Argentinian Dagger: Italeri's 1:48 IAI Nesher/Dagger (Captain Norberto Dimeglio) FINISHED!

I was actually saving for the Tamiya P-47 in order to test my new Mr. Mark Softer on their decals, but this one showed up cheaply from a known Facebook seller.

The seller warned me before paying him, that the kit was unbagged and with the decal sheet cut in half (but in top shape). Hopefully everything will be there.

For now, I'll be posting photos of the boxart from the Internet, a single photo of the IRL aircraft, and some profiles of similar aircraft.

Here you can see 431 after the War. It had the yellow ID markings on the tail. As other Daggers had yellow ID bands on the wings, and this one doesn't show the upper surfaces, it's safe to assume 431 also had the yellow bands on the upper surfaces of the wings. 

5nrWH9r.jpeg

A profile from the Mirage IIIEA/Dagger from Kinetic. I'll guide myself with their instructions for the yellow bands.

m9TeKFf.jpeg

C-437, with the same yellow configuration on the tail and yellow bands.

EvTiPvN.png

Here you can see 431's brother, 432. It was exhibited in the Museo Nacional de Aeronáutica in Buenos Aires. As of 2022, it's been removed from the hangar to undergo restoration works.

ZA8gyV0.jpeg

Also, a profile from Dagger C-430 with turquoise bands.

cMwDRuD.jpeg

And finally, the boxart (taken from the Internet):

OgfzpXV.jpeg

I also have posted a wip thread for Tamiya's Fw 190D-9 in 1:48. I don't know which one to build when my holidays arrive.

Edited by Sturmovik
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Hello guys!

In between my exams, I was able to do some work on Italeri's Dagger. I followed Pablo Calcaterra's suggestion on his Dagger on Modelling Madness, and added two wedges under the upper wing halves. I then dry fitted the wings to the taped fuselage (I still need to start work on the kit proper). No steps to be seen, but a gap. Will see if I fill it, or I get lazy and do nothing about it.

PHAwSWB.jpeg

1e4QiAS.jpeg

cQpjGK8.jpeg

• Like 5

Hello, Sturmovik

Interesting subject of your build. Also, these originally ESCI kits are not of a shake and bake variety. Decades ago I built two of their Mirages III and Kfir C-2 kit and especially the latter was a bit handful. Nevertheles they can all be build into a nice models. Cheers

Jure

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Jure Miljevic said:

are not of a shake

I know I know. But, this kit was on the cheap side (it had been opened, and the decal sheet had been cut in half), so I HAD to buy it. I maybe should have saved my money to get the 1:32 Italeri Mirage IIIE. No point in looking back though.

17 minutes ago, exdraken said:

Great project!

I recommend a Neomega resin cockpit and AML resin or Reskit nozzles if you want to improve the base kit!

Not wanting to sound cheap or lazy, but I don't think adding resin to a model that will later be put on a shelf would matter. Besides, I'd have to order the resin from abroad, and that would be very expensive (U$D is at 230ARS or more). Funnily enough, kits bought from Japan are half the price of what's being sold on my nearby hobby shops (including shipping).

There's also the issue with importing things. We're basically not allowed to import stuff.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Sturmovik said:

There's also the issue with importing things. We're basically not allowed to import stuff.

That might indeed be an issue!  wonder what could be done about it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, exdraken said:

That might indeed be an issue!  wonder what could be done about it.

Not much except to wait for a government change.

Not much modelling these days. Exams are approaching, with two finals scheduled for the end of July. I also did one yesterday, and I'm awaiting the mark of one exam I had to redo because I was shy of 1 point from passing. But I did paint the cockpit, built up the seat and added some weight to the Dagger. Photos soon if I stop from being lazy.

Anyways, back to something more entertaining. While taking a look at several book boxes I had closed at home, I stumbled upon these two magazines. From 2011! Meaning I was 15 when I bought them.

arGBFpE.jpeg

• Like 1

Painted the sidewalls light grey and several other parts in black, such as the nosecone, exhaust and parts of the cockpit.

NoSv7Pm.jpeg

Instrument panel details were privided as decals. I put some effort and painted the seat withb black seatbelts and olive drab cushion.

TpdtP80.jpeg

s2rZk0F.jpeg

Now, we're making the mother of all omelettes guys, we can't fret over every egg!

• Like 2

The Dagger has been assembled. I won't glue the nose cone until the aircraft has been decalled and it's on its gear.

zLAZptT.jpeg

JJERlgb.jpeg

Edited by Sturmovik
  • Like 1

The yellow bands have been painted.

xNJkKmN.jpeg

WcMW50y.jpeg

The underside yellow bands were masked and the light grey was applied.

FoDif0c.jpeg

• Like 1

Hello guys,

I have applied the main colours for the camouflage. I used RLM colours for it (RLM 70/71/79). One thing I should have done before painting the yellow bands was to prime the area. It took multiple coats of yellow to get opacity.

YRT0WVj.jpeg

I'll let the paint fully cure before glossing the model and apply the decals.

Decals were added after two coats of gloss varnish. Once they were dry after letting them cure overnight, I glued the final parts (landing gear, wheels, gear doors, nose and fuel tanks).

I'm calling this build complete. RFI photos later today.

I'm now eyeing Italeri's 1:32 Mirage IIIE. I have the empennage extension (asked about it here las week). If I buy it, it'll be I-003 in the light blue/light grey low visibility scheme.

6SGogIi.jpeg

• Like 1

• Sturmovik changed the title to Argentinian Dagger: Italeri's 1:48 IAI Nesher/Dagger (Captain Norberto Dimeglio) FINISHED!