Mcdonnell F101B Voodoo

Straight off the back of the Meng F102 Delta Dagger I'm starting another century series aircraft, Revell's F101B Voodoo from 1991. This was purchased from Rob at my local model club last month for the princely sum of £5, I'm pretty sure this is from 1991 as the original price tag of £6.95 was still on the box and the instructions are dated 1991. Apart from the decals looking a bit yellow the parts look good moulded in very 1970's "airfix" like soft silver plastic and were all still on the sprue. I have ordered a set of Almark decals from Hannants which has the choice of US and Canadian aircraft as I haven't decided on air superiority grey or NFM. Sprue shots first and then work started on cockpit.

hPFn2c4f_o.jpg

capcGb6i_o.jpg

ZKW6jpjM_o.jpg

ONoN4QVp_o.jpg

wpgSJHd0_o.jpg

EdRwcMVI_o.jpg

ibGvYYgO_o.jpg

0ilTQImg_o.jpg

sn6kss1K_o.jpg

pPfdJ6PV_o.jpg

BFZIfp1w_o.jpg

B2RH2VpL_o.jpg

mEgDxLXP_o.jpg

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, billn53 said:

Another “must build soon” from my stash!
I’ll pull up a seat, if you don’t mind me leaving peanut shells on the floor. 

Of course Bill, revell or valem?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, billn53 said:

One of each!
:blush:

I'm not surprised after you shared the stash picture last week, how many F4 does one man need. Does the Valom kit have decent colour details, FS hopefully has the revell instructions are the usual 1990's vague hints at colours if any (see pictures below)

vgjjAEJa_o.jpg

On this one only part 8 has colour indicated nothing for the intake itself and the next the cockpit side wall and the camera housing have no colours mentioned.

3VUDZKZy_o.jpg

Test fitted the air brakes and both fit extremely well and have detail on the inside but the fuselage aperture has no detail so I may have to add as the kit give the option for flaps down and the few pictures I have seen with flaps down the air brakes are deployed.

w0dtYfDf_o.jpg

VbGtaMIc_o.jpg

QoDTowS4_o.jpg

Cockpit decal applied but show Revells have printed out of register so the after market set was a good choice.

qqmUQp9D_o.jpg

Oh and the instructions have the pilots and back seaters decal panels the wrong way round No2 for the front not No1

• Like 5

Nice start Neil. I will check my decal stash as l may have some extra Revell F-101B sheets which l will bring to the next meeting.

Regards

Robert

• Like 2

On 6/13/2022 at 4:32 PM, Christer A said:

Nasty sinkmarks on the air brakes though. 

The sink marks look bad but dont feel like they much surface distortion. I think is the effect of the silver plastic but will see more one a primer coat is on.

Small update before I go down to Devon for 8 days, finished the seat painting.

GohXgHuN_o.jpg

The nose wheel bay has been bonded to one of the fuselage side, if you follow the instructions you should join the fuselage halves and insert the cockpit tub through this large hole but I have tried this without the instrument panels and failed hence only bonding once side of the wheel bay.

TsyZ3k3w_o.jpg

The replacement Almark decals have arrived only to find out they are a year older than the kits but they look to be in better condition, also picked up some RoPs Blenhiem decals at the same time.

c8Foy89i_o.jpg

9c6A0Q3Z_o.jpg

I have an idea what to do with the airbrake for detailing but will need to do some experiments.

• Like 4

After a quick think and beverage I made some inserts for the air brake wells from the tin of said beverage, based on pictures of the eduard etch set. Not perfect but better than nothing.

CfafhGqv_o.jpg

7ZpoyzgH_o.jpg

XpsIAfDw_o.jpg

Pressed the rivets in with back corner of blunt scalpel blade.

• Like 8

The formation “slime” lights may have to come off depending on your final choice of markings. Same for the nose infra-red seaker head. Finally, depending on how pedantic you are, some airframes had an extra set of guide vanes in the intakes. MDC initially added them at a certain production number, then decided they weren’t needed after all. A photo is the only sure way to know. I go from trying to correct everything in a kit to not bothering to put an interior in another myself. 

Edited by Robin-42
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Robin-42 said:

The formation “slime” lights may have to come off depending on your final choice of markings. Same for the nose infra-red seaker head. Finally, depending on how pedantic you are, some airframes had an extra set of guide vanes in the intakes. MDC initially added them at a certain production number, then decided they weren’t needed after all. A photo is the only sure way to know. I go from trying to correct everything in a kit to not bothering to put an interior in another myself. 

Thanks for the tip, will have to do some checking.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/19/2022 at 6:22 AM, Tony Edmundson said:

Those Almark decals are atrocious, please don’t use the Canadian markings, they’re no where near accurate

I see what you mean the maple leafs are very small.

On 6/19/2022 at 3:32 AM, Robin-42 said:

The decals I have have the IR seeker but no formation lights so I have sanded the moulded one off.

djvBf6cD_o.jpg

oBAVrmTM_o.jpg

Finally made some progress on the Voodoo, the cockpit fitting was very troublesome but after some sanding of the wheel bay and cockpit floor I managed to squeeze the fuselage halves together.

4tx55USm_o.jpg

OqL9MLKi_o.jpg

Wafer thin but its against the cockpit floor.

ifGWUwpp_o.jpg

LsECU3Cn_o.jpg

Together at last but I haven't removed the formation lights on this side. The wing upper section had some nasty sink marks in the intake area that have been filed and sanded.

l37mtN0G_o.jpg

24nnvXV0_o.jpg

iqk02E9h_o.jpg

7nYmhnEW_o.jpg

Quick test fit of the wing section.

• Like 8

I was hoping once the cockpit was finally in place I could make some decent progress this week but alas the Revellness of the kit keep showing up. Firstly the intake ramps don't meet up with the intake edges.

xWyBrtrP_o.jpg

zQzLoc0G_o.jpg

One side is high the other lower than where it should be.

xwOg02Q6_o.jpg

Nothing a couple of clamps and a tooth pick jammed in cant sort out.

2wL6VQcu_o.jpg

Next problem is the rotating missile pallet, the pallet itself if fine but the bay that is meant to hold it has no locating method in the fuselage and is not large enough for the pallet to rotate.

v0Uwff0Y_o.jpg

It also has alignment issues. AIM 4 side.

uVqNtMMU_o.jpg

dzT0e04R_o.jpg

p3Z807VS_o.jpg

Genie side

v0Uwff0Y_o.jpg

The pallet also seems short as the wing section lines up nicely in the fuselage so I think I'll do away with the internal bay and fix the pallet in the fuselage before fixing the wings, that will leave a gap between pallet and wing section but fixing here will be easier than at the front with multiple joints.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Now I've finished the Bandai X Wing I can get back to the voodoo

55BRacZA_o.jpg

Had to get creative clamping the port side intake so it could set properly and then some sprue gloop.

o67LGjLf_o.jpg

Y0j0sBSB_o.jpg

The canopy has been polished, dipped in Future floor polish and test fit, good on this side but no so much on the starboard.

u95tLIXX_o.jpgEes05PJB_o.jpg

Once the sprue gloop has hardened enough to shape I can move on to the rotating pallet.

• Like 6

Sanded the sprue gloop and fitted the wings

WQpd2wa1_o.jpg

The intakes below the engines are moulded without opening so after a bit of filling and plastic card I end up with this

I0n16sW7_o.jpg

3vUyG1JS_o.jpg

The pallet strakes fitted and cover the poor fit of the pallet.

vvaoCrWu_o.jpg

And test fit of AIM4's

HGNXKUu9_o.jpg

Also put together the jet nozzles and fuel tanks.

3jy3GxUp_o.jpg

P6OWdsHc_o.jpg

Considering the age of the kit it has for the most part gone together quite well but both the exhausts and tanks didn't line up so well.

• Like 3

I wouldn't worry too much about the seam in the exhausts, there is a line visible on the real thing as well - in fact, adding rivets would make it really lifelike:
y4mw7tAEmMl7cicmTu0boTX5PCTTBf2NHlOp6Jjr

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Fitted the engine aux intakes and sprayed the red flap wells.

iuOGRPDR_o.jpg

ssmMeOEL_o.jpg

Canopy has been fitted, masked and sprayed as well.

VrjqeTVO_o.jpg

Due to the Almark decals poor quality and just being plain wrong I will need to find some different ones so I cant start painting until new ones have been sourced. Onto the Bandai B Wing!