F-104C

• 1 month later...

Oops, where did that nearly two months go?  Anyway, I've now made a start on this, first up by ignoring the instructions & gluing the front & back part of each side together. The interior tub & front panel have been painted & subsequently decaled, these parts will be straight OOB, I hate fiddling around with cockpits & then it'll be gluing the side together & getting on with it all. Least that's the current plan.

DSCF3462

Steve.

• Like 6

We've been ticking along nicely on this, now got something that looks a bit like a F-104, some wing tip tanks courtesy of a Hasegawa Red Baron kit have improved that part of it, they were a perfect fit too 👍, I've amused myself making some additions to the dashboard & fitting the sensors for the ECM suite these birds carried, a pity the kit had nothing in it for that, afaics, neither did the one that Hasegawa brought out for this unit either. In general it has gone together Ok but a lot of minor fettling to get an acceptable fit.

DSCF3474

Steve.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, modelling minion said:

The wing tanks fit really well considering they are from a different kit.

I was surprised at that, I was having doubts about how difficult it might be but they just slipped over the ends of the wings as though they were meant for the Italeri ones, better than the Italeri tanks in fact plus the Hase ones had pegs in the outer half to make sure they only went on so far & no more. A big relief to me.

Steve.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

There has been progress on this, apart from 4 coats of Humbrol 28 on the underside, waiting 3 days between till they dried enough to recoat, I started playing with the Vic Hobby USAF SEA paint set I got from HLJ. Initial reactions are good, I thought the colours were about right, except maybe for the FS36622 underside colour which I thought was a little too grey, lacking a bit of the warmth that seems to be a characteristic of this shade. Having got another build out of the way, I started to put some topside colour on this. After drawing some pencil lines for the tan, I just free handed the others, so it is indeed an approximation of the real deal, as I suspect are the Italeri drawings for this, but we're not too far off the right colours where they should be I think. Since this, I've got some more coats on & its is starting to look quite convincing to my eye. The Vic Hobby stuffs dries quite quickly but is forgiving for a brush painter, its possible to go back over brush strokes without issues, it doesn't pick up but smooths out & dries to a fairly gloss finish. Should make decalling a doodle.  Yeah right. :D 

DSCF3484

Steve.

• Like 5

Thanks Craig. I just had a lightbulb moment looking at your reply, I've forgotten to put the refueling probe on which of course needs gluing on where I've painted. Bugger, one step back. :(  Not too serious though I think. 🤞

Steve.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

I've forgotten to put the refueling probe on which of course needs gluing on where I've painted. Bugger, one step back. :(  Not too serious though I think. 🤞

I would have thought you would sort that easily mate, won't the glue work on paint?

🇺🇦

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Been meaning to get this up for a few days, but we've ben isolating for the last few days, her indoors has got the bat pox now, so she is locked in our room mit ensuite & I'm in the youngest ones room, luckily he is at uni. So far have not come down with it but being the main care giver/general factotum hasn't been conducive to doing this sort of thing. Anyway, this jobbie is pretty much done, I've got to affix the u/c doors & give it a satin coat & it'll be complete, to my mind anyway. Manana with luck. :)

DSCF3490

Steve.

• Like 4

Hi Steve,

you really achieved a brilliant result. A great looking Starfighter!

I never heard of the paints you used, but they are pretty convincing at the end of the day.

Congrats!!!

JR

• Thanks 1