F-105D Thunderchief x2 - ## FINISHED ##

I received a surprise in the post this morning, it was a package from my fellow modelling buddy and all round good 'egg'  @Hockeyboy76. Inside the box was this 1/144 Platz boxing of the Thunderchief, along with some very nice edible packaging. Cheers buddy, :thumbsup: I hope that I can do them justice and I know that Mrs N and I will enjoy the Stroop Waffles and Welsh Cakes.

In the box are two kits with a choice of three colour options.

52138747396_9da30f1156_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

52138986169_2149bd6c3d_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

52137725197_bb4f533a54_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Cheers.

John

• Like 8

Welcome to the GB John, your participation is always very much welcomed.

Now I don't know which is the best part of the package that our H sent you, these wonderful kits or the Welsh cakes. My Nan on my Dad's side was Welsh and I still remember her wonderful Welsh cakes with great fondness, and I now feel the need to try to track some down!

Being a Platz product these should go together without any issues at all and I really like the decal options, they cover the full service life of the Thud. Have you decided on which scheme/schemes you are going with? I say schemes as I see there are 2 kits in the box and wondered how many you were building here.

Welcome to the GB my friend, i shall be watching with great interest.

🇺🇦

• Like 1

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

Have you decided on which scheme/schemes you are going with? I say schemes as I see there are 2 kits in the box and wondered how many you were building here.

Thanks again Craig. I am going to try and finish both kits here, and I am going to go with Scheme A for one and Memphis Belle II for the second.

John

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have made a start on one of these - removing the lumps and bumps not applicable to the airframe for Scheme A in the box, and gluing the fuselage and wing parts together too.

52166174989_96eec9ec01_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

52165942478_2ecaaa3399_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Back with more soon.

John

• Like 5

10 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Very nice work John, this one is taking shape really well.

It looks like a very nicely detailed kit.

🇺🇦

Thanks Craig. It's a nice little kit with enough detail for this scale and being a snap fit kit makes the assembly easy. I've removed some of the locating pins along with corresponding hex-sockets to give space for nose weight, and reduced the length of the others for a more conventional assembly.

The trailing edges are very thin and I am being careful around those areas so that I don't snap anything.

Cheers again mate.

John

• Like 1

I finished assembling the main parts for the kit Option A Thud. I had primed the wings in readiness for some silver on the inside of the intakes, then remebered it was an overall metal finish, so there would be little point in me doing that for this one. :dunce: :doh: :lol:  Small amounts of filler were needed in gaps around the base of the fin, along the wing roots on the underside and the rear fuselage section, but that has been it for this build.

52171553373_c9db242acc_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

52171800259_f9397de498_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

52170530167_9e068e6f60_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

52172030420_f417f23bb5_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

I don't think that the nose pitot will survive the rest of the journey, so I have ordered a couple of Master turned brass replacements for both models.Time now for an overall primer coat and if everything looks OK I can get on with the topcoat.

John

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Dansk said:

good john. with a primer coat it should look sweet.

Thanks Paul. Once the primer was on I noticed a couple of areas where I had removed parts, they required another sanding to remove the ghost of those bits. 

3 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Very nice work John, she's gone together really well.

🇺🇦

Cheers Craig, The fit of parts was very good for this type of kit and the undercarriage legs are some of the thinnest I have seen in this scale. I primed the fuselage with a matt primer then sprayed some satin black over the top, once that had dried I added a couple of coats of Bare Metal Silver (AS-12) from a Tamiya rattle can..

52171292257_e77a04cb57_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

52172562644_280c55d382_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Thanks again for your comments fellas.

Regards

John

• Like 4

On 25/06/2022 at 20:58, modelling minion said:

Nice finish John and very appropriate as these aircraft were painted in aluminium lacquer.

🇺🇦

Thanks buddy. I have done some more painting, and it is almost ready for decals.

52183713567_bbe9a2b3c8_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

A bit more work around the nose to fit this, then that should be it. I have caught the kit part a couple of times, but amazingly it has stayed in place so far. :tapedshut: 

52185219290_e3a1b1db55_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Regards.

John

• Like 4

@modelling minion, @Dansk

Thanks again for the commets guys. As you can see I have removed the plastic pitot, and not so easily seen is the 0.3mm hole that I have drilled for the replacement part. I have left that off for the time being. Decalling got underway yesterday afternoon and as can be seen I had most of those on by the evening. Today I have painted up the drop tanks, and undercarriage legs, the main legs come with doors moulded in place so there will be a tricky decal session to come when I have to position those that cross the undercarriage bays over the doors.

52188842399_d06beaca73_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

52188587791_c3ff626548_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

52188597758_9cd4c79371_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Cheers.

John

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/07/2022 at 19:03, modelling minion said:

Looking great John.

I like that you chose an aircraft from the 36th TFW from Bitburg, an often overlooked stationing for the Thud.

🇺🇦

Thanks for your comment Craig, and for the information, I had no chance of working anything out from these Japanese instructions other than 23 and 1962. :lol:

52213812146_21793179d5_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Anyway, after painting a couple of the final details I finished this one today.

52213812386_f165857a89_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

52214290660_175f74069c_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Cheers

John

• Like 9

A great result John.

Your Thud looks excellent and will make a worthy addition to the gallery.

I am very impressed with much detail there is on her for 1/144 scale, and your building a finishing of course which have produced a superb model of the Thud in what I think is one of it's best schemes.

Very well done mate.👍

🇺🇦

• Like 1

• nimrod54 changed the title to F-105D Thunderchief x2 - One down, one to go.