Aaaargh. Messerschmitt Mishaps. Part rant, part plea for ideas

Properjob56

Am doing a triplet of 1/72 109’s. The old Airfix -E, the Heller -B/C and the Fujimi -F

nearly finished the Heller. Assembled, painted and decalled. Last step, assemble undercarriage. Did it. Heller had engineered the kit to ensure foolproof fixing of leg with correct rake. Stepped back to admire…….. The legs had a forward rake of….0 degrees and were modelled with oleos extended.😱 giving the impression of a clumsy flamingo. Thank goodness I used Superglue and not cement. So my intention is to dislodge the legs, drill a locating hole with the correct rake, refix and hope I get the leg length as well as rake and splay angles correct. I’ll live with the cut off and therefore misshapen undercarriage doors but is there a better way? 

Just finished painting the Fujimi ready for decals. Used Humbrol enamel 248 for RLM76. It’s dried a dark blue grey and seems interchangeable with RAF PRU Blue 😱Who knew? Even I, as a botch loving amateur, could not live with that. So it’s out with the Humbrol paint stripper ready for a repaint with Pollyscale acrylic RLM76. Have I misread that 248 is RLM76? or is the paint matcher at Humbrol colourblind?  Is there a better way?

So the venerable Airfix with the worse reputation has given me the least trouble, well aside from the really badly fitting canopy but that’s another story.