F-105D Thunderchief x2 - ## FINISHED ##

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 16/07/2022 at 08:36, Tim R-T-C said:

Lovely build and nice choice of scheme.

On 07/09/2022 at 16:21, Hockeyboy76 said:

That’s really smart. 

Cheers chaps. I did a bit of prep on the second kit this afternoon, assembly should be easy but with a complex camo scheme for 'Memphis Belle II' lets hope that I can get it over the line. :fingerscrossed:

52374810889_57723e7746_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 2

The second Thud is ticking along but it is looking as though it will not be finished before the deadline now. Work on our bathroom starts on Monday and Mrs N has one or two things for me to sort out before they come. :shrug:

The major part of the assembly work is done, though the wing tip of the starboard wing seems to want to curl upwards. I have tried repositioning it after dipping in hot water but an hour or so later it returns to the previous state. My final effort to try and resolve the issue will be add to add some relief cuts on the opposite side with a scribing tool and fill the grooves with super glue, hopefully that will hold it.

52379866517_8a96e9122d_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

52380803971_de42bc15cf_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Cheers for now.

John

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Sorry about the issue with the wingtip John, I hope that your fix works.

Please don't try to rush this for the deadline mate, you have done more than enough for the GB and I would much rather see this finished to your usual high standard at a later date.

🇺🇦

I'm sure that the superglue will sort things out Craig, the shallow cuts should give the 'Wafferr Thin' tip enough flex to straighten it. The other option, one that I am hoping to avoid, is to make a replacement from plastic sheet, which won't be easy now that I have glued the wings in place.  :wall: I won't be rushing to get it finished now though mate, if I get the tip sorted I may get some primer on tomorrow, but that will be about it. I'll just sit back and watch for the other great builds to make it into one of the galleries.

John

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dansk said:

The bathroom can wait - it will always be there.

Mrs N should understand the deadline in the GB is much more important 😊

Well done Paul, you have been nominated for the job of explaining to SWMBO the reasons for me carrying on with my plastic welding. Now where did I put my tin hat. 🤣

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

We are surrounded by fixtures and fittings for the bathroom here, but I have snatched some time over the past couple of weekends to progress the painting on my second 105. I brushed on the grey and tan colours last weekend and made a start on the lighter of the two greens today, as you can see, I still have some more to map out before I can start  adding a second coat.

52414389437_fa87f99242_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

52415413878_3d7c5247a0_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Normal service should be resumed next week.

John

• Like 2

I love this thread! :thumbsup:

On 7/13/2022 at 8:24 AM, nimrod54 said:

I had no chance of working anything out from these Japanese instructions other than 23 and 1962. :lol:

52213812146_21793179d5_c.jpg

From Google Translate on my phone:

U.S. Air Force 23rd Tactical Fighter Squadron, West Germany, Bitburg Air Force Base, 1962

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 09/10/2022 at 19:49, modelling minion said:

Great to see you continuing with this one John and doing a very good job on the painting mate.

🇺🇦

On 09/10/2022 at 20:02, dnl42 said:

I love this thread! :thumbsup:

Thanks for retaining interest chaps,  and cheers to @dnl42 for confirming build 1 airframe details.

My apologies for the slow progress on build #2, I am busy with a family matter which is taking longer to sort than expected and keeps eating into my modelling hours. That said, I have snatched enough time to wrap up the painting and add a gloss coat, the plan is to get the decals on over the next week, then I should be able to get the last of the details like the replacement pitot and drop tanks sorted.

52465325849_73cbbabea2_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

52465594548_d54fd105f5_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Cheers for now

John

• Like 4

• nimrod54 changed the title to F-105D Thunderchief x2 - ## FINISHED ##

A great result John, I am really glad that you continued the build and kept us updated here.

You have achieved a superb finish and if I didn't know what the scale is I would swear that it is larger than 1/144.

Thanks for having taken part in the GB and for supporting it so well and producing such excellent models.

🇺🇦

• Like 1

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

A great result John, I am really glad that you continued the build and kept us updated here.

You have achieved a superb finish and if I didn't know what the scale is I would swear that it is larger than 1/144.

Thanks for having taken part in the GB and for supporting it so well and producing such excellent models.

🇺🇦

Thanks again Craig and for all of your comments along the way through this prolonged build. It was a pleasure to be able take part in this GB mate, things just seemed to tick along nicely and I've had a great deal of fun along the way. I look forward to joining you in future group builds.

Cheers.

John

41 minutes ago, dnl42 said:

Nicely done! :clap2:

You've shown me how much I missed when I passed on the oportunity to get this kit.

Cheers buddy, and my thanks to you for also taking the time to drop by and pass comment on progress. I hope that you have enjoyed tagging along and that you are able to have another chance to acquire this kit.

Regards.

John

Here are a few more photos of my second build

F-105D Thunderchief - Memphis Belle II

USAF, 357TFS, RU-504, 60-0504

Mark 1 Models 1/144

Brush painted with MIG Ammo Acrylic and Citadel paints

Replacement pitot Master turned brass

52483887162_264758aa17_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

52484381986_88582fd8b5_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

52483887502_14de53a9e1_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

52484654499_1b850034cc_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

and a final shot alondside her stablemate.

52484841610_87c9516804_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Well, that's it for this one folks. Thanks again to everyone involved in making this such an enjoyable group build, and a special thankyou to my modelling buddy and fellow Britmodeller @Hockeyboy76 for donating these kits, hope that like what I have done with them mate.

John

• Like 4