Mcdonnell F101B Voodoo

44 minutes ago, neil5208 said:

Due to the Almark decals poor quality and just being plain wrong I will need to find some different ones so I cant start painting until new ones have been sourced.

PM inbound

Finally got the new decals through yesterday, Belcher Bits Canadian CF101's. This set has enough serial numbers to enable the representation of any of the Voodoo's operated by the Canada, this includes the black electronic warfare aircraft. After looking at some pictures online I'm going for aircraft 035 while it was with 409Sqn.

Ss9deihR_o.jpg

vM3KqTet_o.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

After doing 3 Bandai Star Wars kits its time to get back to the Voodoo, sprayed Mr Hobby Colour H51 as this was the closest I had to FS36492 but it look to dark so I may go for Tamiya XF12 IJN Grey a bit later.

pKpERCVd_o.jpg

cTaEruW5_o.jpg

Also as it was my 50th last week the wife let me loose in what's left of Regal models in Chatham with a budget of £100, unfortunately the owner is closing the model side of the business as its no longer viable but he did give me a good deal on the kits below.

ykfPqo7G_o.jpg

Without realising at the time I now have a delta wing collection, Decals have been ordered for the Vulcan and Flanker, Vulcan will be XM607 as Red Flag 1977 and the Flanker will be an Angolan aircraft.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Resprayed the Voodoo a few days ago with Tamiya XF12 IJN Grey which is much better than the H51 that I used before. Masked up the nose and flap areas so this could be sprayed black and red.

NCKkM7FO_o.jpg

77phGC9r_o.jpg

Once this had dried I can do the tail section and redo the wheel bays.

• Like 5

Nose and anti glare panel sprayed with gloss black, anti glare panel will be sprayed matt once all the decals have been sealed.

PHzTFwvZ_o.jpg

All undercarriage bays resprayed along with flaps and air brake panels.

bTpNKSZD_o.jpg

oVIOohxx_o.jpg

Started work on the fuel tanks.

lmv03CTt_o.jpg

• Like 4

Put a couple of layers of Klear floor polish on yesterday and started on the decals this afternoon. First time with Belcher Bits decals and they seem to go on fairly well but take a long time to settle down even with Microsol red so its now in the airing cupboard to see if a bit of warmth helps.

GzbFULW9_o.jpg

Still a bit crinkly.

C4rmpNbY_o.jpg

Almost completed the decals using the Belcher Bits and some of the stencil data from the kit kit decals, still not sure about the large walkway markings as I still have the kit one which have just the black lines but I continue with the Microsol to see if the crinkling goes. I managed to break off the starboard pitot during one of the decal sessions so I will have to make a replacement.

42CA1fiR_o.jpg

cMAmtemk_o.jpg

bOnsVJhm_o.jpg

t0gji5Cd_o.jpg

• Like 1

On 9/25/2022 at 7:10 PM, billn53 said:

I've found that gentle heating with a hair blower can help in situations like that.

Or make a tiny hole in the bubble gently with a sharp (preferably disposable injection) needle or new #11 Xacto to let the trapped air to escape and apply a little setting solution to that area only. 

• 2 weeks later...

Been concentrating on the Flying wing and Mighty Dragon for last few weeks but did some work on the Voodoo yesterday and this morning, still not happy with the walk way decals from Belcher Bits so I may remove them and use the kit ones instead.

OPTCiPPm_o.jpgHK8p1F14_o.jpg

Finished off the exhausts and fitted

Rm77pzVZ_o.jpg

Fuel tanks have sprayed and clear coated ready for decals.

xBDqCjw8_o.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, neil5208 said:

still not happy with the walk way decals from Belcher Bits so I may remove them and use the kit ones instead.

As I proposed before, you can give try to open some little holes or even make clean cuts along these bubbles and using decal softener fix them. Some overlapped areas shouldn't be a problem.

When I have such large decal I start from one edge and slowly move towards the other end to let the trapped air to escape using a brush or qtip.

Serkan

Made the decision to strip the decals off and replace with the kit ones, tock about 25 mins soaking with Microsol red before they would come off.

PGuEgcb7_o.jpg

Fuel tanks, flaps and hook fitted.

hpv7z3kY_o.jpg

Along with tail planes.m6PXKbgm_o.jpg

I'm off for a 2 week course in lovely Gosport on Monday so I think this one wont be finished before I leave unfortunately.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...