Polikarpov R-5sss Armament Question

bjohns5

http://top.scalemodels.ru/images/2015/04/1428746846_8-1.jpg

http://top.scalemodels.ru/images/2015/04/1428746848_11-2.jpg

Initially , they were put with 2 degtyarev machine guns . Then they went to the CCC and the later p5 series with the tour 8. While the variant of the first series is visible.

6129936.jpeg

And this is a very interesting description of machine gun installations.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mechanic said:

Initially , they were put with 2 degtyarev machine guns . Then they went to the CCC and the later p5 series with the tour 8. While the variant of the first series is visible.

And this is a very interesting description of machine gun installations.

The AMG Polikarpov R-5 kit includes five of the PV-1 machine guns on the sprues indicating they have plans to release the R-5sh early attack version sometime in the future. They also include a very delicate but beautiful paired Degtyarev mounting for the observer position.

• Like 1

Here are some more excerpts on this topic
1. Mild steel “M” was used in the connecting nodes, and the wing and hood struts were made of duralumin.
2. At the same time, they mastered a series of R-5LSH attack aircraft equipped with four additional SHKAS machine guns in containers under the wing and an improved turreted Tur-8 with a SHKAS machine gun, instead of two paired DA machine guns.
3. Variants of the P-5 with various weapons — SSS and P-Z were developed and launched into a series.
4. According to the reviews of the pilots who sat at the controls of the SSS, the attack aircraft was of little use for attacking ground targets due to its rather low speed data and the complete lack of booking of vital units and crew. In order to maintain the number of SSS, they were transferred to night work.... that is, it can be assumed that in the Spanish version of the SSS, in addition to the PV-1 course machine gun, there were also machine-gun containers under the wing. After all, this is a stormtrooper!

• Like 1

Something else I just noticed that is different about the R-5SSS. On the standard R-5 there is a pair of air scoops located on the underside of the engine cowling as seen in this photo of an R-5 undergoing engine maintenance. Those scoops are not present on the R-5SSS. I can't yet find a photo showing whether the ducts were eliminated completely or if just the projecting scoop was eliminated and there is still a screened over opening in those spots.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by bjohns5

In the technical description of the aircraft "CCC" there is a section 3. The propeller group where it is written that the aircraft is equipped with motors of the type "M-17". But it was also equipped with an M-17F engine. In many photos, I noticed that these air intake pipes are there, but many are not. It all depends on the type of motor installed. This aircraft had a lot of modifications. Here's what I found:
.."but the first assault version of the P-5 appeared as a result of the initiative of the commander of the 252nd Aviation Brigade A.A. Turzhansky and brigade engineer Pavlov. At their request, the fuselage beams of the bomb racks were removed from the production aircraft and a box with PV-1 machine guns was installed on the lower wing. The modified machine received the designation R-5SH. On March 2, 1934, a decree of the USSR Labor and Defense Council was issued, prescribing the creation of a prototype R-5 attack aircraft with SHKAS machine guns. At plant No. 1, in order to reduce weight and improve aerodynamics, teardrop-shaped fairings were installed on the aircraft, in addition to the M-17F engine, on the chassis, slipways were introduced on the struts and struts." Thus, the BVLA replaced the engine with "M-17FA about the slipways, as can be seen in your photos. Here's another excerpt: "the new SHKAS machine guns, capable of firing 1,500 rounds per minute, twice exceeded the capabilities of the PV-1. Such a significant increase in the second salvo allowed us to limit ourselves to a four-barrel wing battery (two machine guns per wing), abandoning the fifth PV-1 on the P-5SH. The fire could be carried out from two extreme, two medium or from all four barrels. As a defensive weapon, another SHKAS was installed on top of the shooter. Such an aircraft was called the CCC, i.e. "high-speed, rapid-climb, rapid-fire". "And I think that after installing a new forced engine on the CCC, it was already put on all new modifications of the P-5. According to the photo, you can understand that if there are pipes, then there is an M-17F motor, and if not, then there is still an old M-17. These are my assumptions as an aviation engineer. Something like that...Have a nice day!

Here I found. "R-5SH: a version of an attack aircraft tested in 1931, initially with four additional PV-1 machine guns, in streamlined containers above the lower wing; had a ventral container for light bombs with a total weight of up to 500 kg (1,102 lb); the production model of 1933 had an M-17B engine and eight machine guns instead of four.
R-5SSS: also known simply as SSS; modification to achieve improved flight characteristics; chassis with streamlined racks and wheel fairings, M-17F engine under the hood of a modified design and stationary armament increased to two SHKAS machine guns; the attack aircraft variant had four SHKAS machine guns on the lower wing.

And yet, in pursuit...do not forget that the aircraft was also equipped with a BMV6 engine and an AM-34 in later modifications. But they were few in number.

On 7/4/2022 at 10:38 PM, bjohns5 said:

Those scoops are not present on the R-5SSS.

That is true, on photos it is seen together  with some minor differences in improved aerodynamics, it sad that on many drawings of "SSS" those intakes are shown what is an apparent mistake.

J-W

• 10 months later...

Recently i found drawings which shows 8 MG of SSS as four in lower wing, one i gunner position and three synchronised with prop in nose, two on left side, one on right. Please note also lack of two inlets below the engine, a bit different cooler, fairings on lower wing-fuselage connection, MGs in lower wings....

11-1.jpg

Edited by JWM