultaneously under construction).

29292-A65-64-F4-4-E31-83-E3-D858388-F014

And a three gun wing..

• Like 1