Ta Da! Back after a 40 year break

Afternoon (or whatever time it is where you are) Just completed this little fella

It's an Eduard 1/72 Dr1 dressed up to represent the aircraft flown by Richard Wenzl (588/17 for those interested in such things) 😉

Built out of the box since I've not put a plastic kit together for several decades. I did sand the various struts down as far as I could (In fact I went too far with the wing ties and ended up buying another kit to nick them from) The propeller is carved from laminations of plywood and the model is entirely painted in acrylics. (There are a few other details and in progress shots on my other DR1 thread which I won't repeat here)

Rally enjoyed this one in a 'straining the eyeballs' kind of way and looking forward to the next one. . .

Cheers

Paul

S7lcpr0X2AvKjDMdWXO0RTCJJIbqu4HuMn8duaQwQET9cQzYapqTiSmVPezS2xn_JbFUxeA7fkMyXX2bFOTf-GV7Jmhf_J2ko3tGbWP2oGJtPDiuRtbh2Jw17rSh2HJrYjVyIFURkLp9UT19TN1Ct93wAljSySJu

• Like 64
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, russ c said:

Really nice Dr1, love the scheme you chose too

Cheers Russ. I wanted something different and found a nice profile which I thought would be simple enough to mask or make up from decals and would cover the werks number. Alas i hadn't realised till I'd embarked upon it that I'd need to do all the checkerboards on the leading edges and, of course, the number was visible on the right hand side where it pokes out so I ended up having to adjust a decal with a bit of delicate brushwork😉

2 hours ago, HL-10 said:

Lovely looking little model, very nicely finished and great work for a first kit after such a long time! :)

Thanks HL-10. I've not been idle in the intervening years, although it's definitely a bit of a change from my usual figures and flying balsa models 🙃

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Maginot said:

Very nice. That prop is marvelous.

Cheers Maginot

This was the third attempt, so I think I'm getting the hang of them now (The first was a bit clunky and I snapped the tip off the second rushing it 😭 I even managed to put the makers marks on this the wrong way round by following the kit instructions, but when I checked photo's they were upside down. Luckily I hadn't varnished it so I managed to do a swap with some others)

Paul

2 hours ago, Hairtrigger said:

Love that....  The prop is brilliant...   Like the subtle weathering as well.

Thank you Hairtrigger. I was bit worried I might have overdone the weathering at first . . . 

2 hours ago, Roberto said:

Wow. This is a lovely return!

Cheers Roberto 😃

2 hours ago, billn53 said:

Sweet! Can you send it to me? I'll pay postage . . . 😉

LOL funny man 🤣

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Britman said:

Still got it,as they say. Very nice.

Keith

Cheer Keith. 👍

26 minutes ago, ColinChipmunkfan said:

What a great looking Triplane.  The propellor in 1/72 is amazing.🙂

Colin

Thanks Colin (Props my favourite bit if I'm honest) 😁

Woooaaaahhhh. If that's what you turn out after 40 years doing nothing, then I shudder to think what you'll be turning out in a few years time after practicing.

That's stunning.

Regards

Pete

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wulfman said:

Great looking Tripe, love the paint job !

Wulfman

Thank you Wulfman 😃

1 hour ago, dnl42 said:

Excellent work! All the more so after 40 years.:worthy:

Cheers Matey 👍 (Love the little imogi as well, must remember about that one)

7 minutes ago, Pete Robin said:

Woooaaaahhhh. If that's what you turn out after 40 years doing nothing, then I shudder to think what you'll be turning out in a few years time after practicing.

That's stunning.

Regards

Pete

😁 Thanks Pete - plenty of 'practice' models in the stack so we'll see . . . . 😎

Very impressive work indeed  ! 

There seem to be lots of us getting back into the ‘saddle’ although I’m certainly one of us starting with a very much smaller, more comfortable and accesible Shetland pony mounted one !! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pantherhawk27263 said:

That is marvelous work! Welcome back!!!

Thank you Pantherhawk. Nice to be back 😃

2 hours ago, Vapouriser said:

Very impressive work indeed  ! 

There seem to be lots of us getting back into the ‘saddle’ although I’m certainly one of us starting with a very much smaller, more comfortable and accesible Shetland pony mounted one !! 

Cheers Vapouriser. look forward to seeing your 'Sheltland pony mounted one' 😆

• Like 2