Sea Dart / Sea Wolf Missile Systems

While at the SCOTNATS the other week I picked up this kit and started building it during the quiet bits of the show.

I know @Silenoz has already started another BLOG but that has stalled while he builds a Harrier.

So a quick build for me while waiting for the sea base on my BYMS build to dry between coats of wool and water.

Some clean up and a couple of weld seams to add before primer on the Sea Dart i will be going for the red training colour to make it stand out a bit more.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 14

I know, Mea culpa... Started applying tape for the black parts on the missiles, didn't work out as planned and put it aside for a while... need to take it of the shelf of half finished subjects...

Looking good so far

• Like 1

On 6/12/2022 at 8:51 PM, Courageous said:

As you say, a quick build...hopefully. I wonder if Takom's range will extend into Ikara or Sea Slug...

Stuart

Sea Slug in 1/35 would be monstrously big!  Having served in a Sea Slug ship (Norfolk) and seen one fired (Glamorgan, 1982), I’m in (though breath not held in reality)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Small update Sea Dart base in paint shop being primed so started the build up of the Sea Wolf.

Now hoping @Ex-FAAWAFU and @Chewbacca might be able to help me here I was thinking of showing this kit off as firing the missile.

Now would it only fire one at a time or could it fire dual missiles or if firing one after another would the next launcher cover be open or closed until after first one launched.  🤔

spacer.png

beefy

• Like 7

I hate to contradict ex-FAAWAFU, but GWS25 could fire two missiles in salvo at the same target - hence the two command link transmission dishes to the left of the main tracking aerial on the director.  The launcher doors for the second missile would not open until the first missile was clear of the launcher to prevent damage to the missile from rocket efflux.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I'll watch this one beefy,

Completed the sea dart earlier this year, apart from 1 or 2 problems with tolerences and the usual strangeness of takom having those idiots at mig produce a completely wrong painting guide it went together quite well. Its always interesting to see someone take a different way to finishing a model.

Still got sea wolf to do, hopefully in a few months time. Have you found any fit issues with it?

James.

• Like 1

On 7/6/2022 at 10:17 AM, Our Ned said:

I hate to contradict ex-FAAWAFU, but GWS25 could fire two missiles in salvo at the same target - hence the two command link transmission dishes to the left of the main tracking aerial on the director.  The launcher doors for the second missile would not open until the first missile was clear of the launcher to prevent damage to the missile from rocket efflux.

There you go: I stand corrected.  Mind you, with manual reloading and 6 up the spout, I wonder whether anyone ever actually fired two at once.

• Like 1

Certainly done in trials and training - for war, it would depend upon (a) system switch settings ("Salvo" or "Single-shot") and (b) computer assessment of the threat (and whether time allowed a "shoot look shoot" approach).  See, for example, https://www.defencetalk.com/hms-chatham-successfully-test-fires-sea-wolf-missiles-11773/

Edited by Our Ned
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/7/2022 at 9:19 PM, Jagdtiger1 said:

I'll watch this one beefy,

Completed the sea dart earlier this year, apart from 1 or 2 problems with tolerences and the usual strangeness of takom having those idiots at mig produce a completely wrong painting guide it went together quite well. Its always interesting to see someone take a different way to finishing a model.

Still got sea wolf to do, hopefully in a few months time. Have you found any fit issues with it?

James.

James @Jagdtiger1 no fit issues just my incompetence to read the instruction ended up putting the hatch doors hinges on the wrong way luckily the glue had not set so was able to recover after finding my mistake.

So progress so far very slow but small bits at a time.

On 7/11/2022 at 9:01 AM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

There you go: I stand corrected.  Mind you, with manual reloading and 6 up the spout, I wonder whether anyone ever actually fired two at once.

On 7/11/2022 at 11:55 AM, Our Ned said:

Certainly done in trials and training - for war, it would depend upon (a) system switch settings ("Salvo" or "Single-shot") and (b) computer assessment of the threat (and whether time allowed a "shoot look shoot" approach).  See, for example, https://www.defencetalk.com/hms-chatham-successfully-test-fires-sea-wolf-missiles-11773/

@Ex-FAAWAFU and @Our Ned many thanks for your time and input on this matter some interesting things to read through there.

My plan is to just have one bird away like most of the on-line photos I have been looking through as reference

spacer.png

spacer.png

Made a start on the painting of the Sea Dart base started to mask up after a coat of Deck grey the photo does make it look rather darker than you think.

Then on to the missiles going for the red training set up cant help humming the tune to Thunderbirds when I look at these.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Well managed to get some paint on using Colourcoats modern RN light weather upper works grey and the Seadart had a coat of Humbrol gloss red

Then decals applied after it was all dried used some spares for the codes on the missile sides as not supplied in the kit not quite correct but make it look better I think.

now for some weathering.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 15

I can certainly back up that Seawolf salvo shot.  I remember being on the bridge as BRAVE (which had 911 trackers) fired a salvo on (I think) the Aberporth range.  About 2 seconds delay while the first missile clears.

At least the nice thing about Seawolf was that the efflux didn't completely trash the upperdeck.  We did a few Sea Dart firings in BIRMINGHAM and GLASGOW and every time we did it it resulted in major ship's husbandry as the jet wash literally burnt off the paint back to bare metal.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Well after a nice Greek break away and some other stuff now sorted I can try and get MO and JO back to work on some stuff I have lying around.

Two options here people I want to show the sea wolf as just launching so for the tail would cotton wool look better or the fibre stuffing material do you think.  🤔  :shrug:

Cotton wool first this is just dry fit so looks a bit limp at the tail end going to use a translucent tube to support either one

And the fibre stuffing from the conservatory cushion the missus suspects nothing yet.  :whistle:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers 

beefy

• Like 12